• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Frank C

• Seney724

• JungleJim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My DHL package is finally moving, thanks to Herr Stolz from Fritz Schimpf who provided the US TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) Certificate. Both he and I sent in a copy of the certificates on 19 July and I just received an email this morning from Herr Stolz about the Customs Duty payment, so that means the package is in the next stage. Customs Duty for the pen and 2 pads of Fritz Schimpf Feinpost paper came to $79.27 which includes a DHL Processing fee of $27.75

And thank-you Herr Stolz for the wonderful writing sample that you just posted!

All the Best.

9 minutes ago, JungleJim said:

My DHL package is finally moving, thanks to Herr Stolz from Fritz Schimpf who provided the US TSCA (Toxic Substances Control Act) Certificate. Both he and I sent in a copy of the certificates on 19 July and I just received an email this morning from Herr Stolz about the Customs Duty payment, so that means the package is in the next stage. Customs Duty for the pen and 2 pads of Fritz Schimpf Feinpost paper came to $79.27 which includes a DHL Processing fee of $27.75

And thank-you Herr Stolz for the wonderful writing sample that you just posted!

All the Best.

Good news; happy for you!

Hope you enjoy the pen.

That's what's most important. 

But, I must say, this process should not have taken so long! 

I'm waiting for @Tom Kellie to finish testing every ink known to @amberleadavis in his Fritz-Schimpf No. 3 special Edition before I fill mine. He is saving me from lots of trial and error. By my calculations, he should be done in a few weeks. I can wait that long, I think.

@Tom Kellie, please keep up the good work. School probably starts next month, so I guess that you'll run out of inks about then. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

@Tom Kellie:  Thank you for all the excellent photos and writing samples.  I think, for the very first time, I can appreciate how the selection of the pen & nib can influence the appearance of the ink.

I do have two questions for you and the others who are testing out so many inks.  Do you actually fill the pen with the ink and then flush it out as soon as the writing sample is done?  It would seem to me that this is really the only way that one can fully appreciate the flow characteristic of the individual ink.  But, maybe I am wrong and all one need do is dip it???  Anyway, my main question is whether there  is any concern over the many times the piston mechanism is being used to fill and empty the pen??  I know that these pens are built to last a long, long, time but that's an awful lot of use of the piston which, over time, will eventually wear out.  Or, is this of no concern??

I just unscrew the nib, clean out the barrel and the nib, dry both with a paper towel, and put in new ink with a blunt syringe. Make sure you have a blunt syringe (!), as you can pierce the sealing of the piston or damage the barrel with regular needle. And to avoid unecessary mechanical fatigue on the plastic thread, don't tighten the nib all the way, just so the thread barely starts to resist. It doesn't have to be tightened to not leak, trust me, I've done it 100 times.

This is also the only way as far as I know how to try out ink samples, when you don't have a bottle.

Not all 149s have a removable nib-feed section, but new ones do.

I don't think dipping is a good way to test out an ink, because the feed is completely saturated and does not give you the performance you can expect with regular use.

I also wouldn't use the piston to clean out and refill the pen 10 times a day, but maybe that's just me. I have 30 ink samples I'm going through now, that's easily years worth of regular use on the pen within a week or so (think about how many times you would completely clean out your pen with regular use, just using 1 ink?). If nothing else, the lubricant is certainly not made for such use, and then you can expect wear and tear on the barrel for sure.

P.S.: since you don't wet the feed when filling with a syringe, you can wet it by turning the pen nib side up, and unscrewing the piston until you can see ink start to pool under the grip section. When you screw it back in, it will suck the ink back into the barrel, leaving the feed wet just enough for the pen to write. 

