Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• J120

• Sailor Kenshin

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/25/2022 at 2:27 AM, Sailor Kenshin said:

Looks more like a Lamy Aion than the 2000 to me.

To me it look like a Lamy 80 (would the same model number be a coincidence?).

Alfredo

25 minutes ago, alfredop said:

To me it look like a Lamy 80 (would the same model number be a coincidence?).

Alfredo

I wasn't familiae with that model but yes there's a slight resemblence to the 80 as well.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

The story is concerning to hear about, but I have only tried odd samples of Baystate Blue & no other Noodler's inks. I DO use Diamine ink & I am glad that nobody has reported issues with ink from that maker.

I bought a bottle of Diamine Oxford Blue as an alternative to Hero 232, R&K 'Salix' & Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black that contain Iron-Gall. Actually I think I need another bottle....

Well, it's been almost a week now, and the pen is giving me no hard starts and writes wonderfully. I have bought quite a few Chinese pens in my time, and the Jinhao 80 is my favorite. I ordered a green and gold one with EF nib today.

At this $4-$7 price point, depending on the seller, I think this makes an EXCELLENT starter pen for someone. This is a great pen overall, but I think a pen fountain pen newbie would be very happy with this pen. And since this pen uses Lamy style (or even Lamy branded) nibs, there is some room to grow with this.  If got deeper into the hobby and wanted to experiment with a broad or stub nib, you can just buy one and throw it on this pen pretty easily. No need to take the feed out of the pen.

You can buy a pack on Amazon now (one back and silver, one all black) for $15.00 Prime shipped.

It's too bad Lamy didn't think of this design. I mean a 2000 body, with a Lamy converter and Lamy nib on it.  Jinhao Frankensteined a bunch Lamy clone parts together and created this pen with an insane price point.

If Lamy made this same style pen with a macrolon body, I could see it selling like hotcakes for $50.00.

That would actually be something to see.  A major European pen maker cloning the design of a Chinese pen company.

Edited by apastuszak
Added details

I ordered one of these in burgundy (OK, two - I tried to cancel the first order, but it had already been posted).  First arrived a couple of days ago - and I'm impressed!  The body styling is *very* similar to the Lamy 2000, but obviously it's not a piston filler and the nib is different.  Still, mine is writing beautifully thus far, and is comfortable to hold.  I just wish the 'furniture' was chrome / silver rather than gold - but no big deal, it still looks and feels good.

20220909_012133.jpg

The three Jinhao 80s I've ordered have finally been shipped.  The seller was waiting for a

restock on the white version.  I ordered red-white-blue pens, and looking forward to them

arriving.  The Jinhao does have the Makrolon look, though made from a plastic.  Doug of

Inkquiring Minds sold his Lamy 2000 and is enjoying the Jinhao 80 with a new Lamy stub nib.

well , the tracking telling me the retailer about to ship my order of the Brown, White and Grey one out tomorrow, let see how it goes .. I just wish they would had a Chrome on White option

Brown model arrived.  Tested.

It apparently has the  same problem as the Kaco Edge I got: stingy upstrokes, uneven ink flow.  And it arrived with traces of blue ink in the converter.  Does this mean they test every pen or did I get a returned one?

7 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Brown model arrived.  Tested.

It apparently has the  same problem as the Kaco Edge I got: stingy upstrokes, uneven ink flow.  And it arrived with traces of blue ink in the converter.  Does this mean they test every pen or did I get a returned one?

Both of mine had blue ink in the feed.  I think Jinhao is now testing their pens.

My brown Jinhao 80 has not been tested/used before it reached me. Are the nibs exactly compatible with a Lamy Safari nib with no hackery needed.

3 hours ago, Dip n Scratch said:

My brown Jinhao 80 has not been tested/used before it reached me. Are the nibs exactly compatible with a Lamy Safari nib with no hackery needed.

The YouTube reviews I watched say they take Safari nibs without issue.

I guess the feed has had time to saturate because mine's writing well enough now.  Next time, because of the fine nib, it will probably get a darker brown ink.  

Section seems a bit slippery.

It's MUCH lighter in weight than the enormous Lamy Aion, and lighter than the Lamy 2000.

Put Diamine Sargasso Sea in mine. No need to touch the nib IMHO. Not with that brand. I will see how things are with some Herbin & the Ostrich ink I am expecting soon.

It's giving me trouble again, drying out, stingy on the upstrokes.  I decided to try a cartridge.  Jinhao carts don't fit.  Parker carts do.  It's now filled with Chesterfield Mahogany.  We'll see.