Peridot Ink

frolic838

Hey Hive mind!  I'm looking for an ink that matches my birthstone.  It isn't a colour that I can wear well, but I'm thinking I can write with it!  I know LAMY did a "Peridot" ink, but I think they crossed minerals somewhere because it's more emerald than anything.  Suggestions?  I'd really like a shading ink which would bring out both the highlights and lowlights of the gem's colour.  Thanks y'all!

peridot-meaning.jpg

I am different.  Let this not alarm you.  ~ Paracelsus

If you're interested in corresponding, let me know!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• frolic838

• amberleadavis

• Paul-in-SF

• Runnin_Ute

So, there are 84,626 colors in that image. :D  I picked one of them: #63840F and put it in InkSwatch.com's tool and the result is here.  You can do the same if you know how to use a graphics program to pick up colors from an image.  Then you can peruse the InkSwatch.com results.  Certainly, they don't have all the inks in the world, but it's a good start. :)

ETA: For another color (6A9215), Diamine Jade Green looks like a great match.

19 minutes ago, LizEF said:

So, there are 84,626 colors in that image. :D  I picked one of them: #63840F and put it in InkSwatch.com's tool and the result is here.  You can do the same if you know how to use a graphics program to pick up colors from an image.  Then you can peruse the InkSwatch.com results.  Certainly, they don't have all the inks in the world, but it's a good start. :)

ETA: For another color (6A9215), Diamine Jade Green looks like a great match.

I did run a few of the colours through InkSwatch and got some ideas, but was hoping the community's human eyes would be better at coming up with a color that captures the essence of the gemstone.

4 minutes ago, frolic838 said:

I did run a few of the colours through InkSwatch and got some ideas, but was hoping the community's human eyes would be better at coming up with a color that captures the essence of the gemstone.

:thumbup:

I think the biggest problem with matching a gemstone is that you are trying to capture what is essentially refraction of light in a completely different medium; so although "accurate" to some of the colors in the photo, what you end up with are a lot of murky light greens (in my opinion). Maybe something with shimmer in it would come closer. 

Peridot is also my birthstone, and I've never liked it. Someone gave me a fairly sizeable Peridot, unmounted, for my birthday, and I've never done anything with it. 

5 minutes ago, bunnspecial said:

Montblanc Defoe

Gah!  This is lovely, but the LE makes it hard to find.

1 minute ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I think the biggest problem with matching a gemstone is that you are trying to capture what is essentially refraction of light in a completely different medium; so although "accurate" to some of the colors in the photo, what you end up with are a lot of murky light greens (in my opinion). Maybe something with shimmer in it would come closer. 

Peridot is also my birthstone, and I've never liked it. Someone gave me a fairly sizeable Peridot, unmounted, for my birthday, and I've never done anything with it. 

Too true! I have a few peridots that I don't wear.  I know you cannot catch the light, but looking for a shading ink that may capture at least some of those both deep and vibrant yellow-greens.

I use greens in this part of the spectrum a lot. Some favourites include:

Robert Oster Australis Tea

Sailor Shikiori Waka-Uguisu

Troublemaker Hanging Rice (nice dark peridot)

Colorverse Walk the Dog

Diamine Jade's OK, but Calligraphy Passion or even Neon Lime (with shimmer) are fab

Herbin Vert Olive for a yellowish version

Krishna Ghat Green

MB Defoe is too murky to be peridot for me, but Vetiver definitely fits in at the yellow end

Pennonia Zoldike (which is gorgeous)

Iroshizuku Chiku Rin

R&K Alt Goldgrun

I'm sure I've left some out, but those were the ones that immediately came to mind! 

I'd much rather have peridot as my birthstone than Emerald, which is one of the few shades of green I'm really not that keen on.

Monteverde Olivine perhaps?

5 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

I'd much rather have peridot as my birthstone than Emerald, which is one of the few shades of green I'm really not that keen on.

Well, there seem to be various "systems" for birthstones 😉 maybe you can find one you like better.

As far as Peridot-colored inks go, I'd suggest to add Lamy Charged Green to the list.

(Although it might not be a very useful addition...: It's a rather hard to read ink, and also might be somewhat difficult to find nowadays (LE from 2016).)

I thought of Rohrer and Klingner Alt Goldgrün too. That or Diamine music series Richard Wagner, or Diamine Anniversary series Safari. 

Posted Image

I'd say Herbin Vert Pre.  Really there's a lot of greens in there anyhow, but Vert Pre shades. :-)

It's also widely available and will not bust anyone's budget to try a 10mL bottle!

Color range demonstrated well here:
https://penpaperpencil.net/j-herbin-vert-pre-ink-review/

... other good choices:  Diamine Spring Green, Jade Green are also in this color range.  Spring green a little greener and murkier than the yellower jade green :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

18 hours ago, Licue said:

Well, there seem to be various "systems" for birthstones 😉 maybe you can find one you like better.

As far as Peridot-colored inks go, I'd suggest to add Lamy Charged Green to the list.

(Although it might not be a very useful addition...: It's a rather hard to read ink, and also might be somewhat difficult to find nowadays (LE from 2016).)

Unfortunately under nearly every system I have seen through the years, August remains steadfastly Peridot.

12 hours ago, Enkida said:

I'd say Herbin Vert Pre.  Really there's a lot of greens in there anyhow, but Vert Pre shades. 🙂

It's also widely available and will not bust anyone's budget to try a 10mL bottle!

Color range demonstrated well here:
https://penpaperpencil.net/j-herbin-vert-pre-ink-review/

... other good choices:  Diamine Spring Green, Jade Green are also in this color range.  Spring green a little greener and murkier than the yellower jade green :)

Ohhh ... there are nice, clear colours which is nice.  So many of these are murky (which I don't mind either)!  Thanks.

18 hours ago, Licue said:

Lamy Charged Green

That is brilliant.  Zoinks.

5 hours ago, frolic838 said:

Unfortunately under nearly every system I have seen through the years, August remains steadfastly Peridot.

The online Encyclopedica Britannica has Sardonyx as the traditional birthstone for August ( https://www.britannica.com/topic/birthstone-gemstone ).

The lists on Wikipedia also show Carnelian, Moonstone, Topaz, Spinel as additional alternatives.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthstone )

Or instead of birthmonth, you could go by birthday (= which day of the week you were born).

Or by your zodiac sign.

Or by your Chinese zodiac sign.

😉

(Tho I tend to agree with Mizgeorge: Peridot is actually quite a nice gemstone to have as birthstone 🙂)

Check out the tsavorite garnet as an alternate stone.

Wow vert pre looks like a good choice.

Maybe consider kyo-no-oto moegi-iro