EFNIR: Herbin Bleu Nuit

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Herbin Bleu Nuit

This is review #191 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was quick and easy except the ink wanted to cling to the inside of my converter. Fortunately, with Pilot converters, a cotton bud takes care of that easily. :) When I first inked the pen, the ink had a purple-ish hue when wet, but dried to a muted, pale blue that sort of reminds me of faded denim. I haven't noticed the purplish hue since day 1 (until cleaning, when it returned). I have nothing close to shade of blue, so the other swatches in the video are more to show what it doesn't look like. :)

Screenshot: Not too far off

Scan: Not too bad, shading too prominent

Zoom: Should be more muted

Absorbent paper: Close

Copy paper: Should be more muted

The line width measurement is one of the lines used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 315µm. (For the curious, with 191 inks measured, the average line width is 294µm.)

The microscope slide wasn't that interesting, but it did have these hairy / feathery / pappus-like (new word day!) structures.  This one was more interesting than most, captured at 400x.

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.HerbinBleuNuit.jpg.b1f413e7eb7931dbc1f17c145e1c97a7.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.HerbinBleuNuitS.jpg.751776474f36e26f7f7f63da83aea16d.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.HerbinBleuNuitZ.jpg.021d7d3d7ee4d8bb7f1f215db245d80d.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.HerbinBleuNuitAP.jpg.b1db8b028e552af1a5a1144e96d6720b.jpg

Line width measured via microscope at 100x:
large.HerbinBleuNuitLW.jpg.ea59f836bca7a534e18088f37172ca7c.jpg

Microscope slide at 400x:
large.HerbinBleuNuitSmear.jpg.4479882fe4ce9da6d3775a1cba4bfe1f.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Previous Review: Waterman Tender Purple.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job @LizEF:thumbup:. This was one of my earliest insk and one of the few bottles that used 2/3 of :) .

It's a nice muted ink. 

I would love to see the scene of Essri gobbling cheeseburgers... :D

35 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job @LizEF:thumbup:.

Thanks! :)

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It's a nice muted ink. 

Yes, right up @namrehsnoom's alley. :D

36 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I would love to see the scene of Essri gobbling cheeseburgers... :D

:lol: Me too!

Wheee!  Sound effects!

I have not only this ink, but one of your Comparisons, Diamine Misty Blue, which I coincidentally took out and gazed at yesterday. 

Thanks once again for the review, the story, the pizzas.  I want one of those bags!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

42 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Wheee!  Sound effects!

:lol:

43 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I have not only this ink, but one of your Comparisons, Diamine Misty Blue, which I coincidentally took out and gazed at yesterday. 

:)  Of the two, I prefer Misty Blue.

Thanks once again for the review, the story, the pizzas.

:D  You're very welcome!

I want one of those bags!

:lol: Don't we all!?

Quite a fan of this color and the ink's behavior, except that I wish it were a little more durable against the elements. Herbin really does have quite a good set of colors. 

10 minutes ago, arcfide said:

I wish it were a little more durable against the elements

:) Yes, that's one thing about most paler / muted inks - they tend to wash away easily.

11 minutes ago, arcfide said:

Herbin really does have quite a good set of colors. 

Agreed - nice, reliable variety of inks in their stable.

7 hours ago, LizEF said:

Yes, right up @namrehsnoom's alley. :D

Indeed … this certainly looks like an ink that I would enjoy. I have a number of J. Herbin inks, but this one is not among them. I’m seriously considering adding a bottle to my next purchase 😉

Thanks for continuing this series… there seems to be no end to the inks in your stash 😉 Keep them coming! What I find most useful is that you show the ink in a number of ways (screenshot, photo, scan, …) and mention which one looks closest to the real thing. Very helpful to get a good impression of the colour.

26 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

I’m seriously considering adding a bottle to my next purchase 😉

:lol: Hope you enjoy it if you do get it.  I found it even paler on absorbent paper, which seemed strange to me.  And who knows, the purple component may come out in artwork.

27 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Thanks for continuing this series…

Gladly!

27 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

there seems to be no end to the inks in your stash 😉

Thanks to the generous donations of multiple FPNers!

28 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Keep them coming!

No plans to stop (though I plan to slow down to once per week no later than January).  At the moment, I have enough inks to last through the end of 2023!

29 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

What I find most useful is that you show the ink in a number of ways (screenshot, photo, scan, …) and mention which one looks closest to the real thing. Very helpful to get a good impression of the colour.

Glad it helps - it's so hard to get accurate pictures, and impossible to know how they'll look on other people's screens.  Hopefully the accurate version is in there somewhere. :rolleyes: :lol:

Hi @LizEF.

Thank you for the review and for the story. The episodes are making me hungry - and I have really no clue why! :P

The blue seems to be a slightly muted Royal Blue. Generally interesting, but a bit too close to the school blue I used so many years. Recently, I found my way back to blue inks, when they are more saturated.

I like the microscopy of the slide quite a lot. This reminds me spontaneously to these pseudo-fractal images called "flame". Like this or like that.

"Astonishing, what nano-computer dispersed in fountain pen ink can do nowadays ..."

One life!

18 minutes ago, InesF said:

Hi @LizEF.

Thank you for the review and for the story.

:) You're very welcome!

18 minutes ago, InesF said:

The episodes are making me hungry - and I have really no clue why! :P

:lol: Blame Makhabesh!  He has cheeseburgers and pizza on the brain. ;)

19 minutes ago, InesF said:

The blue seems to be a slightly muted Royal Blue.

Yes.  I think my photos don't relay the muted / softness very well.

19 minutes ago, InesF said:

Generally interesting, but a bit too close to the school blue I used so many years. Recently, I found my way back to blue inks, when they are more saturated.

Well, this one definitely isn't more saturated. :)

21 minutes ago, InesF said:

I like the microscopy of the slide quite a lot. This reminds me spontaneously to these pseudo-fractal images called "flame". Like this or like that.

"Astonishing, what nano-computer dispersed in fountain pen ink can do nowadays ..."

:)  Very cool links!  It is amazing to me the stuff that can be found in these inks.  And baffling how they come about (maybe it's good I didn't take more chemistry classes - keeps the magic and wonder alive).  Wait until you see the glitter ink in review #194 - really, really cool microscopy. :D