Birmingham Pen Company "Ironsides" First Impression

Oso

I received a pen from Birmingham Pen Company today. It is the

"Ironsides" Model-C with a "Raven" clip. The clip has the black ceramic coating used on their "Raven" model. I ordered mine with a Nemosine 0.6 stub.

r/fountainpens - Ironsides Model-C from Birmingham Pen Company

Ordering: It took about three weeks to receive the pen from the time of order. Birmingham Pens is a small family-owned and operated company. They make their pens in small batches to fulfill orders as they come in.

Receiving: The pen came with a certificate of authenticity and serial number. The pen arrived securely packed in an attractive box a postcard, the certificate, and a note from Nick.

Fit and Finish: The pen is hefty. It has a satin finish that suits the material. It is cigar-shaped and has simple, clean lines. The black clip contrasts nicely with the silver gray finish. The photos of this pen on the Birmingham website look like there is a greenish color cast. The pen is more like silver-gray color in real life. There is the option of "Raven" or satin steel for the clip material, and it is possible to change the clip after purchase, so it is not a big commitment.

The pen feels like a precision instrument. The threaded components almost spin together or apart once loosened for assembly or disassembly. The cap does not post securely (I did not press it hard on the pen), but I don't post my pens. The size and weight of the pen un-posted made it feel comfortable in my hand.

Writing Experience: It is a weighty pen. If you like lightweight pens, this is not the one for you.

So far, I have written on Leuchturm 1917 and cheap computer paper (in the photos). The Nemosine 0.6 stub is the perfect thickness for my writing. The nib had a lot of feedback on the Leuchturm with an audible sound but has not caught on paper. It felt more like a cursive italic nib, but that's alright. Hopefully, it will smooth out a bit with use.

I am using Platinum Cassis Black in the photos.

Nemosine 0.6 stub with Platinum Cassis Black on printer paper

Conclusion: I am happy with this pen and think it is a good value. It just feels like a high-quality, precision machined pen. I like supporting small companies that make great products. I have not tried their ink yet, but have some on order, and I am looking forward to giving it a go and doing more business with https://www.birminghampens.com/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oso

• amberleadavis

• Rebbe

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a pen from Birmingham Pen Company today. It is the "Ironsides" Model-C with a "Raven" clip. The clip has the black ceramic coating used on their "Raven" model. I ordered mine with a Nemosine 0.6 stub.

Ordering: It took about three weeks to receive the pen from the time of order. Birmingham Pens is a small family-owned and operated company. They make their pens in small batches to fulfill orders as they come in.

Receiving: The pen came with a certificate of authenticity and serial number. The pen arrived securely packed in an attractive box a postcard, the certificate, and a note from Nick.

Fit and Finish: The pen is hefty. It has a satin finish that suits the material. It is cigar-shaped and has simple, clean lines. The black clip contrasts nicely with the silver gray finish. The photos of this pen on the Birmingham website look like there is a greenish color cast. The pen is more like silver-gray color in real life. There is the option of "Raven" or satin steel for the clip material, and it is possible to change the clip after purchase, so it is not a big commitment.

The pen feels like a precision instrument. The threaded components almost spin together or apart once loosened for assembly or disassembly. The cap does not post securely (I did not press it hard on the pen), but I don't post my pens. The size and weight of the pen un-posted made it feel comfortable in my hand.

Writing Experience: It is a weighty pen. If you like lightweight pens, this is not the one for you.

So far, I have written on Leuchturm 1917 and cheap computer paper (in the photos). The Nemosine 0.6 stub is the perfect thickness for my writing. The nib had a lot of feedback on the Leuchturm with an audible sound but has not caught on paper. It felt more like a cursive italic nib, but that's alright. Hopefully, it will smooth out a bit with use.

I am using Platinum Cassis Black in the photos.

Nemosine 0.6 stub with Platinum Cassis Black on printer paper

Conclusion: I am happy with this pen and think it is a good value. It just feels like a high-quality, precision machined pen. I like supporting small companies that make great products. I have not tried their ink yet, but have some on order, and I am looking forward to giving it a go and doing more business with https://www.birminghampens.com/

I've eyeballed their shop at least twice since you posted this review. Thanks for sharing! Informative, and the pictures look great. 

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

4 hours ago, Rebbe said:

I've eyeballed their shop at least twice since you posted this review. Thanks for sharing! Informative, and the pictures look great. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I have the following to add as an update:

Edit/Update: I noticed that after a day of writing with this pen, the nib seems subjectively smoother with less feedback (is this a nice way of saying less scratchy?). It could also be that my hand is getting used to finding a sweet spot, I'm not sure, but it is feeling more "stubby" and less "italic-y." Whatever the case, it is a pleasure to write with.

Unrelated to nib feel - I looked closely at the nib/feed alignment and made a minor adjustment. Not an uncommon issue with a new pen/nib.

Thank you for the lovely review. I think this size suits your penmanship well.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 1:57 PM, amberleadavis said:

Thank you for the lovely review. I think this size suits your penmanship well.

Thank you for the kind feedback, Amberleadavis.