Any word of the Nibsmith?

tubular

I wonder whether anyone can tell me what has happened to Dan Smith.  I've been trying for weeks to communicate with him (by email, by phone, by text message) about part of an order he said weeks ago he was about to ship out.  At this point I'd like to cancel the entire order, send back the nibs that had earlier managed to ship to me, and get a refund, but the silence makes me wonder whether there would be any point in returning his nibs.  Anyone know anything?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tubular

• dftr

• Bill P

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

The YouTube poster 'Doodlebud' very recently reviewed a nib he ground, so assuming Doodlebud recently got the pen back.... 

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

It looks from the opening minutes of what you linked that it was the NibGrinder (Mark Bacas), not the Nibsmith, who worked on Doodlebud's nib, @OCArt.  

I received an excellent reground nib from him 2 days ago.  It arrived in the timeframe that the banner on the website said it would take.

I want to start by saying that I have bought several pens from Dan Smith and had a number of nibs custom-ground by him. He does outstanding work.

That said, Dan's slow to absent responses to customer communications has been noted by many. In reaction to the last series of complaints on FPN, his reply was, basically, that he and his wife are the entire staff of his business. If they respond to communications, that is time away from grinding nibs and shipping pens.

You can assess Dan's priorities for yourself, but that's what he has told us.

David

I have experienced that feature with many small/one-man businesses.  On the other hand, at large companies, where I have worked, a very different the range of personalities was acceptable for technical work vs customer service work.  We referred to some of our technical people as “pizza men” meaning you close the door, and slide pizza under, and when they are done, product comes out. 😀

12 hours ago, tubular said:

It looks from the opening minutes of what you linked that it was the NibGrinder (Mark Bacas), not the Nibsmith, who worked on Doodlebud's nib, @OCArt.  

Oops, good catch.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I had not known this, @dms525 and @Strega:  I searched the forums but didn't find any recent reports of problems.  If I had known--and if he hadn't promised in that email to send my pen that very afternoon--I wouldn't have taken alarm.

He is taking a lot longer than that to respond to me.  I eventually sent back the part of my order (useless without the rest) that I received from him.  I see from the tracking number that he received it a couple of days ago.  Still not a word and no sign of a refund.

• 8 months later...

I also had to use PayPal to get my refund within the last week.

He had fulfilled one order, but the second one remained unfilled for months & he ghosted me after I attempted to communicate with him about it.

I am forced to conclude he is unreliable and he has lost my business for good.

A very reluctant conclusion.

I got a pen/grind from him about a month ago, and there were no issues.  I am saddened to hear that others have had problems with him, as it gives me pause to reorder. 

So many hobbies, so little time....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I haven’t purchased a pen from him recently but noticed his website isn’t updated very often anymore. He’s had a couple coming soon pens that never showed up in stock even after multiple months. 

I got my pen a lamy dialogue nearly 3 months after ordering. It was worth the wait. But at this point, Ive ordered several pens and have trust. The first order was a few years back and the wait time for nib customization was like 2 weeks. He’s gotten busier and now it lists 6 to 8 weeks!  

I like to support small businesses… it is tough because he seems to do everything from orders to emails. 

• 6 months later...

Has anyone had ANY experience with Daniel Smith aka Nibsmith.com lately??

I have done transactions previously (over 1 year ago) and they were positive experiences....

BUT in the last 2 weeks not so good....Poor to late to NO communication (contact thru the website, tel call - went to voice mail-no return call, text, and direct email to Daniel.....NO REPLYS - all about an order I wanted to place and an order I did place....Virtually NO communication and NO shipment.

Anyone else chime in with their recent experiences?  or is there something going on with Daniel?

Thanks,

Bill

poor guy.  he had a friday the 13th special and it seemed to crash his website!  fortunately or unfortunately, it came back online in time for me to make a purchase.  I'll let you know in a week or so if there are any issues.  

As it turns out, just as I was planning to cancel my order on Mon...Daniel emailed me on the Friday before (13th)...and the order was shipped on Fri (13th)...websitre says USPS PRIOIRTY for shipment, but mine was sent UPS Ground...?

Per the website order should have shipped with 1-3 days (NO nib adjustment)...but it shipped on the 12th day...???  None of it would have been a big deal, BUT combined with the poor communication...what is going on?

Also the website when I placed the order on 10/2 was weird...I couldn't sign into my account....had to do a password reset...but even after that it was not easy to sign in.

Don't know what is going on with nibsmith.com BUT I hope all is well..