Help identifying this pen.

gatatl863

I am trying to identify what Montblanc pen I have here.   I picked it up at an estate sale earlier this year and am just now getting around to inking it up.  Any information would be appreciated.

5DCE70B1-74F7-471B-BB74-BA8D3D868887.jpeg

B6A84463-EBED-4C20-BB6D-F29F1D114E50.jpeg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joss

• gatatl863

• Paul-in-SF

• MarcoA63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should post this in the Montblanc forum as well. There you will have a better chance of getting a positive ID.

fpn_1389205880__post_card_exchange_small.png

Not being familiar with the 644 model, I tried to look it up. Every one that I could find a photo of, including one with apparently the identical body, had regular open nibs instead of this style of nib (I forget what it is usually called), a nib which I associate with the 252-254-256 line. My 256 clearly has a lower trim package, but the shape looks identical. Interesting. 

42 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Not being familiar with the 644 model, I tried to look it up. Every one that I could find a photo of, including one with apparently the identical body, had regular open nibs instead of this style of nib (I forget what it is usually called), a nib which I associate with the 252-254-256 line. My 256 clearly has a lower trim package, but the shape looks identical. Interesting. 

That is a good point. The nib on the OP's pen is the Wing nib (Flügel Feder). From the "Collectible Stars 1946-1979" book I learn that the 642/644 models with open nib are 1952-1956 while those with Wing nib are 1957-59. The Wing nib itself was introduced in 1954 on the 252/254/256 model range. I think that the Wing nib with the 'accolade' decoration, as seen on the OP's pen, was however unique for the 642/644 and 742/744 models.

3 hours ago, joss said:

I think that the Wing nib with the 'accolade' decoration, as seen on the OP's pen, was however unique for the 642/644 and 742/744 models.

Yes, my 256 nib is much more plain, as is the material (plain black). 

Those 644's I found online seem to be pretty highly prized (and priced). Is the appeal mostly the more interesting material, and the additional trim (gold ring separating the piston knob)? Or just the relative rarity?

being Italian and reading the entry on the page with related translations I beg to differ. 'Mano a mano' in the colloquial form means 'as you proceed' in a task, your expertise in a field or your learning curve increases. Have never used it in other contexts which doesn't mean they are not correct 😊

11 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Those 644's I found online seem to be pretty highly prized (and priced). Is the appeal mostly the more interesting material, and the additional trim (gold ring separating the piston knob)? Or just the relative rarity?

I think that it is indeed the attractive appearance plus the relative rarity. A Montblanc brochure from circa 1954 quotes retail prices in Deutsche Mark (DM): the 644 with gold filled cap (a steel cap or solid gold cap was also available) sold for 70 DM while the 254 was 'only' 28 DM and Monblanc's top of the line 149 was 90 DM.

Interestingly, the retail price of the 642 (or 644) was identical regardless of the barrel colour (plain black, green striated or grey striated). Today, the striated 642/644 generally demands twice the amount of the black 642/644.