Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

How to fill vintage Stetson demonstrator?

GreenMountain

Hi Folks,

I have a vintage Stetson that Greg Menuskin re-tipping and cleaned wonderfully.  It has a rubber end with a small metal tube inside for filling.  It holds a tremendous amount of ink and is my favorite pen, smooth and free-flowing.

The issue with this pen is that I don't know how to fill it.  I've tried putting the nib in ink and sucking ink in by squeezing the rubber but this only fills the reservoir a little. 

Does someone here knows how this fill mechanism is supposed to work?  Also, what is the name of this pen? The barrel is marked "STETSON P&P Co. Ink. N.Y."

Stetson Pen s.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eckiethump

• pen lady

• GreenMountain

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you tried this? After filling it as much as you can by compressing the bulb, turn the pen nib-up and carefully squeeze the bulb again to expel any remaining air in the barrel, then dip the nib in the ink again and release the pressure on the bulb.  If you've already tried this, then I don't know, sorry.

Known as a bulb, sometimes postal filler.

It does look like one of the strange Mentmore/Platignum Visi Ink pens, where the breather tube is connected to the end of the barrel and not the feed as normal. The feed on these pens have a helical groove, from a technical aspect I can't figure out how these pens work ? Ones I have dealt with, I have two of my own, one works, one doesn't, I do think the critical distance is between the end of the breather tube (connected to the end of the barrel) and the feed.

It would not be too much of a task to convert a feed and insert a breather tube, for standard type filling.

Eric

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Pen Lady and eckiethump, thanks very much for your replies.  Pen Lady, that's what I thought I should do.  It's a little messy, but does allow more ink to be sucked up.  I think I'll try repeated air expelling/filling and see what happens with water the next time I clean the pen.

I have some Shaeffer Peacock ink that was much too light in my usual Platinum Fine pens; this Stetson works very well with light inks.

eckiethump, since my filler does somewhat work, I'll persist for a bit and keep in mind that I could change the fill mechanism if I get tired of playing with it.  FYI, the breather tube extends maybe half way down inside the rubber part.