Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Looking for a black ink with no sheen

CoolBreeze

On 6/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, HobbitLife said:

Here’s a comparison of a few on TR held at an angle to see how they reflect light. The top 2 Lamy Blacks are in different pens. In the drier nib it is very matte, starts to sheen slightly in the wetter one. Kaweco is the clear winner of “matte-ness” IMO.

F0D67708-E4FE-4152-8230-ED41A45AF2F2.thumb.jpeg.a8410b4fc30dddfaf77fe22f8693afaa.jpeg

This is a really awesome pic!  I really surprised it beats HOD. I feel everyone refers to that ink as the black hole! Thanks for not forgetting this thread!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• CoolBreeze

• HobbitLife

• arcfide

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, CoolBreeze said:

This is a really awesome pic!  I really surprised it beats HOD. I feel everyone refers to that ink as the black hole! Thanks for not forgetting this thread!

The challenge is that total blackness is not the same as whether a black ink has sheen or not. The carbon black inks are very black hole in terms of raw total blackness, but they sheen, and thus can create different effects. HoD might be quite black, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sheen. A lot of the more saturated black inks will tend to sheen, even though they are objectively darker than other inks that are more matte and don't sheen as much. 

19 hours ago, CoolBreeze said:

Actually Noodler's Old Manhattan (exclusive to Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC) is "the black hole" -- but that's partially because it tends to spread.  I have a bottle of it but almost never use it, because Heart of Darkness is good enough for my purposes, and is really pretty waterproof (it's one of the inks I use for addressing envelopes and signing checks).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."