USD
DUTY TAX RECEIVER (L3)
USD
Tax
USD
Total
USD
Tax

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Frank C

• Seney724

• JungleJim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank-you for your update, Frank C. My package is still stuck at DHL Customs with the same message. Calling DHL Customer Service multiple times results in me getting disconnected.

I am glad your package is on its way to you!

1 hour ago, JungleJim said:

Thank-you for your update, Frank C. My package is still stuck at DHL Customs with the same message. Calling DHL Customer Service multiple times results in me getting disconnected.

I am glad your package is on its way to you!

TSA stops some percentage of passengers at the airport regardless of how innocent they appear.  I wonder if freight carriers are required to do the same?

I received mine this morning, with a complimentary FS tablet, and two bottles of FS ink.  It’s a big, beautiful nib that writes wet, and (as I had hoped) to me feels cursive italic-stub-like more than straight-up italic.  It is very smooth, gliding like a skate across the paper.  It looks exactly like the pictures from FS.

21 minutes ago, Carrau said:

I received mine this morning, with a complimentary FS tablet, and two bottles of FS ink.  It’s a big, beautiful nib that writes wet, and (as I had hoped) to me feels cursive italic-stub-like more than straight-up italic.  It is very smooth, gliding like a skate across the paper.  It looks exactly like the pictures from FS.

Any chance you would be willing to share the amount you had to pay US Customs to import this item with a value greater than USD $800?

42 minutes ago, Seney724 said:

Any chance you would be willing to share the amount you had to pay US Customs to import this item with a value greater than USD $800?

Yes, I paid $51.11.

Unfortunately, the inks that Fritz Schimpf provided as a free gift has caused problems with DHL, and requires a Toxic Substances Control Act form stating that the inks are not hazardous must be sent in. I have emailed the form to DHL  early this morning, and hopefully the package will begin moving again. Herr Stolz from Fritz Schimpf also replied to me that if my form doesn't free the package, he will try on his end.

2 minutes ago, JungleJim said:

Unfortunately, the inks that Fritz Schimpf provided as a free gift has caused problems with DHL, and requires a Toxic Substances Control Act form stating that the inks are not hazardous must be sent in. I have emailed the form to DHL  early this morning, and hopefully the package will begin moving again. Herr Stolz from Fritz Schimpf also replied to me that if my form doesn't free the package, he will try on his end.

Actually, in my experience, that's pretty common. 

I'm in the USA.  For as long as I can remember, every time I have had an "ink pen" (fountain pen or ballpoint pen) delivered to me from Europe via DHL they have required I complete the form before allowing the package to progress.  Even if no ink was included in the package.  I've tried everything including having the shipper put "No ink is enclosed in this package" on the shipping documents.  I have come to just expect it. 

I have had the same with FedEx but not on a consistent basis.  Oddly enough, never with USPS!!!!!!

Be careful with the document.  The question you have to answer is confusing!  You want to check the box for a "Positive Certification."  (Not intuitively the correct choice!!!)

My package arrived yesterday, one day sooner than DHL stated. Apparently my ink was nontoxic. (Actually most ink is nontoxic; don't drink iron-gall ink!)

I am still trying to decide which ink to use in the Italic Edge. @Tom Kellie recommends a dry ink, so any MB or Fritz-Schimpf ink should work well. I wish @JungleJim well in getting his pen and ink. Sometimes these things just take a little time. 

I will work on photos over the weekend. My mother's 100th birthday is on Friday, so I am pretty busy coordinating that. She is the one who inspired me to use fountain pens; her only pen is a Parker 51 her father gave her in the 1940s. She always used Sheaffer Skrip Peacock blue in it. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Thank-you for your help and support @Seney724 and @Frank C. Herr Stolz has also informed me that he has emailed in to DHL a copy of the TSCA form. Quite nervewracking and exhausting, LOL. I've already ordered some Diamine Prussian Blue that seems to work very well according to @Tom Kellie's posts.

Congratulations to your mother's 100th Birthday!

14 minutes ago, JungleJim said:

Thank-you for your help and support @Seney724 and @Frank C. Herr Stolz has also informed me that he has emailed in to DHL a copy of the TSCA form. Quite nervewracking and exhausting, LOL. I've already ordered some Diamine Prussian Blue that seems to work very well according to @Tom Kellie's posts.

Congratulations to your Grandmother's 100th Birthday!

Let me know if DHL confiscates your Fritz-Schimpf ink. Nine bottles arrived in my box, including some duplicates. I can easily send them to California—I think.

I like Tom Kellie's Diamine Prussian Blue. For me, though, it is a little too plain to use in such an extravagant pen. Also, I am one to use only one ink in a given pen. I like to find a good ink and then stick with it. I have all the tools to disassemble a 149—or a 146—so I can thoroughly clean one if necessary. 

Thanks for the kind thoughts for my mother. She has looked forward to this for some time. 

3 hours ago, Tom Kellie said:

217200268_Pelikan4001.thumb.JPG.847abad27e39ca3201ce1f1097fa2c0e.JPG

@Tom Kellie (or @Fritz Schimpf)  how does that 70° writing to get a fine line work?  I understand rotating the pen, but I mean... can you write pages that way, or is it just until whatever ink is on the tipping is used?  If the former, how does that ink flow even work?

Can't wait for mine. This is going to be very exciting! While the cost is high, I think this satisfies my desire for a large custom nib from Montblanc, which would have been way more expensive than this. 

1 hour ago, XYZZY said:

@Tom Kellie (or @Fritz Schimpf)  how does that 70° writing to get a fine line work?  I understand rotating the pen, but I mean... can you write pages that way, or is it just until whatever ink is on the tipping is used?  If the former, how does that ink flow even work?

~ @XYZZY:

As to the technical innovations involved with ink flow at the nib face, both Montblanc and @Fritz Schimpf know best.

Yes, it's easily possible to write pages in the 70º rotated position. I've done exactly that within the past 12 hours.

The same nib comfortably writes whether in the high-shading broader stokes, or the narrower precise strokes.

Others may have a different experience and may know better, but my experience has been that inks known for their dry character dazzle in Italic Edge.

After numerous inkings and flushings, over two dozen different inks have been tried thus far.

Those more dry inks nonetheless yield lush broader strokes which bring out the best shading qualities.

They also make possible clear, easy to read narrow strokes when the nib is rotated.

Writing and sketching with Italic Edge is great fun!

Tom K.

@Frank C Since you live in Vegas, have you considered Montblanc Elvis?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY