Trying to decide if I should change out this nib...

essayfaire

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• ruby.monkey

• amberleadavis

• FarmBoy

Looks like an oblique nib. Definitely would require a different angle to write with. What is the number of it?

16 hours ago, CoCoPenny said:

Looks like an oblique nib. Definitely would require a different angle to write with. What is the number of it?

2314B, which would indicate a broad stub, but it certainly looks oblique to me.  When I look at the Estie chart no obliques are listed, though on a different advertisement 2314 without the B is listed as a "Relief".

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

If you don't like it, replace it.

Don't fight it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

On 6/23/2022 at 7:26 PM, ac12 said:

If you don't like it, replace it.

Don't fight it.

I just got another Estie back from the nibmeister- he said it looked as if someone had tried to customize it before.  I had it tuned and smoothed, but I don't think I'll grab it, which means I should replace it.

I really like the pen's pattern, so I don't want to sell it, but I'm trying to decide what nib to replace it with.  The vintage chart has a nib called "shaded writing"- it's #9778.  Does anyone know what that means?

I don't flex, but I do bounce.  Here's a sample of the returned pen: large.IMG_1703.JPG.9f70575d6038b0d6e949c952bdcd4187.JPG

I'm trying to decide what replacement nib would suit my cursive/print hybrid best, and be reassured that I changing the nib on this pen is easy.  I have read conflicting things about whether the Duraflex nibs are for the vintage or modern pens.

Festina lente

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 6:49 PM, essayfaire said:

2314B, which would indicate a broad stub, but it certainly looks oblique to me.  When I look at the Estie chart no obliques are listed, though on a different advertisement 2314 without the B is listed as a "Relief".

The 2314 nibs are relief (left-foot oblique) nibs, the letter suffix being the nib width. I have a 2314-B (also marked 'RELIEF BROAD') on an Esterbrook J, and it's rapidly becoming my favourite nib.

The 9778 is a flexible nib, meant to give some line variation. Never tried one myself but I have its finer sibling, the 9048, and it's surprisingly soft for a steel nib and a smooth wet writer.

I have a 9778 nib, and like the 2314-M nib better. I don’t have any in the 9314 range. I thought the 9778 would be super cool, but to me it does not give as much line variation, which is what I love most in nibs. 

Posted Image

You might like a 2048 or 9048, then. There's noticeable variation available without having to press too hard.

I always say that Esterbrook flex nibs really don't.  At best they are a moderate flex.  If you find some of the older nibs, with the teardrop breather hole, they have a longer profile, and even nibs like the 9668 demonstrate a little wiggle to them.  The 2048 and 9048 are two very different nibs....oddly enough, I have a rare gold-plated 9048 that is a true flex nib.  I think it was a prototype, so I never use it.  Truthfully, if you're fond of really flex nibs, Esterbrook isn't the pen to use.

I happen to like this nib, but if it is a pain for you to use, then switch it out. The ease of nib replacement is the joy of Esterbrooks..

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

22 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I happen to like this nib, but if it is a pain for you to use, then switch it out. The ease of nib replacement is the joy of Esterbrooks..

That's what I thought, but was looking for confirmation.  Thanks!

@gweimer1I was lucky enough to get this pen but didn't choose it;  I actually don't have any flex nibs! One Conway Stewart with slight flex is as close as I've come.  Now I need to decide what to replace this with.

Festina lente

Don't forget that you can also use Osmiroid screw-in nibs (for the 65 and 75, not the later easy-change units) which should expand your available options greatly.

17 hours ago, ruby.monkey said:

Don't forget that you can also use Osmiroid screw-in nibs (for the 65 and 75, not the later easy-change units) which should expand your available options greatly.

I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks!

Festina lente

1 hour ago, essayfaire said:

I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks!

I found sets with 6 nibs to cost less than 2 nibs individually.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I asked the magic Esterbrook 8-ball on my desk. 

it said to ask again later. 

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:18 PM, amberleadavis said:

I found sets with 6 nibs to cost less than 2 nibs individually.

Huh.  Didn't think there were economies of scale in nib packaging, but perhaps the six-nib sets were more prevalent.

On 7/29/2022 at 11:31 PM, FarmBoy said:

it said to ask again later. 

Is it later yet? 

Festina lente