FP Paper by the ream (affordable)?

David0966

Hello,

Have looked @ the posts from last year about affordable paper for FP, looked them up, and still pretty pricey.

Anyone know about perhaps buying FP friendly paper by the ream?

I'm looking for simple unlined paper, although certainly open to all options.

Appreciate any input, including "you're being unreasonable"

Thanks, David

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Karmachanic

• dipper

• David0966

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally don't think you're going to find it in the US.  And shipping it from overseas instantly makes it not affordable.  I've given up on FP-friendly printer paper in the US.  And I just stick with the usual (expensive) suspects for "friendly" paper.  But if someone can prove me wrong, I'll be happy. :)

HP used to make a fp friendly laser paper but the current product is horrible. Sadly I've not found anything to replace it.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

4 minutes ago, OCArt said:

HP used to make a fp friendly laser paper but the current product is horrible. Sadly I've not found anything to replace it.

Is that the 32 lb paper?

I have the same experience as @OCArt.   Regular buyer of HP "Premium" A4 copier paper 90gsm. .... Until sometime in 2021 when the paper behaviour with FP inks changed.

I have been hunting a replacement since then, seeking exactly this target...

1 hour ago, David0966 said:

FP friendly paper by the ream?

I'm looking for simple unlined paper, although certainly open to all options.

One category of paper that might be suitable is so-called "Bank Paper". That is a generic term for a type of paper, as in other types such as "Cartridge Paper", "Copier Paper", "Glossy Photo Paper" etc.

The description "Bank Paper" seems to mean thin and coated and was (once upon a time) used in layers with carbon-paper in typewriters. Though one source did claim "... suitable for use in banks...." 😂😂😂😂.

Have found only one brand of "bank paper" in the UK, and that one was out of stock. So I have been waiting weeks for it to come back into stock. @David0966 question today prompted me to check again.... YES! IN STOCK!

I have ordered a ream now. Will report results when received and tested.

https://www.paperstone.co.uk/paper/copier-printer-paper/q-connect-a4-white-bank-white-paper-50gsm-ream-500-sheets/p-90726

Wherever you are in the world, finding other local brand(s) of "bank paper" could be possible. For example, according to the podcast "Tokyo Inklings" there is a brand of "bank paper" available in pen shops in Japan that is very FP friendly.

3 hours ago, miwishi63 said:

Is that the 32 lb paper?

They made both the 32lb and a 28lb. Please see this post.  it shows the packaging for the old, good paper (L) and the new bad paper (R.)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

What does "

8 hours ago, dipper said:

I have ordered a ream now. Will report results when received and tested.

Please do!  I've read that Double A at £9 a ream (AMZ) is fp friendly.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I use Double A, but it got hard to buy here and I gave up looking because I had stocked up anyway at the time. Am getting a bit low now though... will begin the hunt again.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

5 hours ago, AmandaW said:

I use Double A, but it got hard to buy here and I gave up looking because I had stocked up anyway at the time. Am getting a bit low now though... will begin the hunt again.

Double A is Thai and ubiquitous here but I haven't yet found a FP friendly paper from them. Which is it, please? 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

Well, I just ordered a box/ream of Southworth 25% cotton (24lb) from Amazon for $26.

We'll see; the Bankers paper was an excellent descriptive term-whoever gave us that.  Thank you!

18 hours ago, OCArt said:

They made both the 32lb and a 28lb. Please see this post.  it shows the packaging for the old, good paper (L) and the new bad paper (R.)

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Double A is Thai and ubiquitous here but I haven't yet found a FP friendly paper from them. Which is it, please? 

The package just says Premium Double A. I only have A3 left, but the A4 was the same pack design. Pictures of front and back of package:

large.double_A_front.jpg.976eb4027a22921627ea9110c2fca535.jpglarge.double_a_back.jpg.094305037a853b44ca2f976f28deea4c.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

1 hour ago, AmandaW said:

The package just says Premium Double A. I only have A3 left, but the A4 was the same pack design. Pictures of front and back of package:

large.double_A_front.jpg.976eb4027a22921627ea9110c2fca535.jpglarge.double_a_back.jpg.094305037a853b44ca2f976f28deea4c.jpg

Thank you. There are many different types of Double A paper here and, although that packaging looks very familiar, I cannot remember if I have tried that one. I will take a look next time I'm at a store that sells their paper. 

My 'go to' cheap loose leaf paper has generally been Muji "planted tree" paper made in Indonesia and punched for notebooks, that I believe is carried in most, if not all, Muji stores worldwide. But I often find Japanese-made Maruman and Kokuyo loose leaf, also punched, in thrift stores here. 

6 hours ago, AmandaW said:

large.double_A_front.jpg.976eb4027a22921627ea9110c2fca535.jpg

That's the one on AMZ UK

Has anyone considered getting paper tagged/specially made for writing?

Laid paper, for example, would not be so expensive, depending on where you are based. Its main drawback for some may be the texture. It is a matter of taste.

Some papers are directly tagged as "for writing": I found this one on Amazon ES: Liderpapel Papel A5 80g/m2. Or in Amazon.fr: Liderpapel 928228 Papier Écriture A5 80g/m2 I haven't tested it yet, but added it to my wish list for next purchase (it's cheaper than Double A). Other alternatives may be to look for paper suitable for drawing from arts stores, or (I saw these on Amazon IT) for 500 pages notebooks which, by definition should be for writing.

Clairefontaine DCP is also a nice paper for fountain pens. The one I've used was 200g (I wanted it to print certificates and fill in/sign them by hand. Again price varies depending on country and most likely will be on the not-so-affordable side.

Added: something was bugging me... now I know: in my searches, DCP 100g (500 sheets A4) seems to be a lot cheaper -almost half- than 80g. Go figure.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 6/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, txomsy said:

Has anyone considered getting paper tagged/specially made for writing?

We accept your kind offer!

On 6/27/2022 at 7:51 AM, AmandaW said:

On 6/27/2022 at 9:01 AM, PithyProlix said:

Thank you. There are many different types of Double A paper here and, although that packaging looks very familiar, I cannot remember if I have tried that one. I will take a look next time I'm at a store that sells their paper. 

So, I have some of this Double A PREMIUM paper in A4, which has almost the exact same packaging as yours, at least the parts that you show. I found it at the bottom of one of my paper drawers and there's a reason it's on the bottom: it has a fairly unpleasant draggy feel when writing, even with my usually light hand, it has a little bit of show-through, and, while no detectible feathering, some inks spread significantly (I don't see a pattern as to which inks will spread on it versus which don't - it just so happens that it wasn't an issue on any of the inks I used in the sample I wrote pictured below). Some of the draggy-ness could be an interaction with the very high, subtropical humidity here but I don't have that issue with most (or any?) of the other papers I use here. While this version of the paper is not terrible, I don't recommend it.

What I think is likely the significant difference, based on what is different from the part of the packing you show, is what I've circled below. That Thai means 'virgin pulp', which means there's no recycled content.

large.IMG_20220628_192627-01_2.jpeg.162e25b17acc71547cfd75575717e3e3.jpeg   large.IMG_20220628_192652-01.jpeg.9b33995baf6fb74e8101cd6f295da965.jpeg

large.2074611960_IMG_20220627_211255-02(3).jpeg.49f40e76b52fc47414a7ed5c18c3e09e.jpeg

@AmandaW FYI: The sample was written with all the 尘彩 ('Dust Color') Morandi inks. I think they are a mixed bag - though they tend towards softness I wouldn't consider all of them Morandi colors and, to me, they don't have the feel of a 'set'. All are dry and have little lubrication - I'm probably much more tolerant of that than most. This paper makes 1-1 more brown that it looks on the other paper I've used it on - it's more orange - a soft terracotta, I guess. 1-2 is (to me) a humdrum grassy green. 1-3 is a wonderfully soft grey-green. 1-4 is a MOR brown but has a bit of softness. 1-5 is unusably pale without flow aid - this is after flow aid. 1-6 is (to me) a humdrum mid-green. 1-7 & 1-8 are a wonderfully soft grey-blue (this one needs a wet pen, though) and grey-violet. For me, 1-1, 1-3, 1-7, & 1-8 are winners and 1-4 might grown on me. Anyhow, mass review of all of them in the works but not a top priority, so I wanted to give you peek sooner than later since I know you are interested. I have five of the Poezie Morandi inks and seven more should arrive in the next couple days - based on the five I have now, I prefer the Poezie look and performance, all-in-all.

By the way, I was curious what is meant by "PAPER FROM KHAN-NA", Googled it, and found this typically-cute-for-Thailand commercial, worth viewing, I think, for entertainment value (though I guess it does have a bit of a sexist undertone, which, sorry to say, also isn't unusual in Thailand ...): 

If you don’t mind a lighter-weight paper (64gsm), I really like Kokuyo Business Paper KB-39N. I find it very useable with all but the very broadest, wettest pens. I’m in the UK but I know it’s widely available elsewhere. Last time I looked, for U.S buyers it’s available via Amazon US and was around $28 for 2 reams (1000s)

Verba volant, scripta manent

1 hour ago, migo984 said:

Kokuyo Business Paper KB-39N.

AMZ UK £17/500 sheets

MaiDo in SF has Apica printer paper by the half ream (Apica "personal" paper). I'm kind of curious how it works with fountain pens, since I love the CD notebooks they make. Has anyone tried it?