Budget 2000. The Jinhao 80 Lamy 2000 Clone

Black Clip and .3 nib. Very smooth nibs but it is a Jinhao so no shock. Excited for the Eastern and Lamy stubs to come in for this model.

large.20220702_150437.jpg.ec3bae8dd3823c5d471f6f9e8dea43a8.jpglarge.20220702_150445.jpg.8ba8ea2e1bcabf93acb7218964623d92.jpglarge.20220702_150508.jpg.72cd703fc8517cd8fb9a5409684edfca.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• J120

• Sailor Kenshin

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, J120 said:

Lamy has a "look" and this is a franken-pen type take on a few of those "looks." If the 2000 and the 80 needed a surrogate, then Jinhao would carry and produce this baby. 

Coming back to these forums from other social media, it’s frustrating not to be able to ‘like’ a clever post like this!

LOL ..

had them for a while , will report here my Lamy nib fits fine , so do the now available calligraphy ( long knife ) nib

Really though style copying / styles generalisations in itself is not uncommon in today's commodities and fashion world , and even tech sector ( smartphones , cars ) 

Audi long ago pioneer the flat snob noise styling and now we had zillions of these ; it just so happen that now fountain pen see that too but wait is this not been going on for more than a century , looking back how is one to distinguish a Parker Vs the ( originally styled back then ) Waterman Flat Top , or how is Sailor not style copying the Montblanc when they first start their ProFit series 

My take is so long it's not a straight copying of the exact(s) it's ok with me , there is really no innovative new fountain pen style since , what way way back , more like the 1920…'s

But indeed Lamy do had a specific look to it with their 2000 and Jinhao do , I would wager , intentionally copying that. The pen part is different enough that nobody would mistaken one for the other so it's up to the individual customer to decide if it's ok ,  at least to me it's still way better than all the Safari clones 

4 hours ago, Mech-for-i said:

…The pen part is different enough that nobody would mistaken one for the other so it's up to the individual customer to decide if it's ok ,  at least to me it's still way better than all the Safari clones 

I think this is just the nature of design and innovation in every industry, since pottery was cutting edge tech, as archeology suggests. In our area of interest, it’s just another aspect of the continued development of an enduring, if archaic, writing instrument. 

These discussions about design with regard to Chinese pens has sharpened my appreciation for how common this was from the first mass produced pens of LE and AA Waterman (unrelated rivals, AA lost) all the way through the golden age. In this age of increasingly aggressive copyright/ trademark law, I’m not especially sensitive this issue, except to protect consumers, which you addressed. I feel like there are more interesting pens being made in China, mostly for internal markets, if I understand correctly, than anywhere else. It’s a treat to be able to access these pens from here in the US, honestly. 

8 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

it’s frustrating not to be able to ‘like’ a clever post like this!

You just did.

Add lightness and simplicate.

7 hours ago, socialmoth said:

I have to ask: Nib aside, is there any branding on the pen?

Don't see any 

@Mech-for-i "had them for a while , will report here my Lamy nib fits fine , so do the now available calligraphy ( long knife ) nib"

That is great to hear.  I have been using the EF, F, and 03 over the weekend while waiting for the Lamy and aftermarket calligraphy nibs to show up.

The 03 is strangely like a MF. The F writes like a WM.

So, when you say it uses a Lamy nib, which Lamy?  Ideally, it would use a Safari / AL Star nib.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

40 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

So, when you say it uses a Lamy nib, which Lamy?  Ideally, it would use a Safari / AL Star nib.

I'd guess he meant a Lamy Z50 nib, which is interchangeable with any Z52, Z53 (in spite of the different shape), Z55, Z56 or Z57 nib, as opposed to a Lamy 2000 nib which only fits the Lamy 2000 model of fountain pen and nothing else (in Lamy's current product catalogue).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

20 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'd guess he meant a Lamy Z50 nib, which is interchangeable with any Z52, Z53 (in spite of the different shape), Z55, Z56 or Z57 nib, as opposed to a Lamy 2000 nib which only fits the Lamy 2000 model of fountain pen and nothing else (in Lamy's current product catalogue).

Thank you!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

My two Jinhao 80s arrived Saturday.  One has a matte silver clip and the other a black

clip.  Did not realize my order came with two pens.  Inked the total black pen with

Monteverde Blue Black.  Fine nibs.  Will need to order Lamy Z50 nibs, for I'm not

really partial to fine nibs.   Nib will require some shimming to cause it to a wetter

writer.  Like the feel in my hands.  No stepdown between body and section.  The

clip is relatively smooth, though the silver one looks rather cheesy.  Can't expect 

this pen to be a Lamy 2000, not when two of them cost me $13.79 vs the Lamy

2000 which cost me $147.99 with a broad nib.  Relatively smooth with minimal

feedback.  Has the Lamy 2000 look up to a point, but not the Lamy 2000 filling

system or quality.  Jinhao 80 fills with an unbranded converter.  No branding on

the pen, nor the Jinhao logo on the clip.  Jinhao logo on the nib.  On the pen with

the silver clip has a silver ring around the body which joins with the section.  

Definitely not as girthy as the Lamy 2000, nor as heavy.  Caps well.  Will have

to spend the next week writing with this one to really get a feel for it.  If you

plan on writing with the fine nib, make sure to ink with a dark ink.  The Majohn

A1 is a clone. However, nobody who knows anything about FPs, will mistake

this for a Lamy 2000 clone.   It is a fair writer and does have a place for a

newbie who wants to dabble with a fountain pen to discover if they would be

interested in pursuing the hobby; particularly if they are youth age.  That way

when they lose it, and they will, the parents have not wasted a lot of money. 

Once I purchase the Lamy 1.1 stub and Med. nibs, I'm trusting it will give me

the writing experience I prefer.

9 minutes ago, Helen350 said:

Fine nibs.  Will need to order Lamy Z50 nibs, for I'm not really partial to fine nibs. …‹snip›… If you plan on writing with the fine nib, make sure to ink with a dark ink.

Sounds to me you already got the broadest of the nib width grades on offer (03, EF, and F) on the Jinhao 80.

I'm still waiting on my Jinhao 80 with a 03 nib, which I'm afraid will not be fine enough, even though I gather it's supposed to be finer than EF. I have plenty of units of the Jinhao 35, which uses the same Lamy Z50-style nib (or “aeroplane nib”, in Chinese vendors' terminology for that shape) in EF width grade, and they're usable (especially with iron-gall or pigment inks) for writing such things as grocery shopping lists and household notes that I don't really care about, but nowhere near fine enough for careful work.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Sounds to me you already got the broadest of the nib width grades on offer (03, EF, and F) on the Jinhao 80.

I'm still waiting on my Jinhao 80 with a 03 nib, which I'm afraid will not be fine enough, even though I gather it's supposed to be finer than EF....... EF width grade, and they're usable (especially with iron-gall or pigment inks) for writing such things as grocery shopping lists and household notes that I don't really care about, but nowhere near fine enough for careful work. 

Sounds like you really like an extremely fine nib.  My handwriting is too large for a 03 nib.  Can make

do with a fine/med. nib, but prefer medium and 1.1 stubs.  A snap of my handwriting.  An 03 nib

would not do it justice (LOL). These are study notes.

WIN_20220710_21_45_01_Pro.jpg

5 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm still waiting on my Jinhao 80 with a 03 nib, which I'm afraid will not be fine enough, even though I gather it's supposed to be finer than EF. I have plenty of units of the Jinhao 35, which uses the same Lamy Z50-style nib (or “aeroplane nib”, in Chinese vendors' terminology for that shape) in EF width grade, and they're usable (especially with iron-gall or pigment inks) for writing such things as grocery shopping lists and household notes that I don't really care about, but nowhere near fine enough for careful work.

My 0.3 ( 2 of them ) writes like between the Hongdain EF and F with J. Herbin Vert Empire , so I wager you can guesstimate from that 

7 hours ago, Helen350 said:

The Majohn

A1 is a clone. However, nobody who knows anything about FPs, will mistake

this for a Lamy 2000 clone.

This is a pity that they didn't attempt to distance themselves from Lamy 2000, say, by choosing a different shape of the ends and a different clip. It would be a very decent and, to a large extent, unique pen. It remains to be seen how it will hold up in the long run, but in the short run it appears to be a very good working pen.

1 hour ago, Mech-for-i said:

My 0.3 ( 2 of them ) writes like between the Hongdain EF and F

HongDian No.32 nibs, or HongDian No.26 nibs? I've not come across any HongDian No.32 EF nib that writes nearly as fine as a HongDian No.26 EF nib; and, in fact, I consider the former barely fit for purpose (for fit for my purposes for deploying EF-nibbed pens).

3 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

HongDian No.32 nibs, or HongDian No.26 nibs? I've not come across any HongDian No.32 EF nib that writes nearly as fine as a HongDian No.26 EF nib; and, in fact, I consider the former barely fit for purpose (for fit for my purposes for deploying EF-nibbed pens).

Their 26(s)

Would you know if it's a spring-loaded clip, too?

Kinda eyeing this as I have a 14k Lamy nib sitting around and nowhere to put it. Might just end up getting one if it ends up durable in the long-term.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:11 PM, Mech-for-i said:

Their 26(s)

Thanks! 

I received my order from Lusfer Store, which (unfortunately?) seems to be the only seller on AliExpress offering the E nib - as a distinctly different option alongside the EF nib, so there is no possible confusion - a couple of days ago. Alas, the pen came incorrectly fitted with an EF nib, to my unwelcome surprise when I opened up the package today. 

I'm not in the mood to have a discussion with the seller about the mismatch, partly because I expect that like most other sellers, he/she/it will keenly want to get out of giving a full refund, much less doing it over and shipping me a unit of the item originally ordered, with or without also wearing the expense of return shipping for the unwanted incorrect item. So, I've now raised a dispute directly to bypass all that pointless 'negotiation', requesting a full refund and leaving it to AliExpess decide whether it wants me to ship the US$5 pen back at the seller's (or AliExpress's) cost; I've indicated that I'll gladly do that if requested.

2 hours ago, socialmoth said:

Would you know if it's a spring-loaded clip, too?

Most certainly not on the version with a black clip, which is made of cheap, slightly bendy plastic. Given both black-clipped and silver-clipped variants are priced identically, I doubt that they would be constructed differently.

2 hours ago, socialmoth said:

Might just end up getting one if it ends up durable in the long-term.

It's a <US$5 pen. If you're prepared, or perhaps prefer, to put a German-made gold nib on a cheap pen instead of a sturdy Lamy original to match, does it really matter if it isn't durable? Just spend another US$5 some months down the track if/when the first one breaks, and you can easily renew that, um, down-to-earth appearance and writing experience. :)