Hello From Adelaide, Australia.

banistersmind

Hello Everyone!

I am a new fountain pen officianado from Adelaide, Australia. 

I have been considering taking up the fountain pen for some time and this past week, after visiting a pen boutique here, I decided to make the jump. 

I have never previously used a fountain pen and I have to admit that I was a little hesitant to begin. I didn't know anything about them but my visit to the store and my conversation with the helpful staff there was really encouraging. 

I decided to begin with an inexpensive instrument in order to get to grips with the idea of writing with one. I chose an 'Online' brand from Germany; 

https://www.online-pen.com/fountain-pen-antibacterial-be.safe

It has a medium nib with blue ink. It feels reasonably good in my hand. I have no idea if it is a good pen or not but I guess it is a starting place nonetheless.

I would like to invest in a quality writing instrument in the near future and I am looking across the various brands to see what appeals to me. 

In the meantime, I will visit the forum here, get the gist of the community and hopeful engage with some of you.

Thank you for the opportunity to become a member here. 

20220521_003123.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• banistersmind

• A Smug Dill

• mhwombat

• mizgeorge

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to FPN, mate.

Remember, you can bring your own pen to mark on and cast that all important vote when the sun rises next! :D

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

48 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Welcome to FPN, mate.

Remember, you can bring your own pen to mark on and cast that all important vote when the sun rises next! :D

Haha! Thanks for the tip - however I voted a couple of weeks ago, before I invested in my first fountain pen. 

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

Hello, and welcome :)

Thank you! Where are you chiming in from @mizgeorge?

large.FPNWelcome.png.691f2612d13f7c0621a0c62585df6f4c.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

2 hours ago, banistersmind said:

Thank you! Where are you chiming in from @mizgeorge?

Right now, in the Cotswolds (UK). I'll be heading to my other location late next month though.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

44 minutes ago, mizgeorge said:

Right now, in the Cotswolds (UK). I'll be heading to my other location late next month though.

Ahh lovely. I take you'll be summering somewhere by the water...?

Edited by banistersmind
I wanted to add a question mark to my post.

24 minutes ago, northstar said:

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Thank you @northstar Where are you posting from?

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Welcome fellow Australian! I visted your fair city a few years ago, picked up a hire car and drove to Robe. Happy memories!

From the West.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

50 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I visted your fair city a few years ago, picked up a hire car and drove to Robe. Happy memories!

I was “originally from” Adelaide, and lived there for ten years before relocating to Sydney.

Spoiler

As a young man back in the day, that was too long by nine-and-a-half years, if you asked me. :P

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

46 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was “originally from” Adelaide, and lived there for ten years before relocating to Sydney.

Hide contents

As a young man back in the day, that was too long by nine-and-a-half years, if you asked me. :P

:lticaptd:

I was there in Adelaide, Robe and back to Adelaide because I wanted to follow some of Jeffrey Smart's footsteps - to see and paint some of the locations he painted, to check out Hans Heysen's studio (and Nora's) and explore the state gallery - there's some really cool stuff in there! It was a wonderful trip - I painted so much I ran out of panels, bought more and they got so heavy I had to send them back road freight. The funny thing was the heat wave that arrived when I did, it was making front page news with all kinds of dire warnings - I live in wheatbelt Western Australia, where it's always that hot in summer, so couldn't see what the fuss was about. I loved Adelaide and the drive up through the hills is amazing!!! And I had Heysen's studio to myself for an hour cos there was some big cycle race clogging the roads and drawing all the crowds.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

55 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I loved Adelaide and the drive up through the hills is amazing!!! And I had Heysen's studio to myself for an hour cos there was some big cycle race clogging the roads and drawing all the crowds.

I lived and worked in Adelaide, back when it still hosted the Grand Prix. When I was in uni, that meant having to contend with the road blocks and diversions at exam time, and having to circumvent those to get to the exam hall off-campus. Then, when I was working, when the Grand Prix was happening, driving into work which usually took less than ten minutes (because I lived less than 4km from the CBD) would take north of 45 minutes when the roads off the northeastern corner of the city were blocked off for the race. I was called in on Grand Prix Sunday one year as a work emergency, even after I've given the best technical advice I could for troubleshooting over the phone. It took me 50 minutes to get to work, by which time the staff has moved to Plan B (i.e. manual processing); and, when I got there, I discovered that my advice was not followed, and the problem could have been resolved just by properly confirming the status lights on the devices, and “power-cycling” the devices as I would have instructed.

2 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Welcome fellow Australian! I visted your fair city a few years ago, picked up a hire car and drove to Robe. Happy memories!

From the West.

Fantastic! Robe is a beautiful seaside township! Best fish 'n chips, seafood and red wine take-away in South Australia.