Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

EFNIR: Kaweco Royal Blue

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Kaweco Royal Blue

This is review #188 in my series.  Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was quick and easy. This is *that* shade of blue. (When I hear reports of school kids being traumatized by red ink, I wonder why it's not *this* color they find traumatizing...)  The color is a little darker than the scan, a little more purple than the screenshot. The zoom is too light, too blue, and shows far too much shading. The absorbent paper is way too bright, but the copy paper isn't too far off...  Just think "blue-blurple" and you'll have the right color.

The line width measurement is one of the lines used for dry time.  Magnification is 100x.  The grid is 100x100µm.  The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each.  The line width for this ink is roughly 310µm. (For the curious, with 188 inks measured, the average line width is 292µm.)

The microscope slide has a lot going on with jagged streaks and rare pink spots. I decided to combine a couple images to show all the "features". :)

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.KawecoRoyalBlue.jpg.9d4dd7e58c52ce13cf29140f642d9d0d.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.KawecoRoyalBlueS.jpg.88d828809d32628b55a1ccd4b93f73a5.jpg

Zoomed in photo:
large.KawecoRoyalBlueZ.jpg.65ad5b3418abfda2ed52e144ddb14591.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper):
large.KawecoRoyalBlueAP.jpg.d2e6da948ab0daf8b30f06e5ded58cfc.jpg

Line width measured via microscope at 100x:
large.KawecoRoyalBlueLW.jpg.62da765c490ee08418a973cb01de5c50.jpg

Microscope slide at 100x:
large.KawecoRoyalBlueSmear.jpg.3647797b7f8ce667fca4430a9b0279e8.jpg

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Previous Review: Sailor Kujukuri Coast Hamachidori.

Want to influence the inky sequence?  Take the "next ink" poll.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh?  Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy.  Comments appreciated!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• LizEF

• Just J

• InesF

Happy silk worms, now that's a great review :thumbup: 

I used a similar colour like this during my students years. Probably it was Pelikan Royal blue, cartridges. 

I remember being traumtized by red inks, when my elementary school teacher proclaimed that red ink, ins dangerous for the eyes 👀 I rarely if ever used that colour)

31 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Happy silk worms, now that's a great review :thumbup: 

:D Thanks!  (They're @Tas-inspired.)

32 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I used a similar colour like this during my students years. Probably it was Pelikan Royal blue, cartridges. 

I would say if you're going to use royal blue, this is a good one - not as pale / washed out as some I've seen.

32 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I remember being traumtized by red inks, when my elementary school teacher proclaimed that red ink, ins dangerous for the eyes 👀 I rarely if ever used that colour

:rolleyes:

I rarely if ever use red ink at all. Yet i have somehow managed* to acquire 4 or 5 bottles of the stuff. 

*[Might not be the best of terms to use for that particular assessment.] 

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

Thank you @LizEF - always a treat! 

I love 'school' blues. The more washed out the better, so this one's actually a bit saturated for me, though I do have a bottle knocking around somewhere because I remember someone in the house saying they liked it. 

Do happy silkworms make happier silk I wonder? 

2 hours ago, Just J said:

I rarely if ever use red ink at all. Yet i have somehow managed* to acquire 4 or 5 bottles of the stuff. 

*[Might not be the best of terms to use for that particular assessment.]

:lol:

I never, ever use black ink (except to review it and in my hunt for the perfect black ink for my aunt), and yet I have a TON of them (in sample form, thankfully)!  Life is funny. :D

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Thank you @LizEF

You're very welcome!

always a treat! 

:D

I love 'school' blues. The more washed out the better, so this one's actually a bit saturated for me, though I do have a bottle knocking around somewhere because I remember someone in the house saying they liked it. 

Robert Oster School Blue (which is different from the "royal blue" school blues) is the only one I like.  Fortunately, I only had the one cartridge (came with my Kaweco Sport), so I don't have to feel bad about it languishing. :)

Do happy silkworms make happier silk I wonder? 

:lol: Probably so.  The inspiration for the next phase of our story is this post.  The review I'll post this coming Friday will mark the end of "Part 3: The Old Goat Adventure", and next Tuesday's will mark the beginning of "Part 4: The Quest to Find Happy Silkworms" (though you could say this is the beginning of that - they overlap by a couple of reviews). :D

Well, er, ah...

Like the story MUCH better than the ink.  Though in one scan it reminds me of Bay State Blue!  😱

Not that I hate School Blue Inks; love those Lamy cartridges.  It's the non-lubrication factor.  And I already have blue ink coming out of my ears.  (Not literally of course.)

Love Essri.  Thanks for the review and the Tuesday Serial!

My other pen is a Montblanc and...

My other blog is a tumblr.

1 hour ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Well, er, ah...

Like the story MUCH better than the ink.

:D

Though in one scan it reminds me of Bay State Blue!  😱

:lol: Sometimes the camera or scanner just ignores reality and creates neon - no idea why.

