Delike New Moon 2

New pen arrived today in a Moonman box, sold on Amazon as a New Moon 2. Nib and barrel branded Delike. After a flush and a rinse this is almost as smooth a writer as a TWSBI. Good looking pen for not a lot of dinero.

IMG_1101.jpg.fa7d51ee66adc80b879d7bb39dc0eb46.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Mech-for-i

• miwishi63

• Rebbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like a nice pen! The price point is well within my range for an impulse buy. What size is the nib and is it a #6?

Mike

1 hour ago, miwishi63 said:

Looks like a nice pen! The price point is well within my range for an impulse buy. What size is the nib and is it a #6?

Mike

Looks like a #5 nib.  Fair price for $22.99 on Amazon, which is approximately $1 cheaper than

on Ebay-$23.97-$23.98.

1 hour ago, miwishi63 said:

Mike

Sold as a fine, and puts down ink like one. Great little writer so far.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

2 hours ago, miwishi63 said:

What size is the nib and is it a #6?

The Delike New Moon 2 uses the Delike No.24 nib (unit), like all Delike-branded models do, as far as I know (and I have/had quite a few different Delike pen models).

See this product listing in the Majohn Factory Store on Taobao for details in terms of how the nib unit is designated, its physical dimensions, and the nib width grades and types available.

Descriptions of “#5” and “#6” are meaningless to Chinese fountain pen brands / manufacturers, and so are unhelpful when looking at proper replacement nib options. Some Chinese nibs (e.g. Delike nibs) that are designed to go around nominally 5mm-diameter feeds are “No.24” (or “24#”), i.e. 24mm in total length, while others (e.g. HongDian) are No.26. Some Chinese nibs designed to go around nominally 6mm-diameter feeds are 32mm long, some 35mm, and some are in-between. Instead of trying to shoehorn Chinese pen products into one's terminology or understanding based largely on a limited subset of Western pens, such as those that use JoWo or Bock nibs, one should try to wrap his/her head around how Chinese pen manufacturers see and designate things, and then reconcile that information internally to one's preferred framing.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just as @A Smug Dill had stated the misconception of a universal no.5 nib , well it's not universal 

Delike had always had their nib unit equipped with the said 24mm nib which itself was used on Chinese fountain pens dating all the way back to the 1950…'s though with some variation along the way 

22 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

The Delike New Moon 2 uses the Delike No.24 nib (unit), like all Delike-branded models do, as far as I know (and I have/had quite a few different Delike pen models).

See this product listing in the Majohn Factory Store on Taobao for details in terms of how the nib unit is designated, its physical dimensions, and the nib width grades and types available.

Descriptions of “#5” and “#6” are meaningless to Chinese fountain pen brands / manufacturers, and so are unhelpful when looking at proper replacement nib options. Some Chinese nibs (e.g. Delike nibs) that are designed to go around nominally 5mm-diameter feeds are “No.24” (or “24#”), i.e. 24mm in total length, while others (e.g. HongDian) are No.26. Some Chinese nibs designed to go around nominally 6mm-diameter feeds are 32mm long, some 35mm, and some are in-between. Instead of trying to shoehorn Chinese pen products into one's terminology or understanding based largely on a limited subset of Western pens, such as those that use JoWo or Bock nibs, one should try to wrap his/her head around how Chinese pen manufacturers see and designate things, and then reconcile that information internally to one's preferred framing.

Good information. Thank you. I'm still learning the designations for nib sizes and was unaware of the differences, perhaps because I recently ordered and received some Jinhao branded nibs from a Chinese vender advertised as #6 nibs. Perhaps a concession to the U.S. market?

Mike

2 hours ago, miwishi63 said:

… a Chinese vender advertised as #6 nibs. Perhaps a concession to the U.S. market?

A concession on the part of that independent retailer, or seller on an (outward-facing, and most likely English language) electronic marketplace platform, yes, probably. Easy to do, in the sense of that vendor not having to take any responsibility for compatibility with whichever non-Jinhao pens into which the individual purchaser may intend to install those nibs.

The Chinese fountain pen (and/or nib) brand owners, and their ‘flagship’ or official shopfronts on Taobao, JD, and AliExpress, etc. just about never use such descriptions in their marketing images, product specifications and item listings.

I don't think it's a matter of “the U.S. market”, although it certainly seems to me that, in spite of “#6” being primarily JoWo's terminology, and hence of European/German origin, that got “borrowed” to apply to other brands such as Bock and Schmidt that primarily make and sell nibs (and nib units) wholesale as parts to writing instrument manufacturers, it's a far bigger thing among a vocal segment of American hobbyists — and, by extension, some fountain pen users elsewhere who (unfortunately?) learnt primarily from blog articles, reddit and forum posts, and videos made by those American hobbyists and US-based retailers — than with German and more broadly European fountain pen hobbyists, as far as the “market” goes. Major, long-standing, highly prominent European brands such as Pelikan, Lamy, Aurora do not use “#5” and “#6”, etc. to describe their nibs. Even Diplomat and Visconti, which I know used JoWo and Bock nibs in their fountain pen models, don't use those descriptors either. Neither do Graf von Faber-Castell and S.T. Dupont, as far as I'm aware. It goes without saying that the Japanese “Big Three” fountain pen brands don't.

So, using descriptors such as “#6” to market nibs and nib units not made by JoWo or Bock seems to be designed to appeal to a minority segment in the hobbyist market; it's just that the particular minority seems to be more prominent among hobbyists in the US than elsewhere.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, MuddyWaters said:

I didn't know delike was made by majohn ... :@

There was a misconception that they were made by the same Mfr , but reality is early Moonman pens was indeed OEM manufactured ( in part and in batches ) by Delike but later ones are all done inhouse once their capacity and production line all settled .. Delike , also , is neither a new name , it had been around since the 70's ( and was using this same name since back then )

if you happen to had both Moonman and Delike pens then you will find that their nib unit do not interchange at all , which testify to their separate origin

I am sure Kaweco is not fond of the Delike Alpha but by then it had nothing to do with Moonman , collateral damage instead is how I see it , but I suppose some of the Moonman also contribute. Delike as of today still do loads of OEM both for domestic and export and that is their major business  , Moonman on the other hand is more about doing their own pens. And yes AFAIK, Delike do occasionally still take OEM order from Moonman ( latest , I think , is the N6 )

26 minutes ago, Mech-for-i said:

if you happen to had both Moonman and Delike pens then you will find that their nib unit do not interchange at all , which testify to their separate origin

I don't agree that such would be conclusive evidence that the brands aren't produced in the same factory and/or owned by the same company. I didn't say they're just rebranding of the same product models differently.

By the way, a Delike No.24 nib unit will fit and work in a Moonman S1 pen. (I just tried.) However, it is true that (the total length of) the thread and the nipple on Delike and Moonman units are not exactly the same.

I do agree, being different brand does not exclude them from being manufactured under the same factory , which actually happen a lot in Chinese fountain pen industry s.. Delike and Moonman had long been in business with each other so it would not be a surprise , my take is they are still 2 brand , and AFAIK  , not of the same company. I would not be surprised that Delike take up a lot of the manufacturing since Delike had been and always been a manufacturing concern before its brand as a pen brand where Moonman is the exact opposite 

Speaking of it , you might want to check multiple Moonman nib unit, cause Moonman had a nasty habit of having different nib unit between different models despite the nib / feed are of the same sized form factor , some S series nib unit will fit others but not some others ( specifically the N series ) and the M series seems to had the form factor going back to the old original Moonman nib unit form factor , I had not run through all the no.6 / 35mm nib unit they had so I cannot say for sure if those are in the same

1 minute ago, Mech-for-i said:

Speaking of it , you might want to check multiple Moonman nib unit,

I only have the one Moonman pen with a Moonman-branded No.24 nib unit. My seven (or eight? I lost count) Moonman M100 and M200 pens use Schmidt nibs, and so their sections are tapped differently. The other Moonman pens I have use either the larger No.35 nib units or (in a variant of the model 800) Bock “#6” nib units; and I have no Delike pen models that use larger nibs than the No.24, nor am I aware of any such model.