1 hour ago, Seney724 said:

I do have two questions for you and the others who are testing out so many inks.  Do you actually fill the pen with the ink and then flush it out as soon as the writing sample is done?  It would seem to me that this is really the only way that one can fully appreciate the flow characteristic of the individual ink.  But, maybe I am wrong and all one need do is dip it???  Anyway, my main question is whether there  is any concern over the many times the piston mechanism is being used to fill and empty the pen??  I know that these pens are built to last a long, long, time but that's an awful lot of use of the piston which, over time, will eventually wear out.  Or, is this of no concern??

Since I do not own this particular pen, I can only speak for other pens and my own ink testing: Whenever I use an ink and show writing samples thereof, the main writing is done with pens filled with that ink. Sometimes there are some lines done with a glass dip pen or ink splatters, but the main writing is done with fully inked pens. 

When there are "events" like the Diamine Inkvent and mostly when random inks are shown by me, the ink has been sitting in the pen for at least some hours, mostly over night if not even weeks before I do the writing samples. Only this way I can say whether something is clogging a pen or behaving weirdly, how it cleans out, etc.

Cleaning out pens with nib units that easily screw out like Pelikan's models, all you need to do is soaking the nib unit and cleaning out the barrel with a syringe, so no screwing is involved. Cleaning CC pens like most Pilot and Sailor pens is even less of a concern. Just take most of it apart and throw it into water, let it soak and maybe run everything through an ultrasonic cleaner. With my vintage and cork sealed Montblancs this is not possible or at least not advisable, and I suspect the telescope mechanism is even less likely to tolerate manic cleaning that would be necessary for such testing, so I refrain.

Some inks (and nibs in combination) only show distinct shading and/or sheen when the ink has been sitting in the pen for a while, so this may not be achieved here. But once the novelty has worn off and the first excitement has settled as the first few weeks of hot love that gave the piston a year's worth of work will slowly change into a calmer use.

Let's just be happy with @Tom Kellie who is like the happy kid in the candy store, excitedly trying everything out and letting us be happy with him. Seeing him trying all these inks shows so much joy and excitement that it is just fun and beautiful to witness. 😉 

1 hour ago, invisuu said:

I just unscrew the nib, clean out the barrel and the nib, dry both with a paper towel, and put in new ink with a blunt syringe.

Ah!!!!!

Thank you!!  In my haste to worry about an overuse of the piston mechanism, I did not think about this approach!

It makes very good sense, of course.

17 minutes ago, JulieParadise said:

Since I do not own this particular pen, I can only speak for other pens and my own ink testing: Whenever I use an ink and show writing samples thereof, the main writing is done with pens filled with that ink. Sometimes there are some lines done with a glass dip pen or ink splatters, but the main writing is done with fully inked pens. 

When there are "events" like the Diamine Inkvent and mostly when random inks are shown by me, the ink has been sitting in the pen for at least some hours, mostly over night if not even weeks before I do the writing samples. Only this way I can say whether something is clogging a pen or behaving weirdly, how it cleans out, etc.

Cleaning out pens with nib units that easily screw out like Pelikan's models, all you need to do is soaking the nib unit and cleaning out the barrel with a syringe, so no screwing is involved. Cleaning CC pens like most Pilot and Sailor pens is even less of a concern. Just take most of it apart and throw it into water, let it soak and maybe run everything through an ultrasonic cleaner. With my vintage and cork sealed Montblancs this is not possible or at least not advisable, and I suspect the telescope mechanism is even less likely to tolerate manic cleaning that would be necessary for such testing, so I refrain.

Some inks (and nibs in combination) only show distinct shading and/or sheen when the ink has been sitting in the pen for a while, so this may not be achieved here. But once the novelty has worn off and the first excitement has settled as the first few weeks of hot love that gave the piston a year's worth of work will slowly change into a calmer use.

Let's just be happy with @Tom Kellie who is like the happy kid in the candy store, excitedly trying everything out and letting us be happy with him. Seeing him trying all these inks shows so much joy and excitement that it is just fun and beautiful to witness. 😉 

Thank you @JulieParadise

Your prompt, very kind and informative replies are always so greatly appreciated!