Your Top 5 Writers

PithyProlix

This is hella difficult, but it I had to choose 5 on recent writing alone, it’s a lot of inexpensive pens: Sailor profit jr cyan blue is my EDC right now, I normally like really smooth pens but something about this one just works with my pen grasp and the sound is neat. A Sonnet clone of unknown make with a western M genius iridium marked gp nib, really smooth writer. My WG Pelikan m800 is the most spendy pen on the list- M sized 14k nib writes butter smooth, every time since 1989. The last two spots are for actual Parkers- my F gold nibbed 51, and my broad Slimfold. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Misfit

• essayfaire

• Michael Jennings

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Michael Jennings said:

1. Pilot Metropolitan with a <CM> nib. I know...cheap pen, but my favorite nib for my writing style. Probably saving me some $$$ that this nib does not appear to be available in "Better($$$)" pens.

2. Pilot 823, after a trip to Mark Bacas to alter the <M> nib to a <MF Cursive Italic>

3. Parker 51 ca. 1946 <F>. Given to me by my granda when I started the 4th Grade.. recently went to Ron Zorn for a refurbish.

4. Kaweco Brass Sport <F>

5. Montblanc 146 BB from the early 1990's... Also recently went to Bacas for some baby bottoming/skipping and modified to a Cursive Italic.

FWIW: I have a drawer full of various inks, but almost all of my currently inked (used) pens are filled with Diamine Oxford Blue. [Parker 51- Watermans Black]

I love my italic nibs. I have three 78g Bs, which are equivalent to the CM. Also, two 78g BBs, and three Plumix/Pluminix Fs. Plus I am enjoying some Osmiroid extrafine and fine italic nibs. 

My favorite, mostly due the size I normally write plus the overall crispness, is the Plumix F. I have been mulling over getting two or three pens that I really like - but don't use much because of their line thickness - professionally ground to fine italic - maybe a Sailor 1911L H-M, a Sheaffer Valor (presumably an M nib), and/or a Sheaffer Imperial (also presumably an M nib). Given you already have and enjoy the Pilot CM but have also had Mark Bacas ground a couple really nice pens into cursive italics, what are your thoughts, please? 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

PithyProlux, I have no knowledge or experience with the pens/nibs you listed, but if you're asking about my experience with Mark's work: The Pilot 823 was transformed to an incredible writer, nothing about it that I don't like. The MB146 was cured of its "wear faults" but didn't get the same degree of change to its line/variation. Mark said that the design of the nib/tipping limited how far he could go safely. I would highly recommend that you communicate with Mark or a "nib smith" of your choice and discuss what you want and what pens you are considering for modification. Pretty sure that he/they would be pretty familiar with the possibilities for most of you choices.

9 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

I love my italic nibs. I have three 78g Bs, which are equivalent to the CM. Also, two 78g BBs, and three Plumix/Pluminix Fs. Plus I am enjoying some Osmiroid extrafine and fine italic nibs. 

My favorite, mostly due the size I normally write plus the overall crispness, is the Plumix F. I have been mulling over getting two or three pens that I really like - but don't use much because of their line thickness - professionally ground to fine italic - maybe a Sailor 1911L H-M, a Sheaffer Valor (presumably an M nib), and/or a Sheaffer Imperial (also presumably an M nib). Given you already have and enjoy the Pilot CM but have also had Mark Bacas ground a couple really nice pens into cursive italics, what are your thoughts, please? 

1 hour ago, Michael Jennings said:

PithyProlux, I have no knowledge or experience with the pens/nibs you listed, but if you're asking about my experience with Mark's work: The Pilot 823 was transformed to an incredible writer, nothing about it that I don't like. The MB146 was cured of its "wear faults" but didn't get the same degree of change to its line/variation. Mark said that the design of the nib/tipping limited how far he could go safely. I would highly recommend that you communicate with Mark or a "nib smith" of your choice and discuss what you want and what pens you are considering for modification. Pretty sure that he/they would be pretty familiar with the possibilities for most of you choices.

Thanks for the response. 

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I was wondering if you could compare the Pilot CM with the italic nibs you have that were ground by Mark Bacas. 

This is pretty easy, as I pretty much have done this. That is, segregate 5 pens for routine writing. (The others are mostly less commonly used nib sizes and ink colors, although they do get regular use, and write well.) Here are the 5, in no particular order:

• Pilot Custom 823 medium - a long time favorite with enormous ink capacity
  • Visconti Bronze Age fine - a beast of a pen, but the softest nib I own
  • Pelikan M600 fine - long term workhorses, with wet, slightly stiffer nibs
  • Lamy 2000 fine - most well-engineered pen I own. Not afraid to carry it anywhere, as it seems indestructible.
  • Sailor 1911 Realo medium- small ink capacity, but the nib is so buttery soft and sloppy wet

All these have decent to large ink capacity, and have soft wet nibs that are a joy to write with. The 823 and M600s (I actually have two in different colors/inks) have been with me a very long time, and are well-loved and used.

I'll take a try at this as well. Based on my pen/ink log, I can say my most used pens are also my favorites. In order of use:

Nakaya (M) (sees as much use as the others combined)

Pelikan M1005 (M)

Mont Blanc 149 (M)

Parker "51" (Buckskin Beige w/ stub nib)

Parker 75

Honorable mention: Pelikan M805 until a coworker broke it. Thanks to Pelikan, it's back up and running and may replace the Parker 75.

Lessee.

Pelikan M200 F with blue swirl binde, my first Pen of a Lifetime.  I will use it as long as I live.  I really enjoy writing with this pen.
Pelikan M205 Aqua F, the first really fine pen my wife gave me, always filled with Ku-Jaku, the first ink she gave me -- and there's a wonderful color match here.  This combination is always used when writing my billets-doux to her.
Jinhao 51A XF.  This is a consumable, not a pen I expect to last forever.  In fact, I've lost three already -- two to dogs, one to a quarry tile floor.  But for jotting things at work, nothing beats it.
Pilot Prera <CM> nib.  I have no better edged-point pen.  I just love the line variation.  I only wish it had a tad more girth.
FPR Himalaya Green Ripple Ebonite 1.0M stub nib.  This is the one that gets all the questionable inks, and goes everywhere because it's tough, easy to repair, easy to knock down for cleaning, and easy to replace.

Honorable Mentions:

My dad's Parker "51", black & lustraloy, with F nib.  Nearly 70 years old, still writes like a champ.  But for sentimental reasons, it never leaves my desk.
Pilot Para//el 1.5mm, useful for training myself not to write cramped narrow awful.
My wife has since given me another blue swirl Pelikan M200 and a black M205, neither of which have been inked yet, though I've had them for YEARS.
The soft and bouncy Montblanc 72 F she also gave me.  Like Dad's "51", it's a desk denizen.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:22 AM, PithyProlix said:

Thanks for the response. 

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I was wondering if you could compare the Pilot CM with the italic nibs you have that were ground by Mark Bacas. 

That would be a pretty meaningless comparison I'm afraid. The 823 is a finer line in general, than the CM and the pen is a bit wetter than the Metropolitan. There was not a significant change in the line of the MB146 from it's original line, mainly just cured the skipping and baby-bottoming it had developed in 30+ years of use [however there is a subtle line variation if I do my part].

The CM nib gives a consistent "line variation" that I find attractive in my "style" of cursive writing. The nibs are smooth and the inexpensive pen provide a consistent and predictable flow. NOTE: I don't care for the converters with the Metropolitan or the Prera, and use syringe filled Pilot Ink Cartridges in both pens. Ink= Diamine Oxford Blue (Same ink used in the 823 and the 146).

The other problem with comparison is the both the 823 and the 146 are large (#6 size?) 14k nibs and the CM is a smaller (#5size?) steel nib. I like smaller nibs in general, but I don't find either size superior/inferior to the other in use.

@ArkanabarFabulous list.  You are lucky that your wife seems to choose wisely, and that implies you have chosen wisely as well, I suppose! ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Those are the high points.  Alas, there are also quite a few pens she's bought for me that I just don't like.  The five-pack of Jinhao X750s and the Jinhao X450 are also among pens I can't wait to give away when I can find a willing recipient.  But the worst example would be the "MontBlanc Meisterstuck Diamond Solitaire Tribute to the Mont Blanc White Mozart Edition."  It's short, it's skinny, and it has a delicate white lacquer finish, which I re-gifted to her, as she's more than happy to have stuff she likes but doesn't use.  Me, I am hard on my pens, one reason I don't have a bunch of pens in the middle-to-upper three digits of USD, let alone any pens with a 4-digit price.  I occasionally consider getting an urushi, if only because ordinary wear on the finish is regarded as part of the aesthetic.

17 hours ago, Michael Jennings said:

That would be a pretty meaningless comparison I'm afraid. The 823 is a finer line in general, than the CM and the pen is a bit wetter than the Metropolitan. There was not a significant change in the line of the MB146 from it's original line, mainly just cured the skipping and baby-bottoming it had developed in 30+ years of use [however there is a subtle line variation if I do my part].

The CM nib gives a consistent "line variation" that I find attractive in my "style" of cursive writing. The nibs are smooth and the inexpensive pen provide a consistent and predictable flow. NOTE: I don't care for the converters with the Metropolitan or the Prera, and use syringe filled Pilot Ink Cartridges in both pens. Ink= Diamine Oxford Blue (Same ink used in the 823 and the 146).

The other problem with comparison is the both the 823 and the 146 are large (#6 size?) 14k nibs and the CM is a smaller (#5size?) steel nib. I like smaller nibs in general, but I don't find either size superior/inferior to the other in use.

WRT the line, I'd probably send along a Plumix with its F italic nib and ask the nibmeister if she/he could get it close to that. I was wondering more about the performance when writing than the result on the page. The Plumix F is the least forgiving of Pilot's italic nibs, I think. Even though I write with a light hand, have used it long enough to learn its 'ins and outs' pretty well, and am mindful about its position relative to the page, it still can catch a little, though infrequently, and have short moments of a little scratchiness, also somewhat infrequently, both seemingly at random times. Ideally, I'd want something that gives the line of the Plumix F while minimizing these issues. (And I don't need, or even want, 'butter smooth'.)

4 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

WRT the line, I'd probably send along a Plumix with its F italic nib and ask the nibmeister if she/he could get it close to that. I was wondering more about the performance when writing than the result on the page. The Plumix F is the least forgiving of Pilot's italic nibs, I think. Even though I write with a light hand, have used it long enough to learn its 'ins and outs' pretty well, and am mindful about its position relative to the page, it still can catch a little, though infrequently, and have short moments of a little scratchiness, also somewhat infrequently, both seemingly at random times. Ideally, I'd want something that gives the line of the Plumix F while minimizing these issues. (And I don't need, or even want, 'butter smooth'.)

The Pilot CM nibs I have are "Flawless" in terms of feel on the page for me. Just the right hint of feedback and no scratch or catch.

The 823 in it's original M was almost too smooth for me... Mark Bacas' MF Cursive Italic grind resulted in a smooth but "controllable" writing experience for me.

The only pens I have that cause me some "feel" issues are;

Pilot Falcon SF: pretty scratchy

Vintage Sheaffer Sentinel F: Smooth excellent writer but sensitive to rotation on upstrokes.

Hope this answers your question, but these are subjective and really unique to each writer. FWIW I'm left handed but write mirror image to a right hander [ opposite paper slant / underhanded]

Here we go!

1. Platinum Procyon Turquoise, Fine

2. Platinum Preppy; Nib size: 02

3. TWSBI Diamond 580, EF

4. TWSBI Eco, EF

5. Sheaffer No Nonsense, F (regular) or Italic Fine

The first 4 I use every day. The Sheaffer is my first FP and it will be my first Fountain Pen love. 💕

1. Sailor Pro Gear M 

2. Sailor Pro Gear Slim F

3. PenBBS 323 (aluminium) M

4. Pilot E95 F

5. Pelikan M400

Nothing very special there, and a few more traditionally "desirable" pens didn't make the list. The first three are definitely the ones I use the most, and in that order, but perhaps partly because they're each inked according to the needs of the notes I make while working. The Pilot is currently my favourite pocket pen.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:08 PM, Michael Jennings said:

The Pilot CM nibs I have are "Flawless" in terms of feel on the page for me. Just the right hint of feedback and no scratch or catch.

The 823 in it's original M was almost too smooth for me... Mark Bacas' MF Cursive Italic grind resulted in a smooth but "controllable" writing experience for me.

The only pens I have that cause me some "feel" issues are;

Pilot Falcon SF: pretty scratchy

Vintage Sheaffer Sentinel F: Smooth excellent writer but sensitive to rotation on upstrokes.

Hope this answers your question, but these are subjective and really unique to each writer. FWIW I'm left handed but write mirror image to a right hander [ opposite paper slant / underhanded]

I love the CM nib (or, actually, the 78G 'B' nib, which is the same other than cosmetic differences) but they are a bit wide for my usually writing. Of the nibs I know, they are the best value today, to my mind.

I recently got a vintage Pilot Elabo/Falcon SF that is not scratchy at all. Maybe you have a bad one (or it needs tuning)?

(Sheaffer recycled the Sentinel name, causing needless confusion. There's the old one with the Triumph-style nib and the later one made by Sailor for Sheaffer - completely different pens with completely different nib designs.)

Thanks for your patience with my questions and I appreciate the answers!

On 5/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, PithyProlix said:

*No cheating*:  no more than five! 

Just 5 and only by writing, ugh

I must have answered in some other similar rando thread but a new recollection reveals some Americans, a German and Japanese: 

• Waterman 52 Red ripple from Greg Minuskin (the 1 of 3 that writes the best)
  • Sheaffer 5 with Minuskin repair after a UK pen dealer cracked the nib while 'flexing'
  • Pelikan M800 (M) auction won, unknown nibmeister stub
  • Sailor KOP (M)
  • Pilot Custom Urushi (FM) my wife's pen > Pilot Custom Urushi (M) mine; I prefer FM over too glassy smooth, waay fatter M

Oddly none of the custom to my hand nib expert worked pens are on the list?!

On 6/10/2022 at 11:56 PM, PithyProlix said:

I love the CM nib (or, actually, the 78G 'B' nib, which is the same other than cosmetic differences) but they are a bit wide for my usually writing. Of the nibs I know, they are the best value today, to my mind.

I recently got a vintage Pilot Elabo/Falcon SF that is not scratchy at all. Maybe you have a bad one (or it needs tuning)?

(Sheaffer recycled the Sentinel name, causing needless confusion. There's the old one with the Triumph-style nib and the later one made by Sailor for Sheaffer - completely different pens with completely different nib designs.)

Thanks for your patience with my questions and I appreciate the answers!

My Sentinel is the older Touchdown filler with a 14k triumph nib... I had Ron Zorn restore the filler system.

1 - black MB 149 -that just happened to come with  really smooth XF

2 - Vermeil MB 146 with XF  

spacer.png

3 - sterling Waterman CF

spacer.png

4 - Parker 51 Flighter with accountant's nib

4 - Classic Pens sterling ZJ Mosaique with customized XF  (MB 149 shown for size)

spacer.png

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html