PARKER FANTASY HYPOTHETICAL: You're the new owner of Parker Pen Co. What's your pen lineup?

donnweinberg

HYPOTHETICAL:  You, a multi-billionaire and pen fan, have just become, via purchase, the sole owner of the Parker Pen Company and all its property, including patents and the Archives.  Your goal is to offer the best and most interesting lineup of models you can while, at the same time, making at least a small profit.  You are not limited by history in what your pen lineup can be.  For example, if you wish, you can offer the Duofold in a new color/pattern with a flexible nib and with a filling system never offered in a Duofold or even in any Parker.  As another example, you can bring back the double-jeweled Parker 51 Vacumatic if you wish.  Tell us what models the new Parker Pen Co. would offer for sale, and describe the relevant details of each model that you'd have the new Parker Pen Co. sell.  Provide any details about whatever appeals to you in this regard, such as marketing strategy, pricing (in whichever currency you choose), and anything else you wish.  Would you stagger the introduction of your models or put them all out at once?  No limits here.  Have at it and have fun.  😍

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRedBeard

• inkstainedruth

• donnweinberg

• Targa

Great topic I should say ;) 

Well, it is quite difficult business project to plan but let's try to start with something :)

For the beginning I would try to design/redesign, make and bring to the market an original P61 with capillary filler, Rainbow, RG and Consort caps, 14k gold nibs, but with section and barrel made of Lucite. Besides, I would reintroduce P61 Flighter, Insignia and Consort Insignia models with sections made of Lucite, too.

Another immediate and easy step: scrapping an NG51 and removing it from the line-up completely. 

At the same time: reviving and bringing to the market

- original P51 Aero with RG caps; 

- P75 and P75 Premier (have to think on colours and finishes for intro line-up a bit more :) ).

Will follow up with more suggestions later :) 

All the best is only beginning now...

Important point: before starting any works on new line-up I would definitely re-established production units in Newhaven and Janesville and try to find and hire as consultants some former Parker engineers :)

Hi, TheRedBeard.  Great beginning thoughts on this topic.  I particularly like the idea of using Lucite as the "plastic," as we know how sturdy, reliable, and "quality-feeling" Lucite is.  

TheRedBeard beat me to the punch.  I love my capillary fill 61s but pretty much all of them have developed cracks over time in the barrel or hood. 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

First order of business, in order to avoid spooking all the customers and employees, is to announce that the Jotter will not change.  Probably Parker's most prolific pen and, as far as ballpoints go, an excellent one.  No need to change something so successful, especially since it's been going for six decades.

Next, as TheRedBeard says, we bring back the capillary 61, with better materials and a cleaning kit (bulb syringe fit to the filler).  The old nib will be brought back, or a new, gold one designed to be hooded.  No more dressed-up off-the-shelf nibs here.  As far as finishes, etc., I'm not a fan of the rainbow cap, but it will probably sell, so that can come back to help the success; most will just be Lustraloy.  So long as a cedar blue and burgundy get added to the color list and the arrow stays, I will be happy.  MSRP: $200, as this will certainly be a flagship.

After that, we really reimagine the 51 as a piston filler.  As with the 61, an all-new nib is a must, and no translucent plastics to save money (except for the demonstrators, another bow to popularity).  Get rid of those silly screw caps and make the slip cap standard; these are writers, not status symbols!  Bring back the original color scheme used on the Vacumatics, but I like the Aerometric's arrow better, so we'll use that.  MSRP: $100 for stainless steel nib, $200 for 14k.

Next, bring back the 45, pretty much as is.  It was a champ, a very unassuming, practical writer.  Always a need for these.  MSRP: $45 (why not?)

Finally, we examine tweaking and re-releasing the Falcon and 180.  They are very striking, eye-catching pens, but the Falcon is just a bit small for my hand, so I have not tried the 180, much as I want to.  If these could be just a bit larger while still looking sleek, I'd bring them back in a heartbeat.  The Falcon would be primarily a Flighter, with the matte black returning and a matte navy making an introduction.  The hideous brown and gold would only be allowed as a limited San Diego Padres edition and only sold in the confines of Petco Park.  MSRP: $75, with the Padres Edition selling for $98.

Step 6: PROFIT!

"Nothing is new under the sun!  Even the thing of which we say, “See, this is new!” has already existed in the ages that preceded us." Ecclesiastes

Somewhere else at FPN, concerning the Wing Sung 601 (the Parker 51 Vacumatic imitator), Welch stated:

Nothing in a 601 interchanges with a Parker 51, but if I were king, I would have Parker contract with Wing Sung to change the 601 slightly to be compatible with the old Parker 51 nib and cap, and then market the pen as the Parker 51 Next Gen, the P-51 Mark IV or V. The rest is all there: feed running through a finned collector that looks a lot like the P-51 collector, the breather tube, the arrow clip.

This is an intriguing idea.  The WS 601 nib is steel and much smaller than the P51 nib (whether gold or steel).  But the WS 601 has a slip-on cap, an ink window, a metal plunger, a non-rubber vacuum end, and both the section and back end easily unscrew, and then re-screw after using a little silicone grease (no shellac needed).  On the con side, the WS 601 only offers, at best, a fine nib, so our company will have to offer wider nibs.  Our new Parker company could learn a few lessons from Wing Sung in improving the P51.  

I wouldn't rush to do anything.

I'd remove the rubbishy IM and Urban lines which I believe do not do the brand many favours. 

I'd then commission some research - as Parker did for the Parker 51 and the jotter. 

Rather than rush out an old design such as the P51 which was designed to solve the problems of the 20th Century, what pens do people need/want for now?

Japanese brands such as Pilot have been innovative in this area for years. Their erasable rollerball ink is wonderful and far less messy than previous solutions. Many other brands have remained pretty stagnant. New models, but no progress in ergonomics or anything like that - yes, there was the Parker Ingenuity which went nowhere, whilst Mistubishi introduced their air pens, which did the same job for the fractio n of th eprice of a refll. 

What do folks want pens to do now?  So, rather than remake the P51, I'd try and see if I could get a 21st century equivelent. 

I'd also think about sustainablity. Getting gold out of the ground and turning it into nibs uses a lot of carbon. So, maybe look at a more sustainable alternative. I'm surprised that pen companies have not instituted nib reccyling schemes. There's over a century of 14K, 18K (and 21K) nibs out there - many of which are languishing unused and unloved. It must be possible to collect these nibs, melt them down if necessary and make new ones. In addition - cartridge pens feature single use plastic - again could there be a more sustainable alternative? 

Modern Duofolds would be my upper level with limited editions, Cicèle, Athenes and the standard pens offered in black & red (smooth and chased) along with crushed velvet in burgundy, blue, green and white pearl.  75s would be the writer's series because of the triangular grip and rotatable nib. Every possible nib would be available here, these would come in sterling Cicèle, Fougère, Grain d'Orge, Milleraies, Stainless, and none of the easily damaged surfaces.  45s would be the entry level series with 4 nib sizes, lots of colors and of course stainless steel.  Then there would be Jotters, one does not mess with success!  And last, I would have Vectors for advertising and companies as bulk items.  An improved Penman Sapphire ink would be available.

If I was the owner of Parker, or for that matter Sheaffer , or Cross, the first thing I would do is overhaul the product line so that every product was targeted to a specific audience or for a specific purpose. Some models would be discontinued.

The first goal of my marketing would be to explain why people needed a pen. My emphasis would be on the active writing and the beauty of creation and reception. My goal would be to a create writing lifestyle to which the pen became a necessary tool. There are so many free Ball points out there that there’s a little reason to buy a premium writing tool. We must re-introduce people to the art and beauty of handwriting.

All of these companies have been sucked dry. For me, the evidence is the release of the Parker 51. Someone who didn’t understand pens, appreciate history, or is involved in writing as a lifestyle created that pen and tossed it out onto the market. What they succeeded in doing was to dilute the brand and the name of that pen.

When they released it with both steel, and gold nibs, they released the Parker 21 and the Parker 51 and expected everyone to buy it just because it was a Parker 51.  The newer ones just hitting the market and the brighter colors with the sculpture caps are essentially the old Parker 41. Parker brought a new pen to the market that is a worthy writer but they disrespected the heritage, brand, and name in order to sell it. Parker 51s, 41s, and 21s right huge change to the Penn market. Parker should’ve chosen to respect history instead of going for cheap marketing.

If I was able to fix the culture and create the writing lifestyle , then there would be no stopping the brand and everything else that was mentioned here could happen. We have to fix the reason why people buy pens. Then we can sell pens, paper, ink, and accessories by the boatload.

22 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

TheRedBeard beat me to the punch.  I love my capillary fill 61s but pretty much all of them have developed cracks over time in the barrel or hood. 

Ruth, sorry for hurting you in this matter again :( 

But it is my crazy dream to have P61 made of Lucite :) 

22 hours ago, Checklist said:

First order of business, in order to avoid spooking all the customers and employees, is to announce that the Jotter will not change.  Probably Parker's most prolific pen and, as far as ballpoints go, an excellent one.  No need to change something so successful, especially since it's been going for six decades.

Next, as TheRedBeard says, we bring back the capillary 61, with better materials and a cleaning kit (bulb syringe fit to the filler).  The old nib will be brought back, or a new, gold one designed to be hooded.  No more dressed-up off-the-shelf nibs here.  As far as finishes, etc., I'm not a fan of the rainbow cap, but it will probably sell, so that can come back to help the success; most will just be Lustraloy.  So long as a cedar blue and burgundy get added to the color list and the arrow stays, I will be happy.  MSRP: $200, as this will certainly be a flagship.

After that, we really reimagine the 51 as a piston filler.  As with the 61, an all-new nib is a must, and no translucent plastics to save money (except for the demonstrators, another bow to popularity).  Get rid of those silly screw caps and make the slip cap standard; these are writers, not status symbols!  Bring back the original color scheme used on the Vacumatics, but I like the Aerometric's arrow better, so we'll use that.  MSRP: $100 for stainless steel nib, $200 for 14k.

Next, bring back the 45, pretty much as is.  It was a champ, a very unassuming, practical writer.  Always a need for these.  MSRP: $45 (why not?)

Finally, we examine tweaking and re-releasing the Falcon and 180.  They are very striking, eye-catching pens, but the Falcon is just a bit small for my hand, so I have not tried the 180, much as I want to.  If these could be just a bit larger while still looking sleek, I'd bring them back in a heartbeat.  The Falcon would be primarily a Flighter, with the matte black returning and a matte navy making an introduction.  The hideous brown and gold would only be allowed as a limited San Diego Padres edition and only sold in the confines of Petco Park.  MSRP: $75, with the Padres Edition selling for $98.

Step 6: PROFIT!

Sure, I fully agree that Jotter must be kept intact. 

After some consideration I think P100 should be re-introduced, too, though may be with some minor  tweaks... 

TheRedBeard, what tweaks would you have made to the Parker 100?

If I was the owner of Parker, or for that matter Sheaffer , or Cross, the first thing I would do is overhaul the product line so that every product was targeted to a specific audience or for a specific purpose. Some models would be discontinued.

The first goal of my marketing would be to explain why people needed a pen. My emphasis would be on the active writing and the beauty of creation and reception. My goal would be to a create writing lifestyle to which the pen became a necessary tool. There are so many free Ball points out there that there’s a little reason to buy a premium writing tool. We must re-introduce people to the art and beauty of handwriting.

All of these companies have been sucked dry. For me, the evidence is the release of the Parker 51. Someone who didn’t understand pens, appreciate history, or is involved in writing as a lifestyle created that pen and tossed it out onto the market. What they succeeded in doing was to dilute the brand and the name of that pen.

When they released it with both steel, and gold nibs, they released the Parker 21 and the Parker 51 and expected everyone to buy it just because it was a Parker 51.  The newer ones just hitting the market and the brighter colors with the sculpture caps are essentially the old Parker 41. Parker brought a new pen to the market that is a worthy writer but they disrespected the heritage, brand, and name in order to sell it. Parker 51s, 41s, and 21s right huge change to the Penn market. Parker should’ve chosen to respect history instead of going for cheap marketing.

If I was able to fix the culture and create the writing lifestyle , then there would be no stopping the brand and everything else that was mentioned here could happen. We have to fix the reason why people buy pens. Then we can sell pens, paper, ink, and accessories by the boatload.

My lineup

Fountain Pens

The Duofold

Sonnet Gold nib only

Rebrand Parker 51 

Rebrand Parker 41

Rebrand Parker 21

IM

Vector

Ballpoint Rollerball

Jotter

Jotter Supreme

Anything not mentioned will be discontinued. 

6 hours ago, TheRedBeard said:

Ruth, sorry for hurting you in this matter again :( 

But it is my crazy dream to have P61 made of Lucite :) 

Oh, I'm not arguing on that -- not at all.  I totally agree with you that if Parker made 61s out of Lucite from the get-go?  They might very well have pushed 51s out as the flagship of the brand.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think everyone is already making a lot of great points. I think if I had my way I would start with more special editions. How many for each model just depends on careful market testing. I'm just assuming that forty years from now, the people who still like ink pens will also be into novelty, sentiment, aesthetics, and personalization. Any pens necessary for work will still generally be the cheapos, and there's so much competition there.

The next thing I would do is create licensed stylus "refills" for all models, built for specific touchscreen devices. There are actually a lot of people doing some of their art on their tablets and laptops, even if its just touchup work, but the nibs seem to be proprietary. Then you pitch the full experience, try to draw younger generations back into paper art after growing up with their screens. 

Personally, I would take it easy.

First, I would look at what are currently the main sources of revenue and strengthen them. If I wanted the brand to last, the first step is to ensure it has income to survive and keep labor and expertise within.

Most likely that would mean (but this is pure speculation) some low-end products that sell in large quantities and a few or one high-end that is sold rarely but yields high profit margins.

So, to start, I would try to further promote those lines with marketing, building on the reputation of the brand. Then, once the base line is secured, I would start moving ahead.

As mentioned, first is a market analysis to see what do people demand now, and what would they dream about, think it is neat, or would be interested in buying. And then try to build that into a next generation of models. That also means finding out what the "ideal citizen" looks like for the new generations, and how a pen fits or can be made to fit into that ideal (say, speculating: stressing it gives you elegance, a personal touch to communications, individualized communications, makes you look caring and concerning, recycling materials, etc...), and that will possibly force a venture into related fields, which may be only sensible: MB sells also watches, notebooks, etc... so it is not that bad an idea to associate a brand with a style of life.

Again, this is speculation, but I think that carbon-footprint, sustainability, durability and recyclability might score high. That poses a problem: a long-lasting pen means less sales per time/person. Recyclability would be key here: if one can convince environmentally-conscious buyers that changing to new, "better" models will have little or no impact, then they may be more open to "updating" their pens, increasing sales. But that also requires a lot of research to find new materials, designs, industrial methods, etc... hence the importance of first securing the base line.

For instance, in the previous example of an environmentally conscious customer, if one can produce "heterogeneous tree paper" instead of "monoculture tree paper", that means that a paper maker will need to maintain forests, and that these need to have different trees, and if wood collection is done carefully, that allows other organisms to coexist, one will be able to make his tree-farms into "nature-reserves" and market "nature-reserve paper", and even market tourism to them. And associate with an image of sensible, caring, artistic people, who values personalized contacts, likes to draw sketches, appreciates nature, wants to maintain nature reserves that can be exploited in a sustainable way that coexists with Nature, and where one can go to get back in contact with Nature...". And what would you need for that? The right "BRAND" pen, the right "BRAND" paper, the right "BRAND" attitude to Nature and to others... You could associate a range of stationary, Nature-life-related products (clothing, tools, bags, solar/automatic smartwatches, suntan lotion, perfumes, etc.), visits (maybe luxury) to your "reserves" (picture yourself in Africa, but instead of in a Palm-tree-only forest, in a Natural reserve with workers helping keep it neat and secure while pruning and collecting wood --needs not be like that, it might be just a small tourist area, but you can certainly sell that image associated with your brand very effectively), visits to the brand production sites where old models are kept like a museum, establish recycling points to collect used and no-longer-wanted products and make them into the next model, associate with SMEs, a brand that gives life-time warranties, echo/bio tags, whatever...

Ditto, that was only a very far-fetched example assuming, e.g. an environmentally conscious customer. It could be a techie customer and then have pens with OCR and Bluetooth connection, built-in memory, a camera that can be used as a scanner, graphite materials, ability to use as a stylus, direct brain connection, innovative materials, who knows.

The point is that the brand image needs to adapt to new expectations. What are these? Who knows? Certainly, not me.

That is what the market research is for, to define these interests and help shape the perceived needs of prospective customers.

Note I said nothing about the pens themselves. What I would like is irrelevant. It is what customers want or can be sold, and sustainability of the brand and its workforce that really matters.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.