Sailor Cross Point, Cross Concord, Cross Music… Differences.

PotbellyPig

Curious about the practical differences between these.  I know the Cross Concord writes very fine in standard writing position while the Cross Point you have to turn upside down.  They are meant to write bold nicely in one position.  Otherwise please correct me if I am wrong but otherwise they are very similar.  Also does the Cross Music differ from these two greatly?  I know that the horizontal stroke is thicker than the vertical stroke like the Naginata Togi. But othwise is it also similar to the other two Cross variations?  Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotbellyPig

• rhk

• A Smug Dill

• BaaadSheepie

By the way, I found this video a while back and near the end the presenter compares a Cross Point and Cross Music directly.  I don’t really see the differences in the writing but the presenter is discussing it in I think Cantonese.  I am unable to get a good translation of it.

1 hour ago, PotbellyPig said:

I don’t really see the differences in the writing but the presenter is discussing it in I think Cantonese.  I am unable to get a good translation of it.

He said it's easy and ‘natural’ to produce thick horizontal strokes but thin vertical strokes with a Cross Music nib, whereas trying to achieve that kind of line width ratio with a Cross Point nib takes a lot of effort.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

He said it's easy and ‘natural’ to produce thick horizontal strokes but thin vertical strokes with a Cross Music nib, whereas trying to achieve that kind of line width ratio with a Cross Point nib takes a lot of effort.

Thank you so much!  I knew that about the Cross Music from reading some descriptions but I didn’t know that was what they were discussing. I am going to see if I can try out a Cross Concord.        The resulting handwriting probably looks about the same.  I don’t think I really need the thicker horizontal line aspect of it.  But it can be probably useful in some cases. The biggest one is the slender vertical stroke of a music symbol.  That’s probably why they refer to it as a Music nib.   Though companies make their music nibs differently.

• 4 weeks later...

Ummm... so using a music nib (Sailor, Pilot or Platinum) is going to result in thin horizontal strokes and wide vertical strokes.  They've close to stub nib like a Jowo 1.1

A cross music nib will result in very thin vertical strokes and wide horizontal strokes.

A Naginata concord or cross concord will result in a fine to medium fine (japanese) line written with the nib the right way up... and a broad stroke with the nib flipped.  It's basically a fude nib, except flipped.

The concord nibs are flexible to use, but you specifically have to flip the pen in order to have much line variation... otherwise it will write as essentially a completely normal pen.

The cross music produces the most dramatic line variation in normal use.

All of these nibs have 'new' versions currently being produced by Sailor in the 'special nib' pen body, which are not interchangable with other Sailor pens.  Older nibs in these styles are interchangable with other full size (ie 21K) Sailor nibs and sections.  Older cross nibs tend to have a smoother writing profile that will result in less variation between line widths for horizontal and vertical strokes.

At least this has been my experience, testing out various pens when I've had access to them.  YMMV! 😄