Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Greetings From Connecticut in the USA

JohnVFerrigno

Hello everyone! I am brand new to fountain pens. In fact, I don't even own one yet (although I have two coming in the mail the next few days, a Pilot Metropolitan and a Lamy Safari.)

I thought I would tell the story of what brought me here. My wife is an amazing woman who means the world to me. She has self esteem issues and over the course of our 17 years together, has often said "I don't know why you love me so much." I decided I would turn that into a year long project: every day, starting last Christmas, I write down a reason I love her. I was going to write it all out in a notebook and on Christmas this year, give it to her, a handwritten journal of 365 reasons I love her.

I wanted it to be nice, so I started investigating better pens than the usual disposable ballpoints I use. I never owned a fountain pen before, but thought it would be nice to try that. So I ordered a couple of starter pens and a course book on cursive handwriting (my handwriting is awful at the moment.) My hope is to have a nicely written journal for her on Christmas. (Currently all the entries are just in a file on Evernote, I need to write them all out when my penmanship gets better lol)

While looking at fountain pen information, I fell down a rabbit hole and got very interested in them, which lead me here.

Looking forward to learning more about fountain pens, ink, and all the other stuff everyone here is into!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahl

• Recursion

• Rebbe

• JohnVFerrigno

What a wonderful story, John! :)  Welcome to FPN!  In case you haven't discovered yet, you won't want just any notebook - some don't work well with fountain pen ink. :)  But you've come to the right place for that.  Best wishes on completing your project.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

large.FPNWelcome.png.691f2612d13f7c0621a0c62585df6f4c.png

Children think adults have all the freedom and adults think children have
all the freedom.

What a great reason to get your first pens! Welcome John - your wife's a very lucky lady :)

large.InkySeas.jpg.9e55d2f1eb4ae5d24f29c5b9459aa60d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

6 hours ago, LizEF said:

What a wonderful story, John! :)  Welcome to FPN!  In case you haven't discovered yet, you won't want just any notebook - some don't work well with fountain pen ink. :)  But you've come to the right place for that.  Best wishes on completing your project.

Yes, I had to look into a different journal. But thanks for the heads up!

A warm welcome to you, John. What a lovely introduction.

:W2FPN:

That's some darn fine husbanding you're doing there!

Welcome to the forums, and howdy from Texas. 

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein.

flying-letter-exc.png

:W2FPN:

"Crafting a novel on cotton rag paper with an antique fountain pen is a sensuously rebellious act against modernity." – Khang Kijarro Nguyen

HELLO FROM PHIPPSBURG, MAINE

Favorite fountain pen, these days, is Sailor 911.

i welcome conversation.

Kind regards.

welcome.gif

On 5/21/2022 at 1:02 PM, eclectic2316 said:

HELLO FROM PHIPPSBURG, MAINE

Favorite fountain pen, these days, is Sailor 911.

i welcome conversation.

Kind regards.

What is it about that pen that puts it above the rest for you?