And I already have blue ink coming out of my ears.

:yikes:

(Not literally of course.)

Drat! I was hoping for a video... ;)

Love Essri.

:)🐍

Thanks for the review and the Tuesday Serial!

:) You're very welcome!

Thank you @LizEF for story and review!

I like R&K Royal Blue and the more I know about it, the more easy I can find it! That's why it is in the June Quartett. ;) 

It is like with silk worms, which are there on the glass slide ... so easy to see in the microscope! :lol:

One life!

8 hours ago, LizEF said:

Sometimes the camera or scanner just ignores reality and creates neon - no idea why.

That's alright....I recently got a bottle that proCLAIMED to be a Neon, and it was in reality anything but. It was acfually more of a futz. No idea where that word came from, but that was my distinct impression when the first sampling was dry.. So there, our universe is all even-keeled & steady as she goes, ma'am. And it was a Blue, as it were. 

8 hours ago, LizEF said:

And I already have blue ink coming out of my ears.

Me too!  'Cept in my case, Blues are my favorites so..... 

[More of that 'eveness...' thing.] 

3 hours ago, InesF said:

like with silk worms, which are there on the glass slide ... so easy to see

Yes, but are they smiling? Running around, skipping rope & playing joyfully all sunshine & rainbows??  Are they Happy Wormy Family???  [Oops....we might've breached some universe's menu there! I'm bailing!]  

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

10 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @LizEF for story and review!

:) You're most welcome!

I like R&K Royal Blue and the more I know about it, the more easy I can find it! That's why it is in the June Quartett. ;) 

I'll have to take another look - of course, when you combine colors that go together well, and present them in a beautiful arrangement, even colors you don't otherwise like look beautiful. ;)

It is like with silk worms, which are there on the glass slide ... so easy to see in the microscope! :lol:

:lol: Now that you mention it...

7 hours ago, Just J said:

So there, our universe is all even-keeled & steady as she goes, ma'am.

:lol:  The balance must be maintained!

7 hours ago, Just J said:

Yes, but are they smiling? Running around, skipping rope & playing joyfully all sunshine & rainbows??  Are they Happy Wormy Family???  [Oops....we might've breached some universe's menu there! I'm bailing!]  

:D  (Stay tuned!  Though it'll be quite some time before we meet our silkworm colony.)

21 hours ago, Just J said:
On 6/15/2022 at 10:12 AM, InesF said:

like with silk worms, which are there on the glass slide ... so easy to see

@LizEF, may I ask you to buy an electron microscope? Now I would really love to see if those worms are smiling ... 😎

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

@LizEF, may I ask you to buy an electron microscope?

For the price, it'd be cheaper to have smiles tattooed on them!  

[Plus, then you would know.)  ~; } 

@LizEF, may I ask you to buy an electron microscope? Now I would really love to see if those worms are smiling ... 😎

:lol:  Sure, you can ask...  But I think we might feel better if we keep using our imaginations (the actual critter looks sort of, um, unappealing close up; though as a moth, it looks rather content, if not happy). Meanwhile, the magical critters in my imagination look more like this, and speak with very high-pitched voices.  It's possible only Essri can hear them (note to self: research snake hearing, then mostly ignore the truth in favor of fantasy :P ).  Perhaps the High Wizard will have amplifying magic. :D  Not sure - haven't gotten there yet.

On a sort-of-related note, I am trying to figure out if my microscope needs a better camera, better light, better software, or a better operator. :D I'd like to be able to capture images that show more accurately what my eyes see through the eyepiece.

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

It's possible only Essri can hear them (note to self: research snake hearing, then mostly ignore the truth in favor of fantasy :P ).

Well, that didn't take long.  Apparently snakes hear lower sounds better.  Cats, however, hear higher frequencies quite well, so perhaps it's Makhabesh who will do the talking... :D

56 minutes ago, LizEF said:

:lol:  Sure, you can ask...  But I think we might feel better if we keep using our imaginations (the actual critter looks sort of, um, unappealing close up; though as a moth, it looks rather content, if not happy). Meanwhile, the magical critters in my imagination look more like this, and speak with very high-pitched voices.  It's possible only Essri can hear them (note to self: research snake hearing, then mostly ignore the truth in favor of fantasy :P ).  Perhaps the High Wizard will have amplifying magic. :D  Not sure - haven't gotten there yet.

On a sort-of-related note, I am trying to figure out if my microscope needs a better camera, better light, better software, or a better operator. :D I'd like to be able to capture images that show more accurately what my eyes see through the eyepiece.

Snakes can't hear.  Go with fantasy.

My other pen is a Montblanc and...

My other blog is a tumblr.

43 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Snakes can't hear.  Go with fantasy.

My research suggests they can - just not via eardrums. :)

Snakes?

Don't care!

Sneks can do everything better!😆

One life!