Budget 2000. The Jinhao 80 Lamy 2000 Clone

13 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Huh?

My black Jinhao 80 pens (with clips in either black or silver) have plastic gripping sections over threaded metal connectors to join them to the pen barrels, as far as I can tell. Looking at the product photos, I don't think any of the more colourful recent variants have “metal sections” (i.e. where the user would grip the pen when writing).

The metal in the updated Jinhao 80s will prevent it from being used as an eyedropper because

of the metal connector.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• J120

• Sailor Kenshin

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Helen350 said:

The metal in the updated Jinhao 80s will prevent it from being used as an eyedropper because

of the metal connector.

I wasn't inquiring about the why someone may or may not want the gripping section to have a metal connector, but merely pointing out that my black Jinhao 80 pens, which were ordered and delivered a little while ago, have metal connectors between section and barrel all the same.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

16 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Huh?

My black Jinhao 80 pens (with clips in either black or silver) have plastic gripping sections over threaded metal connectors to join them to the pen barrels, as far as I can tell. Looking at the product photos, I don't think any of the more colourful recent variants have “metal sections” (i.e. where the user would grip the pen when writing).

18 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Huh?

18 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Huh?

19 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Huh?

A Smug Dill:  I meant to note it is the section connector, and not the section.  Have corrected

my comment so that there will be no confusion.  

OK I've check , all the sections are plastic but all the threaded part , section connector / coupler are metal , the metal finishing can be black , chromed or gold , for sure the round section just do it better for me over the Safari's awful triangular grip , I just never able to get used to that one

I sanded the sharp clip down (with 2500 grit sandpaper) to the shiny golden-colored (plastic? brass?) base-material.. i prefer this look a lot more over the brushed silver-colored "artificial metal"-layer, which will come off in the long term.

I like that the pen is lightweight, almost like moving air around. If the clip wouldn't be so annoying (without modification) and i could do a propper Eye Dropper Conversion with it, the Jinhao 80 would be great.

Edited by ncc

22 minutes ago, ncc said:

I like that the pen is lightweight, almost like moving air around. If the clip wouldn't be so annoying (without modification) and i could do a propper Eye Dropper Conversion with it, the Jinhao 80 would be great.

At its asking price, the Jinhao 80 does not have to be “great”, to remain a compelling proposition even if it means the user may have to accept some compromises. Let's not aim for perfection for one's preferences, especially at that price point instead of tenfold that (which would still be cheaper than a Lamy 2000 by far).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, Dip n Scratch said:

Which size cartridge do these take?

I just ordered another in Blue.

Is the white a pure snow-white or does it incline towards creamy?

They take Lamy Safari cartrdiges and converters.

More color varieties available on Amazon now:

https://www.amazon.com/Brushed-Fountain-Converter-Iridium-Writing/dp/B0BCXWKCKB

They now have:

1. Black and Silver

2. Black and Black

3. Black and Gold

4. Green and Gold

5. Blue and Gold

6. Brown and Gold

7. Ivory and Gold

8. Wine and Gold

Pens are $10.99 each with free Prime Shipping.

A little more pricey than eBay. But you also get it in 2 days instead of 3-4 weeks.

Just placed an order for the bright red and avocado colored Jinhao 80.  Thought it

would go well with my Private Reserve Avocado ink, which I do not use often 

enough.  Hoping the new Jinhao 80 will inspire me.

Picture 23 of 23

I got the "two pack" from Amazon and I am really impressed with this pen.  A little bit lighter in the hand than the Lamy 2000.  Perfect ink flow on the F with silver clip, and a nice smooth nib.  I have a pretty good collection of Lamy nibs and Lamy knock-off nibs as well to change in and out.  I just ordered two more from eBay - one in avocado with a F nib and one in brown with an EF nib.  

Couldn't resist a cream-white in EF.

Are these pens more like a Lamy Aion?

Couldn't resist a Cream-White  80 with the EF nib.

A Blue one I already ordered just arrived. It was writing really dry. Definitely the nib as I tried it on a Lamy Nexx as well.

The blue Jinhao has a black Lamy EF nib for the moment

New color options - (bright) red & avocado green. These showed up on Etsy & ebay this week.

836056938_s-l16001.jpg.4ebf7258b694d5f4e57523f697de51ce.jpg

1258892231_s-l16001.jpg.a482177de85b7d1bf46fd10ffcb4a1be.jpg

1104341320_s-l16001.jpg.d2c637098e989f267dba019ae782d9e2.jpg

The full lineup:

1330210406_s-l16001.jpg.4080feac2438d31da1a622b793358ccc.jpg

3 hours ago, ChrisN said:

New color options - (bright) red & avocado green. These showed up on Etsy & ebay this week.

836056938_s-l16001.jpg.4ebf7258b694d5f4e57523f697de51ce.jpg

1258892231_s-l16001.jpg.a482177de85b7d1bf46fd10ffcb4a1be.jpg

1104341320_s-l16001.jpg.d2c637098e989f267dba019ae782d9e2.jpg

The full lineup:

1330210406_s-l16001.jpg.4080feac2438d31da1a622b793358ccc.jpg

Must… not… look… 🤣

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

My two new Jinhao 80s (bright red & olive green) just went through Export Customs yesterday!  Anticipate

delivery on Oct. 21st.  Also noted that shipments from China are being delayed. ☹️ 

UPDATE:  Left China 10/8!!

• 4 weeks later...

Of course they came out with colors.... 🙂

(The top 2 are real Lamys)

All nibs have been replaced with Lamy nibs except one, which I have a Lamy nib for but haven't gotten around to swapping it yet.1176890751_IMG_2910768.jpg.50f8a90622a9a870fcd92c933dba5665.jpg

Which do you think looks better?  Aion nib or standard Lamy nib.

2091886662_IMG_29181024.thumb.jpg.7537b2d0ac2852dbb07b1e72a1ee674a.jpg

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

My brown Jinhao 80 is now working correctly, and I love the nib it came with.  Writes a beautiful fine wet line IF I use a Parker cartridge rather than the included converter.  Inked with Chesterfield Mahogany.  Perfect match.

PS:  Always thought this pen looked like a cross between the 2000 and the Aion.

3 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

My brown Jinhao 80 is now working correctly, and I love the nib it came with.  Writes a beautiful fine wet line IF I use a Parker cartridge rather than the included converter.  Inked with Chesterfield Mahogany.  Perfect match.

PS:  Always thought this pen looked like a cross between the 2000 and the Aion.

I've been following your situation.  Why do you think it's working better with a cartridge than it did with the converter?

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

10 hours ago, USG said:

I've been following your situation.  Why do you think it's working better with a cartridge than it did with the converter?

I wish I had a clue.  

The converter draws and releases both ink and water while in the pen.  But a filled converter?  Stingy, uneven line.  Same ink, too.

It writes so beautifully with the cartridge that they are now mated for life.

(This is making me want a green one, too).