What's going on with Conid ?

fountainbel

Dear Conid fans
Let me give you some more Insight on what is going on at Conid.
Conid was a small spin-off of Komec,  a machine design and building company for the pharmaceutical industry.
Lonza - a Swiss multinational- acquired Capsugel, the world leader in medical capsule manufacturing two years ago 
Komec being the main supplier mechanical parts and machines of Capsugel , Lonza eagerly wanted also to buy Komec…. 
And since 18 months Komec has effectively been sold to Lonza..
Werner Helsen  - the previous owner of Komec and still the director  -obtained however  the rights to continue making Conid pens in the Komec workshop.
However with one limitation : Conid parts should only be made when the production for Lonza allows it, so in time slots when the machines are available.
Given the hectic transition period, coupled to the Corona  pandemic and the overwhelming requests for pharmaceutical machinery, the Komec workload has been enormous.
This is the main reason why the re-start of Conid was delayed several times….
Note however Conid already made a large stock of the the main parts in the mean time , so once they restart delivery will occur within reasonable time.
Only the standard Bulkfillers - regular Flat top , Minimalistica and Kingsize pens will become available in small series, no custom features will be offered (except for nib grinding) 
Werner worked hard towards the Conid re-start and has nearly finished to re-struct the Conid manufacturing and assembly process as well as creating a proper customer service.
Within a few months Conid will send out a news letter with all further details.
So please stay tuned,
Best regards,
Francis

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• es9

• Karmachanic

• fountainbel

• hairlame

Thank you so much Francis for the full story.

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks so much for the update! 

One question about this: 

4 hours ago, fountainbel said:

Only the standard Bulkfillers - regular Flat top , Minimalistica and Kingsize pens will become available in small series, no custom features will be offered (except for nib grinding) 

Does that mean Conid will not be able to mix and match standard parts? For example, will they be able to do a half demonstrator with titanium finials and filler knobs? 

I've heard that Lonza very much maximizes their production output. Is it likely that there will be spare machine time for parts to be made? Will that remain the case, and will Conid still be sustainable one or two years from now?

Surely this has always been the case to some degree, right? I had assumed that the Conid project was used to ensure that Komec's eye-wateringly expensive machinery was never sitting idle and effectively wasting money. In any machine shop, no matter the sophistication, it's always a very high priority to keep the machines fed with work at all times.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, Harold said:

Surely this has always been the case to some degree, right? I had assumed that the Conid project was used to ensure that Komec's eye-wateringly expensive machinery was never sitting idle and effectively wasting money. In any machine shop, no matter the sophistication, it's always a very high priority to keep the machines fed with work at all times.

Thanks for your "to the point" reaction Harold , this is effectively the fact!

Francis

• 1 month later...

Great to anticipate Conid back selling again fountainbel !

I decided I wanted to buy a Kingsize just before you went out of production :(

I assume your regular newsletter will start up again to let us know.

18 minutes ago, es9 said:

Are the black delrin pens substantially more durable/less prone to cracking than the acrylic demonstrators? 

What evidence have you of cracking Conid demonstrators?

None whatsoever. That’s why I’m asking! In my limited experience turning acrylic, however, it can be pretty brittle. 

For what it's worth, My Conids are still going strong. They are very nice pens. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

1 hour ago, es9 said:

None whatsoever. That’s why I’m asking! In my limited experience turning acrylic, however, it can be pretty brittle. 

Neither my PMMA Parker 51, nor my Sailors, or any my MB Meistestück's have ever cracked, but I treat them gently. :)

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

Neither my PMMA Parker 51, nor my Sailors, or any my MB Meistestück's have ever cracked, but I treat them gently. :)

Have you ever looked very carefully at well-used P51 hoods, including with illumination from within? Or have you ever looked carefully at the lucite collectors? Or have you ever had TWSBI threads crack? Acrylic is rigid, and stress cracks can form even without mistreatment. I treat my pens gently, too. I assume CONID uses very good acrylic, but I’m just trying to gather possible data to inform which version of pens I will purchase from them.

Hi all,

Allow me to go in somewhat deeper on invisible aspects of acrylic 

Acrylic bar stock is produced using two different processes 

1- Direct extrusion in round bars or tubes

Advantage : relatively cheap production process

Inherent drawback: the process creates internal and external material tensions which make the material  brittle and prone for  cracking / breakage at diameter transitions after machining.

Note  injection moulded  pens equally suffer from enclosed internal material tension which make them prone for cracking at diameter transitions 

2 -Casting in sheets

Advantage: no enclosed material tensions 

Inherent drawback : Expensive production process : casting in sheets , cutting in strips & turning round.

Hope the clarifies the differences!

Best regards,

Francis

OHH, I almost forgot to mention:

Conid only uses CAST acrylic barstock

33 minutes ago, fountainbel said:

Expensive production proces

Precious!!  :D