La Couronne du Comte clearance/closeout sales

A Smug Dill

I see La Couronne du Comte is going through an exercise to cull some product lines or entire brands from its product catalogue. Some time in the past few hours, this blurb has been newly added to its Specials page:

La Couronne du Comte is always on the move. We see that the delivery times of suppliers for many items are increasing, that many orders are becoming more laborious for us and that our service level is under pressure as a result. We will adapt to this, and one of these adaptations is that we make choices in our range. This means that we remove a number of articles and brands from our range. It also means that we will focus more on what we are good at: the most beautiful products from the best brands, while providing excellent service. We are going to make these changes now and in the coming period and we are convinced that we will be of better service to you as a customer.

On our "Specials" page you will find the items that we are going to say goodbye to and that will be available while stocks last. Please note: all "Special" items cannot be exchanged or returned, sales for these items are final.

and most, if not all, of the items now listed there are now 30% off the ‘regular’ prices.

It goes without saying that some of the items have less remaining stock than others. For example, as far as I can tell, there are only two bottles each of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue with the ‘historic’ label and KWZ Ink Baltic Memories at this point, but four of KWZ Ink Warsaw Dreaming, and more of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black and Platinum Classic Ink Sepia Black. Based on my observations through having placed multiple orders in the past 24 hours, I'd say that if you put something in your cart and it gets through the checkout process alright, then it is actually in stock and ready for dispatch; the stock levels for those in-stock clearance items are updated in real time as soon as orders for them are confirmed (and paid for, I presume). For products listed with multiple options (selectable from drop-down lists in the respective product listings), as soon as a particular option for it is sold out, it gets greyed out.

I'll note that it appears to me not all clearance items are listed on the Specials page at this time. I'll wager that all KWZ Ink products are getting dropped, even though only specific inks are listed. So, you may have to browse around and hunt for other ‘hidden’ clearance items that are now also offered at 30% off.

Other product lines or brands that appear to be getting the cull, but this is nowhere near the complete list:

• Diplomat bottled inks
  • Faber-Castell (N.B. not GvFC) bottled inks
  • Manuscript bottled inks
  • Pebble Stationery Co. paper and leather products
  • Pelikan (ilo and Twist) fountain pens in the ‘school pens’ category (or just on the low end of the range)
  • Platinum bottled inks, except Carbon Black
  • Super5 inks and pens
  • Waterman bottled inks

Some items are still being added as I composed this post, it seems. Super5 and Waterman bottled inks weren't there when I started.

Oh, before I forget, as of two(?) days ago LCdC has implemented a strict requirement for minimum order value (after discounts, and before shipping charges are added) of €50. The web shop application platform will not let you proceed if the order does not satisfy that condition.

Edited by A Smug Dill
Added mention of Super5

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• lascosas

• DvdRiet

• AmandaW

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

Oh, before I forget, as of two(?) days ago LCdC has implemented a strict requirement for minimum order value (after discounts, and before shipping charges are added) of €50. The web shop application platform will not let you proceed if the order does not satisfy that condition.

Wait a minute, you mean that there is now a minimum order value *period* and not just a minimum for free shipping??

Edit: Just read the notice and it clearly states it is due to excessive costs. I wonder if more shops are going to start doing the same... 🤔

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

And they keep adding things...

3 Narwhals each €26.03 if you aren't paying EU taxes, and lots of Noodler's ink.

57 minutes ago, lascosas said:

3 Narwhals each €26.03 if you aren't paying EU taxes, and lots of Noodler's ink.

Nice spotting of the Warhal pens. 👏

I saw last night in the tea leaves that Noodler's Ink will be dropped from the catalogue, too, but at that point the 30% off hasn't been applied to the prices of the remaining stock yet. Thank you for the update.

… Ah, I see someone has jumped on that single bottle of El Lawrence! Not sure if I'm bother with the bottle of Legal Blue; I was hoping that someday LCdC can get in another bottle of X-Feather Blue for me, but now it's clear that's not going to happen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

11 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

Edit: Just read the notice and it clearly states it is due to excessive costs. I wonder if more shops are going to start doing the same... 🤔

Not sure, but in this instance it seems the store is angry with all of us cos of one person in the other recent thread. :(

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Fortunately, I don't need anything from that page. 

I see that they are dropping my favorite Serenity Blue. But again, fortunately, I still have enough from my last buy. 

2 minutes ago, mke said:

Fortunately, I don't need anything from that page.

I don't either, but couldn't pass up that beautiful Caran d'Ache pencil lead holder, which wasn't even on my radar at all until I saw it on that page. Of course, now that there's a €50 minimum before the system will even accept my order, I just had to add more inks until I got there…

18 hours ago, DvdRiet said:

minimum for free shipping

€100

Add lightness and simplicate.

1 minute ago, Karmachanic said:

€100

Saw that, too. If I'm not mistaken, it used to be €50 (but I could very easily be mistaken!), while quite a few of the others were already at €100. 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

I was hoping to add other colors to the first couple of Super5 inks and pens I had purchased a while ago, after seeing Dill mention it in the list, but it was all sold out by the time I got there. :( 

I put together a cart to see what it would be by the time the €50 is reached, then the DHL shipping to here, then to Aus$. Ouch. Too much for me.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

By the way, those Lovi cards of wooden animals to put together are really super cute! I've sent a few to pens pals (there's a postcard format printed on the back) and I have the little dragonfly myself. He sits next to the potted plants I have on top of a small filing cabinet that I have in my office. 

Ha! Managed to score two Super5 inks and pens after all just now. I'll have to get the others that I'm missing somewhere else at some point, but at least these two are in the bag for a tidy little discount! :)

9 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Managed to score two Super5 inks and pens after all just now.

Good to hear! I saw the Super5 inks before they were marked for culling, but because at the time there was nothing draw my particular attention to them, I didn't look closely at which, or how many, colours were in stock and how many were just placeholders.

Only a handful of products that I was mildly interested in seem to have disappeared from the Specials page (and not by my doing).

Oh, and I noticed some new stuff has just been added in the past hour.

11 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I noticed some new stuff has just been added in the past hour.

A whole bunch of Noodler's inks were added literally as I was shopping, not more than an hour ago. And I think I was more too early than too late with the Super5 stuff yesterday, as I thought they said they were not in stock when I clicked. (But I could easily be confused with something else, also because I was looking for *all* of the colors except for the two I already have.)

8 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

A whole bunch of Noodler's inks were added literally as I was shopping, not more than an hour ago.

Oh? I don't see them, other than what was added at least ten hours ago (as that was when @lascosas reported their appearance earlier in this thread). In one of my browsers, select colours have been sitting in my shopping cart, so that I can keep an eye on which ones are getting sold and how many remain. Only El Lawrence seems to have sold out since that time; and I guess there was only one bottle of it to begin with.

2 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Oh? I don't see them, other than what was added at least ten hours ago (as that was when @lascosas reported their appearance earlier in this thread). In one of my browsers, select colours have been sitting in my shopping cart, so that I can keep an eye on which ones are getting sold and how many remain. Only El Lawrence seems to have sold out since that time; and I guess there was only one bottle of it to begin with.

Ah, may have been that my browser didn't update or something like that. I thought I only saw one or two and then suddenly when I popped back after ordering the Super5 stuff, there were loads of them.