The Elusive Lamy Lady Rosenthal Fountain Pen

RustyPen

Apparently Rosenthal, the German porcelain company, which made the barrel for this Lamy pen went out of business over 10 years ago. It is called a Lady because it doesn't have a clip on the cap, instead there are anti-roll balls. The physical size of the pen does suit a mans hand, not just that of a lady. Be curious to know if there are others out there who also have this pen. Attached are some links to how the pen looks.

Lamy Lady Rosenthal

Lamy Lady Rosenthal Nib

The barrel design is quite Art-Deco and the writing action of the nib is buttery smooth. My pen had lost the anti-roll ball from the cap, Lamy repaired it for free this year but said very few spare parts remain, certainly no nibs or other important parts.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyPen

• Black Spot

• Jan Mathijs Rijck

• Glenn-SC

I bought one years ago and gave it away as a gift. I’ve not heard of it since. Very nice looking pens. 

I've been playing Find The Lady for a few years now, but with very little luck. They used to pop up on Ebay.de  from time to time, but I've never managed to snag one.

John

The pen writes beautifully. If it comes to selling, the pen is already sufficiently rare as well as being of very high quality that I would not sell for less than 10,000 euro. Otherwise it will be handed to my great-grandchildren. By that time, fountain pens will be more than rare.

I had a blue one - bought back when they came out. Great writer but heavy. I gave it away a few years ago to someone who liked the look of it. 

I like that pen, I would have a clip added. I like clips. 

4 hours ago, Chandon said:

I had a blue one - bought back when they came out. Great writer but heavy. I gave it away a few years ago to someone who liked the look of it. 

I personally like the slight bit of minimal heft, works for me. Horses for courses

6 hours ago, Black Spot said:

I like that pen, I would have a clip added. I like clips. 

If you have the design and engineering skill you could, but the cap would still not post on the barrel.

1 hour ago, RustyPen said:

If you have the design and engineering skill you could, but the cap would still not post on the barrel.

I could live with that, I do not post my caps any way. Don't have the pen so its a moot point...for now.

7 minutes ago, Black Spot said:

I could live with that, I do not post my caps any way. Don't have the pen so its a moot point...for now.

Enjoy the hunt if you want one. They are, by all accounts, as rare as hen's teeth these days.

21 minutes ago, RustyPen said:

Enjoy the hunt if you want one. They are, by all accounts, as rare as hen's teeth these days.

I enjoy the hunt, sometimes more than getting the pen, then you have the thing then what ? You have to start hunting some other pen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, RustyPen said:

Apparently Rosenthal, the German porcelain company, which made the barrel for this Lamy pen went out of business over 10 years ago.  (…)

The barrel design is quite Art-Deco and the writing action of the nib is buttery smooth. My pen had lost the anti-roll ball from the cap, Lamy repaired it for free this year but said very few spare parts remain, certainly no nibs or other important parts.

Although Rosenthal went bankrupt in 2010, it was taken over by a new family of owners and continues to produce to this day. Unfortunately, production of the Lamy Lady ended around the time of the takeover.

Incidentally, the nib was the same as in the Lamy Persona, the "predecessor" of the Lamy Imporium.

Personally, I would associate the design more with the "Bauhaus", in the tradition of Gropius, or, especially here with the Lamy Lady, with the inspiration of the work of Piet Mondrian. I'm anything but an arts expert though.….

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:00 PM, RustyPen said:

You can get one, but prices are skyrocketing. I became interested in the Lamy Lady three years ago, when it was still €230-250, which wasn't very much higher than the last new price. Now you can't get anything for less than 300€.

You will be forgiven that you cannot, but never more that you do not want to.

11 hours ago, Jan Mathijs Rijck said:

You can get one, but prices are skyrocketing. I became interested in the Lamy Lady three years ago, when it was still €230-250, which wasn't very much higher than the last new price. Now you can't get anything for less than 300€.

Thanks for the info in both your comments. Good luck also finding a Lamy Persona these days. I think you are correct, the nib looks identical. 

• 3 months later...

I joined the Fountain Pen Network this evening to say that I am the proud owner of a Lamy Lady Rosenthal blue fountain pen (fine) which I purchased brand new in 1999 from City Organiser, London. I also managed to acquire an unused, matching rollerball several years' back on e-bay before it became more of a rarity as well. I have the Lamy quality cards for both and they take 

pride of place in my Lamy pen collection. I have used neither thus far, but I view them occasionally to admire the quality workmanship that went into the making of these writing instruments. A joy to own both.

Edited by TUQ
Adding/removing text.

large.IMG_8635.jpg.f74dddf55c36bd73a6b348e8e82e0396.jpglarge.IMG_8627.jpg.0ce2dff23db658a28394ee3a05a7f489.jpg

Here are the images.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks for the photos. A lovely pen, indeed. Take good care of both. 

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.