EFNIR: Monteverde Garnet

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Monteverde Garnet

This is review #189 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was easy with plain water, but did take an extra flush or two, due to the ink being saturated. The cameras liked the color fairly well, but may have rendered it slightly too pink in places. The scan is a little too neon-y. The zoom is a little too pink and shows shading too easily - your eyes will only see shading from a dry nib, and then not easily.

The line width measurement is one of the lines used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 315µm. (For the curious, with 189 inks measured, the average line width is 291µm.)

The microscope slide was pretty cool with the ink looking like aquarium plants, but the camera didn't want to pick up the red at all, and though I could color correct (it's somewhat close), it still wouldn't pick up details - nor would my cell phone through the eyepiece.  Maybe I should start a Patreon account or something to get the money to upgrade the software and buy a new microscope camera (though I'm not sure if it would work or not - must do research).

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.MonteverdeGarnet.jpg.5bd4837afb3e1181623c7d2baeb32b71.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.MonteverdeGarnetS.jpg.5fdcaae01f7fc32c5f9cd1d9b48e3a34.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.MonteverdeGarnetZ.jpg.7b528f04bef1d54bea8f8a23d84a1c43.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.MonteverdeGarnetAP.jpg.78f30e8feb4620a8104eafd0169613e3.jpg

Line width measured via microscope at 100x:
large.MonteverdeGarnetLW.jpg.c2091ad408b18f45f5b19ab7fbb28c7d.jpg

Microscope slide at 100x:
large.MonteverdeGarnetSmear.jpg.a63de463003cc469b11fecc5525d3a1a.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Previous Review: Kaweco Royal Blue.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Misfit

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

Thanks for the review!  I had a sample vial of this ink, but it ended up in my Sorta Burgundy-ish InkDump, due to being just too pinky and unlubricated.

And double thanks for the Snek Serial.  😎

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

2 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks for the review!

:) You're very welcome.

2 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

I had a sample vial of this ink, but it ended up in my Sorta Burgundy-ish InkDump, due to being just too pinky and unlubricated.

:) We all have to live somewhere!

3 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

And double thanks for the Snek Serial.  😎

:D Gladly!

Great job Liz :thumbup: for a colour, which to paraphrase  Lord Byron, I would need to go for a walk to regain my appetite (unless I'm on a diet ;))

Though the aquatic meta-plants are quite striking.... 

I was having visions of Snek, curling around Makhabesh's paws and going on a bro-mance journey in quest of silk worms.  :D

11 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Great job Liz :thumbup:

:) Thanks!

for a colour, which to paraphrase  Lord Byron, I would need to go for a walk to regain my appetite (unless I'm on a diet ;))

:lol:

Though the aquatic meta-plants are quite striking.... 

Wish I could have captured the level of detail my eyes saw - it was even better. :unsure:

12 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I was having visions of Snek, curling around Makhabesh's paws and going on a bro-mance journey in quest of silk worms.  :D

:lol: You'll just have to keep reading... :D

Thank you Liz - as always - for a review that confirmed to me that this is not an ink I will ever need. Which is good, as there are so many that I do.

I've just ordered pizza if the disgruntled little flyer wants some...

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you Liz

:) You're welcome!

for a review that confirmed to me that this is not an ink I will ever need. Which is good, as there are so many that I do.

Saving wallets, one ink at a time! 🦸‍♀️

I've just ordered pizza if the disgruntled little flyer wants some...

:D Listen for the sound of scratching at your door!

How much shading does this ink have?  At first I thought none, then I saw some when I zoomed in on the image. 

I have a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Garnet.  Garnet was my Dad’s birthstone. I suspect he would have liked the more red (maybe with some orange)  Edelstein to the Monteverde version. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

How much shading does this ink have?  At first I thought none, then I saw some when I zoomed in on the image. 

In the post-review comments, I mention that the zoom shows too much shading.  Your eyes aren't likely to see that - at least, mine didn't.

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I have a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Garnet.  Garnet was my Dad’s birthstone. I suspect he would have liked the more red (maybe with some orange)  Edelstein to the Monteverde version. 

Yeah, the Monteverde version is definitely magenta or fuchsia, not red.

Thank you for the review. I think I’ll stick with the Pelikan Edelstein Garnet version.  I like shading, plus the color of their Garnet better. 

Posted Image

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

Thank you for the review. I think I’ll stick with the Pelikan Edelstein Garnet version.  I like shading, plus the color of their Garnet better. 

:) You're very welcome.  Happy to keep you happy with the ink you already have! ;)

Cloudy with a good chance for some pink lightning. :D

Thank you, @LizEF, for the ink review and for the story part - always a pleasure to read!

This ink looks more like a pink magenta with some behaviour problems on low quality paper.

Always good to know: the buy list will not grow ... 🙂

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Cloudy with a good chance for some pink lightning. :D

Thank you, @LizEF, for the ink review and for the story part - always a pleasure to read!

:)  You're very welcome!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

This ink looks more like a pink magenta with some behaviour problems on low quality paper.

Always good to know: the buy list will not grow ... 🙂

Well, it's not like there's a shortage in this color range.  I gave up on low quality paper a long time ago (though I have less than a ream of good printer paper left and can't find a replacement, so that will become my one exception before long. :( )

Nice review! And always good to see an ink reviewed that I can now safely ignore. Burgundy-type inks are not among my favourites in the purple spectrum, so I’ll stick with the ones I already have (which will probably last me a lifetime 😉)

24 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Nice review!

:) Thanks!

24 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

And always good to see an ink reviewed that I can now safely ignore.

:lol:  (I'm starting to feel sorry for this poor, unloved ink!)

I only rejected this unloved ink as a need to buy another garnet ink to get in honor of my Dad. Now I’m sad for it. Still not buying a bottle. I buy other Monteverde inks, but more often their pens. 

Posted Image

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I only rejected this unloved ink as a need to buy another garnet ink to get in honor of my Dad. Now I’m sad for it.

:D I'm sure it understands - Dads first! ;)

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Still not buying a bottle.

:lol: