Your Top 5 Writers

PithyProlix

12 hours ago, TheDutchGuy said:

These five pens were relatively cheap. By today’s standards they might be comparable to entry-level gold-nibbed pens like the Sailor 1911 Standard or the Pilot Custom 74. The bodies of these pens aren’t remarkable in terms of material or workmanship, although the Ero and the Torca sure look nice. These pens are far removed from pens like Pelikan or Montblanc. Yet they write nicer than any modern pen I have. To put it succinctly, this is fountain penning as it was in the golden age. There’s nothing quite like it.

Very well said, and thank you for showing us these splendid pens.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PithyProlix

• Misfit

• essayfaire

• Michael Jennings

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My opinions change over time, but here are five current top writers in no particular order.

1. Montblanc 144 OBB (1950's). Just awesome nib and pen.

2. Montblanc 244 M (1950's). Just the right wetness and stubbyness.

3. Pelikan M205 Aquamarine F (2010's). Daily workhorse.

4. Pelikan 400 M (1950's). A special M nib which feels better than other Pelikan 400 M's.

5. Montblanc 204 desk pen B (1950's/1960's). I like the idea of having a desk pen, and this is a wet and crisp stub.

In order of preference:

Montblanc 146 F/M Nib (c 1985)

Pelikan M800 OB Nib (c 2005)

Montblanc Hemingway M Nib (1992)

Aurora Optima M Nib (c 2010)

Sheaffer Targa CI Nib (c 1990)

I am planning to have the Hemingway ground down to a OM and then it might take over as #1. I'll let you all know.

My five:

Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age with 1.3mm stub nib

Edison Beaumont in Molten Ores with 1.1mm italic nib

vintage Esterbrook LJ Bell System Property in black with 2314-M nib

Pelikan Cafe Creme with italic nib

Retro 51 Ombré Blue Lagoon with 1.1mm stub nib, the last pen my parents gave me while my Dad was alive. I bought the Regal 82 William pen in his honor and memory. 

Posted Image

1. Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller

2. Pilot 823

3. Montblanc 146 calligraphy

4. Montblanc Francois I

5. Platinum 3776

IMG_1300.thumb.JPG.bde49f874dd5c2064636c001d1722ae5.JPG

I don't have a whole lot of great pens (yet?), but for pure writing experience, I'd have to say the following:

1. TWSBI 580 Diamond EF
  2. TWSBI ECO EF
  3. Pilot Metropolitain F
  4. LAMY Safari EF
  5. Hmmmmmm...I'm gonna' have to go with Platinum Preppy F

I have to say, the Wing-Sung 601 is pretty much a tie with #5 though.

I'm interpreting this as what-five-pens-do-I-grab-to-write-more-than-any-others.

Which actually makes this list probably a bit boring and one-dimensional, as I have other pens relegated to specific but rarer purposes.

1. Pilot Vanishing Point F

2. Sailor 1911 F

3. Sailor 1911 MF

4. M and K Pelikan Senator F 

5. Diplomat Magnum but I have so many strewn about the car and travel bags that the nib width runs the gamut from EF to B and I never care as long as the pen writes

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 5/26/2022 at 3:34 AM, Misfit said:

Retro 51 Ombré Blue Lagoon with 1.1mm stub nib, the last pen my parents gave me while my Dad was alive. I bought the Regal 82 William pen in his honor and memory. 

That's awesome - do you have a picture?

Festina lente

On 5/30/2022 at 4:00 PM, essayfaire said:

That's awesome - do you have a picture?

Here is a photo of the Retro 51 Ombré Blue Lagoon that you can get at Goldspot, along with the Regal 82 William that comes from Jet Pens, but not in the color I got. It’s on their last chance list. 

The Retro 51 Blue Lagoon is inspired by the geothermal spa in Iceland.   If I had to have 5 favorites of only modern pens, I’d replace the vintage Esterbrook with the Franklin-Christoph model 31 in Italian Ice. 

large.B7427C31-17A3-42A7-8991-6A4574695321.jpeg.abf9c449670150df75da075efc2e7ec9.jpeg

Posted Image

6 hours ago, Misfit said:

Here is a photo of the Retro 51 Ombré Blue Lagoon that you can get at Goldspot, along with the Regal 82 William that comes from Jet Pens, but not in the color I got. It’s on their last chance list. 

The Retro 51 Blue Lagoon is inspired by the geothermal spa in Iceland.   If I had to have 5 favorites of only modern pens, I’d replace the vintage Esterbrook with the Franklin-Christoph model 31 in Italian Ice. 

large.B7427C31-17A3-42A7-8991-6A4574695321.jpeg.abf9c449670150df75da075efc2e7ec9.jpeg

Very nice.  I love the backstory - have you been to Iceland? If I ever feel safe traveling again that is on my list. A geothermal spa sounds just like what I need.

I have some Retro51 rollerballs (the typewriter, the Beethoven) and the mother-of-pearl mechanical pencil, but I've been afraid I wouldn't care for the nibs on the fountain pens as  fountain pens aren't their main focus.

Festina lente

My best is my Monterosa 042 with an oblique medium steel nib.

2nd best a Sailor Pro Gear in Fine.

3rd my Waterman 55 EF flex.

4rd, a Meisterstuck 149 that I got a Naginata Concord nib job for.

5th a MB 134 oblique broad.

Sailor KoP

Hakase (with Pilot #15)

Namiki Yukari Royale #20

Parker Duofold Centennial

Pelikan M1000

9 hours ago, essayfaire said:

Very nice.  I love the backstory - have you been to Iceland? If I ever feel safe traveling again that is on my list. A geothermal spa sounds just like what I need.

I have some Retro51 rollerballs (the typewriter, the Beethoven) and the mother-of-pearl mechanical pencil, but I've been afraid I wouldn't care for the nibs on the fountain pens as  fountain pens aren't their main focus.

Their 1.1mm stub nibs are wonderful. 

Posted Image

In no particular order…

Sheaffer Snorkel Statesman (Medium)

Pelikan M405 (Extra Fine)

Ranga 9B Giant (Fine)

Lamy 2000 (Extra Fine)

Pilot Custom Heritage 912 (WA - Waverly)

Pen(s) in Rotation:

Majohn A1 (Extra-Fine) - Diamine Denim

Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz (Fine) - Iroshizuku Yama-budo

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint - Lamy Black Medium Refilll

13 hours ago, Misfit said:

Their 1.1mm stub nibs are wonderful. 

I will keep that in mind next time they introduce a design to which I am partial!

Festina lente

OFF TOPIC but hey, Iceland is a fantastic place to travel. Every Icelander has stories to tell, about ten percent of them are published authors and at a guess equally as many are musicians... I spent 3 weeks there, wish it had been more. And they are crazy; licorice and chili pepper are the two best selling ice creams. And you should see, on a day when the rain is pelting down, there's still a queue for ice cream. Crazy or what?

But I couldn't find any fountain pens in Reykjavik...

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

10 hours ago, essayfaire said:

I will keep that in mind next time they introduce a design to which I am partial!

They are nice 1.1mm stub nibs. Truly. By the way, I have not been to Iceland. I’ve seen TV shows featuring the landscape, so if I had the money, means and time I’d like to visit there.  

Posted Image

@amk thank you for sharing your adventures in Iceland. Pity no fountain pens were found in the capitol city. 

Posted Image

1. Pilot Metropolitan with a <CM> nib. I know...cheap pen, but my favorite nib for my writing style. Probably saving me some $$$ that this nib does not appear to be available in "Better($$$)" pens.

2. Pilot 823, after a trip to Mark Bacas to alter the <M> nib to a <MF Cursive Italic>

3. Parker 51 ca. 1946 <F>. Given to me by my granda when I started the 4th Grade.. recently went to Ron Zorn for a refurbish.

4. Kaweco Brass Sport <F>

5. Montblanc 146 BB from the early 1990's... Also recently went to Bacas for some baby bottoming/skipping and modified to a Cursive Italic.

FWIW: I have a drawer full of various inks, but almost all of my currently inked (used) pens are filled with Diamine Oxford Blue. [Parker 51- Watermans Black]