Help identifying if there is problem with nib on hard-starting Mont Blanc.

ihatehardstarting

Hello,

I have recently discovered an old Mont Blanc Unicef fountain pen. It was unused for a relatively long time so I flushed it with water. However, when I tried it afterwards, it had major hard-starting issues. I thought that maybe there was still some dried ink in the feed so I flushed it again with ammonia solution this time; it still had the same issue. I then left it to soak overnight in water, but it was still hard-starting. I then thought that it was perhaps the fault of the ink. I was using Pelikan 4001 royal blue ink which I have read online is a very dry ink, so I diluted it with a lot of distilled water. This still did not fix the problem. 

Therefore, I was wondering if the hard-starting was not due to the feed but rather the nib. I have heard of problems such as baby's bottom but I have little experience and I am not sure I can identify it. Thus I have included some pictures of the nib and kindly ask that you could take a look and tell me if everything is in order, or what steps I could take to try to fix the hard-starting. 

IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

IMG_8318.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

IMG_8307.JPG

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• InesF

• amberleadavis

• TheDutchGuy

• ihatehardstarting

Hi @ihatehardstarting.

The nib appears to be in technically perfect condition. If there is a problem with ink flow from the reservoir to the nib, it may be a blockage in the feed. Soak the nib and feed in water with a bit detergent added, observe if ink comes out over night or during the next 2-3 days.

I guess it isn't.

The tines of your nib are almost completely closed, which is not necessarily faulty but is not that good either. If the tines do not open when you touch the paper with gentle pressure, ink may not flow.

Alternatively, the slit between tines does squeeze out the remaining ink (back into the feed) when shortly not in use and new ink has to flow back in (from the feed) which needs a bit time → this is the "hard start" you observe and is more of a "slow start".

You may open the tines a bit by yourself.

Look two or three different videos with the topic: "making a fountain pen writing more wet". And then decide.

Be careful! Be extremely careful! Be aware, there is a chance to ruin your nib totally!

Good luck!

One life!

The last two photos might indicate some baby’s bottom. Depending on paper and how you write, that may be the cause. 

Also consider a wetter ink.  @InesF who has already given you some great advice is an expert on ink wetness.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 7/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, TheDutchGuy said:

The last two photos might indicate some baby’s bottom. Depending on paper and how you write, that may be the cause. 

Indeed, that's a possibility as well. Thanks @TheDutchGuy!

At my first inspection, I estimated the rounding not to be big enough while appearing to be bigger because of ink sitting there.

One life!

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Also consider a wetter ink.  @InesF who has already given you some great advice is an expert on ink wetness.

Thanks @amberleadavis !

If a low surface tension ink solves the problem, it was indeed babies bottom. In such a case I would recommend to first fix the nib problem and than select an ink you like.

One life!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, ihatehardstarting said:

I was using Pelikan 4001 royal blue ink which I have read online is a very dry ink, so I diluted it with a lot of distilled water. This still did not fix the problem. 

I didn't see if anyone already mentioned this but water is (funny enough) not a lubricant. Adding water to an ink will thin it out and make it even drier. And considering Pelikan ink is already on the dry side, this could make the problem even worse. Give a wetter ink a try and let us know how that goes.

One can temporary use 100%-50% cotton paper to overcome the baby bottom hard start.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.