Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Sailor Cross Point, Cross Concord, Cross Music… Differences.

PotbellyPig

Curious about the practical differences between these.  I know the Cross Concord writes very fine in standard writing position while the Cross Point you have to turn upside down.  They are meant to write bold nicely in one position.  Otherwise please correct me if I am wrong but otherwise they are very similar.  Also does the Cross Music differ from these two greatly?  I know that the horizontal stroke is thicker than the vertical stroke like the Naginata Togi. But othwise is it also similar to the other two Cross variations?  Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotbellyPig

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, I found this video a while back and near the end the presenter compares a Cross Point and Cross Music directly.  I don’t really see the differences in the writing but the presenter is discussing it in I think Cantonese.  I am unable to get a good translation of it.

1 hour ago, PotbellyPig said:

I don’t really see the differences in the writing but the presenter is discussing it in I think Cantonese.  I am unable to get a good translation of it.

He said it's easy and ‘natural’ to produce thick horizontal strokes but thin vertical strokes with a Cross Music nib, whereas trying to achieve that kind of line width ratio with a Cross Point nib takes a lot of effort.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

He said it's easy and ‘natural’ to produce thick horizontal strokes but thin vertical strokes with a Cross Music nib, whereas trying to achieve that kind of line width ratio with a Cross Point nib takes a lot of effort.

Thank you so much!  I knew that about the Cross Music from reading some descriptions but I didn’t know that was what they were discussing. I am going to see if I can try out a Cross Concord.        The resulting handwriting probably looks about the same.  I don’t think I really need the thicker horizontal line aspect of it.  But it can be probably useful in some cases. The biggest one is the slender vertical stroke of a music symbol.  That’s probably why they refer to it as a Music nib.   Though companies make their music nibs differently.