Mechanical pencil leads

What is everyone's preference of brand for leads? 

I like dark, smooth, leads. I tend to write with the smaller sizes, and I'm not a serial lead breaker. 

Currently (mostly for writing) I'm using;

0.3mm: Uni Nano Dia 2B

0.4mm: Pentel Ain Stein 2B

0.5mm: Rotring 2B / Pilot Neox 2B

The Rotring 0.5mm 2B leads are my favourite, and conveniently are also by far the cheapest in the UK (though a pack last a couple of years, so cost is practically irrelevant).

0.4mm is my preference of lead size, but in the UK you can't buy Uni Nano Dia or Pilot Neox in this size, leading to Pentel Ain Stein cornering the market. I'll need some more 0.4mm leads soon, and the Ain Stein ones are acceptable, so I might have to buy some unless I move back to Asia in the near future. They're ok, but I prefer the other two brands. While I said price is practically irrelevant, it didn't escape my attention that the Pentel leads sell for 1/5th the UK price in Japan and China.

For art I've tried some 2mm leads, but I've not loved any leads at this size yet- none I've found are close to matching Mitsubishi Hi-Uni/Tombow Mono 100/Caran d'Ache Grafwood and Technograph 777 woodcase pencils. Some of the leads I've tried at this size have been very poor, notably the horribly gritty Koh-I-Noor leads.

Please share your opinions, folks. Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• miwishi63

• RJS

• txomsy

• JaxFP

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently using:

0.5 Foray 2H

0.7 Pentel Super Hi Polymer HB

0.9 Pentel Super Hi Polymer HB

Nothing fancy. 

I've tried staedtler leads. They are good. I preferred them to Berol.  My favourite leads, and the ones I currently use, are Derwent 0.7s.

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I'd decided that I'd use 1B leads in my Pentel P205, so I bought a gross of them. They were pretty good. But I was mostly using fountain pens after a while. Then I got some good buys from a big pack of Zebra .5 MM and .7 MM leads, and those have been mostly what I've been using, when I'm using a mechanical pencil. Actually, I think I'll mess around with that P205 a little bit today.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I'm using 5.6mm sanguine Gioconda leads and 5.6mm Koh-I-Noor leads for sketching.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 2 weeks later...

Much as I enjoy writing with my fountain pens, I do find a mechanical pencil is the best "low hassle" option for taking notes when I'm away from my desk.

I tend to this use Pentel's "Ain Stein" leads and have never had cause for complaint. They come in a variety of widths and hardnesses, seem to be widely available in the UK, and are very reasonably priced.

Out of interest, what pencils do people here tend to use? I have a trusty Rotring 600 which is heavy and robust as a tank. Currently eyeing up a new model though, perhaps a Kuru Toga Roulette or a Staedtler 925.

I have been using an Autopoint pencil lately and in that I have some lead from the Legendary Lead Company which is I believe a 5B.

I use 0.5, 0.7, 0.9, 2.0 and stick to either 2B or 4B.

Pentel Ain Stein or Uni Nano Dia with the occasional Staedtler/Koh-i-Noor.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

On 8/14/2022 at 11:14 AM, danielbird193 said:

Out of interest, what pencils do people here tend to use? I have a trusty Rotring 600 which is heavy and robust as a tank. Currently eyeing up a new model though, perhaps a Kuru Toga Roulette or a Staedtler 925.

Lately I've been using a Pentel  GraphGear 1000, as it is robust and retracts the tip well. My Pentel Sharp Kerry is my travelling pencil of choice. 

However, my favourite mechanical pencil is the Pilot S20, hands down. No retractable nib means it lives on my desk at home.

(Sentimental value to my grandfather's Yard-O-Led, but I don't use it much because of the thick lead.)

Edit: Ooh, I've just seen that Pilot now do a ballpoint version of this pen. I somehow suspect one of those might be winging it's way to me from Japan soon. It's such a pity Pilot don't sell their good stuff in Europe, and that when they do they feel the need to treble the price.

Edit 2: I like the two pencils you mention, the Kuru Toga Roulette and the Staedtler 925- I have the 2mm clutch version of the 925, and it would be perfect if the end cap didn't rattle and was made from aluminium like the rest of the body.

I use a Zebra M301 with .5 lead for fine work. I use several Sheaffer vintage pencils with .9 for sketching, note taking, etc. I'm looking to expand into other brands as finances allow.

Mike

• 2 months later...

Pentel Ain Stein in .5mm is my favorite. Use it regularly in my vintage Pilot Vanishing Point H1005 pencil.

My regular FPN account is "Original PointyThings". This account was started a while back so I could claim my screen name of "PointyThings."

I'm still using Eagle Turquoise 2mm leads (all grades).  I have a supply that will last a lifetime.  These were made before Berol bought Eagle - and then Sanford bought Berol - and then Sanford got absorbed into Newell/Rubbermaid.  The leads (and lead holders) are from the late '60s / early '70s.  I also have a lifetime supply of Eagle Turquoise wooden pencils (again, all grades), but I don't use them nearly as much as the 2mm leads.

I also use some Pentel Sharps and Sharp Kerrys with Pentel Ain Stein leads for when I need tiny lines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 10:33 PM, RJS said:

For art I've tried some 2mm leads, but I've not loved any leads at this size yet- none I've found are close to matching Mitsubishi Hi-Uni/Tombow Mono 100/Caran d'Ache Grafwood and Technograph 777 woodcase pencils. Some of the leads I've tried at this size have been very poor, notably the horribly gritty Koh-I-Noor leads.

Did you try the Caran d'Ache 2mm leads? They are pretty much similar to what they put in the Technographs 777. I'd suggest going one grade darker than what you're used to as latest productions run pretty hard.

Also you can try the Uni 2mm leads, not quite Hi-Uni quality but not bad. And the Hi-Uni leads exist in 0,3 and 0,5mm too :)

I use Pentel 2B and Pilot Neox 2B in my 0.5 and 0.7 pencils. I recently got a vintage 1.1 pencil and I’m using Legendary Lead Company 4B in it at the moment (I also got some 5B to try). 

21 hours ago, doriath19 said:

I use Pentel 2B and Pilot Neox 2B in my 0.5 and 0.7 pencils. I recently got a vintage 1.1 pencil and I’m using Legendary Lead Company 4B in it at the moment (I also got some 5B to try). 

The legendary lead 5B is so nice. It is what I am currently running in my Waterman 52 and Autopoint.

57 minutes ago, JaxFP said:

The legendary lead 5B is so nice. It is what I am currently running in my Waterman 52 and Autopoint.

I started with B and 2B and found them just too hard. So I got the 4B and 5B. I’ll try the 5B and once I settle on what I like best I plan to stock up. 

I had the hardest time finish 1.1 leads. Then I saw about Legendary Lead Company here somewhere and looked them up. It’s pretty cool that he is selling all different vintage leads for reasonable prices. 

• 2 weeks later...

depends , different need require different lead size

- writing 0.4/0.5mm lead B or 2B

- sketching 0.3mm F/H + 3B

- quick jotting EDC 0.7/0.9mm B

A lot also hinges on which mechanical pencil are being used , some are just good fit for a certain size and certain application when others excel at other usage

I typically go with HiPolymer and call it a day for standard sizes, though my 2mm size is typically June Gold. Occasionally I'll use a 5.6mm lead for drawing, but for now, I'm still using "whatever it comes with" as I have tended to destroy the holder before I end up using up the lead so far. ...then again, I haven't even made a pass for a "good" lead holder in the 5.6mm size yet.

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.