What pen did I buy? (Please help with pen ID)

Paul-in-SF

I don't have this in my hands yet, in fact it will be at least a couple of weeks, since it is coming from the UK, but I couldn't wait that long to ask for help. Nothing individually about the pen is unusual for Parker, except the material. It is a button filler, it has Parker on the clip, it has Parker Fountain Pen 14K and Canada on the nib, and as far as I can see from the photos I don't see any barrel or cap imprints, or any other identifying marks. I don't know the size (I suspect on the small side, around 125 mm, but that's just a guess from the proportions). 

Check it out, and tell me what you think.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul-in-SF

• theredfalcon

• Glenn-SC

• dipper

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, duh, I thought "moderne" in the listing title was just descriptive. I only thought to check that out for a model name after I had posted, and that's the model name. Even this material is pictured, in the first grouping. It is, I think, one of the most attractive of the materials pictured (as far as one can tell from some rather dark photos); I think they may have called it "cream and blue marble." Apparently the Moderne is the same as the Duette Jr. (so it looks like I was right about the small size) but made in Canada. 

Here's the Parker Penography page:  http://parkercollector.com/duette.html

2 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I only thought to check that out for a model name after I had posted

Good to see that I am not the only one with that difficulty 😃😃.

( I once went for over a year believing that the wwweb had zero information on a topic until a key search word was found by pure lucky accident - "viscoelasticity"!)

Your Parker is a beautiful colour pattern. Better than any pictured on the parkercollector page.

I have a Duette Sr FP and Pencil set in Mahogany and White. I also have a Waterman (also a “thrift-time” pen) in the same material.

5 hours ago, dipper said:

Your Parker is a beautiful colour pattern. Better than any pictured on the parkercollector page.

Thanks. I think it's the 6th one down in the first set of pens shown, but I find those photos a bit muddy so it doesn't show up very well there. 

It's a good looking pen, and I did take a look at the listing at the time, but as it needed servicing and the nib was (typically) on the thin side for me, I passed....

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

43 minutes ago, theredfalcon said:

Believe this is the Moderne colour called "Bronze & Blue".

That's certainly possible, although it doesn't mention the white streaks. Do you know of anywhere the colors are enumerated? (I doubt there is such a thing, considering the place these pens had in the Parker hierarchy, even if they did help keep the doors open.) Thanks. 

edited to add: I'm going to call it "Bronze, blue and white" in my personal pen database, which is just descriptive and not intended to contain the official color name unless I happen to know it. 

Well........was having problems getting my phone (camera) & computer to talk to each other last night. Have got them to co-operate now 😉 so below is a photo of an English brochure from around 1934. Think Parker England were only getting a limited number of colours from Canada so yours will be model number 421 Bronze & Blue. Think they've got the wrong label on the Moderne pencil as it looks like the Onyx pattern rather than the Bronze & Blue one & they've used a drawing of a Black Duofold instead of the Black Premiere pen!  Think I've got examples of all the colours below, as pens, apart from the Premiere Red Onyx where I've only got the pencil.

20220518_202348.thumb.jpg.10a703afc96c4a57dae76ccdef4854a8.jpg

Thanks, interesting ad. The 431 seems to have some design differences from the other two Modernes shown, including being shorter. That seems odd to me.

Anyway, I would call the depiction of the 421 a good reproduction of the material using only a black and white line drawing.

Yes, the 431 shown in the brochure is a drawing of a Duofold rather than a Moderne! Photo isn't really clear enough but imprint is different & middle of it says Parker Duofold. Guess it wasn't worth the time/expense to draw a plain black Moderne when they already had drawing of a plain black Duofold. 😄

Thanks to everyone who could point to what the pen is, and to Paul-in-SF who posted the link showing what the pen looked like.  

That is a really attractive pen, BTW.  Very different from anything I'd ever seen before.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have this same model of pen. It is a smaller pen but a lovely writer. It belonged to a friends father. The father died and my friend gave it to me as i was the only person he knew that used fountain pens. I had it re-sacced and it works a treat.

The pen arrived today from the UK. The material is as lovely as I thought it would be, with notable chatoyance in the bronze color. However, I have to hold it fairly close to my face to be able to appreciate it fully, because it is a smaaaall pen. 116 mm long capped, and 12 mm diameter at the cap band. I can write with it perfectly well when it is posted, but without posting it sort of disappears in my hand. I'm still cleaning it, so I don't know how it writes yet, but the nib looks promising.