What inks are you using in 2022

The_Beginner

Hiya guys, I was wondering as summer rolls in what inks have you been using lately. I personally have been using the following:

1. Diamine Twilight

2.  Pilot Yana Budo

3. Diamine Ancient copper 

4. Diamine Earl Grey( happy they made this from our input)

5. Diamine Yellow Sunshine (very bright yellow, it just pops)

6. Pilot Shin-kai

I'm curious to see what you guys have been using and if you would recommend one highly to try, be it in your list or not!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The_Beginner

• inkstainedruth

• Runnin_Ute

• dragondazd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Platinum Carbon Black, as always when there is something I want to be as completely waterproof as one can make it writing with a fountain pen. Sailor Kiwaguro, because I was doing this. Noodler's Ink Zhivago, Rohrer & Klingner Sepia, and Pennonia Tihanyi Lila. Monteverde Horizon Blue, Visconti Blue, and Waterman Serenity Blue. Pilot Iroshizuku Syo-ro. Whatever I did in testing, experiments, and writing samples does not even come near depleting the reservoirs in those pens, and so they're the ones I'm likely to just grab and use in the meantime. Noodler's Ink X-Feather (black), which is in a cheap Moonman 80 mini-e pocket pen I carry around often, and took with me to cast my vote in the federal election today.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I've used a lot of sailor Yama dori, pilot Yama budo, RO dragon's night, diamine midnight so far this year. I expect to use more sailor nekoyanagi going forward.

This year I also "discovered" monarca Cardona, kwz honey, and taccia sabimidori. Bottles may be in my future.

Today its been a variety:

Noodlers Pasternak, in a Noodler's FPC, flex nib -- morning pages journal.

Noodler's Violet, in the Monteverde Strata, B nib -- random notes.

Monteverde Ocean Noir, in a Sheaffer school pen F(?) nib -- random notes.

Sailor Souboku, in the Pilot Falcon, soft F nib -- signing in and filling out my primary ballot today (one of the poll workers tried to hand me a BP because she was afraid the ink might smear if the ballot got wet, but I assured her that I had picked that ink SPECIFICALLY... :D).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 hour ago, dragondazd said:

I've used a lot of sailor Yama dori, pilot Yama budo, RO dragon's night, diamine midnight so far this year. I expect to use more sailor nekoyanagi going forward.

This year I also "discovered" monarca Cardona, kwz honey, and taccia sabimidori. Bottles may be in my future.

How does Midnight compare to twlight?

40 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Today its been a variety:

Noodlers Pasternak, in a Noodler's FPC, flex nib -- morning pages journal.

Noodler's Violet, in the Monteverde Strata, B nib -- random notes.

Monteverde Ocean Noir, in a Sheaffer school pen F(?) nib -- random notes.

Sailor Souboku, in the Pilot Falcon, soft F nib -- signing in and filling out my primary ballot today (one of the poll workers tried to hand me a BP because she was afraid the ink might smear if the ballot got wet, but I assured her that I had picked that ink SPECIFICALLY... :D).

I heard that monteverde takes a while to dry is this true.

9 minutes ago, The_Beginner said:

How does Midnight compare to twlight?

I haven't used twilight in a long time because I did not like the color--it struck me as "dirty". Midnight is a dark blue with a red sheen whereas twilight is distinctly green-tinged. I think they behaved pretty similarly aside from color. 

Monteverde: I haven't noticed especially long dry times. Probably depends.on the ink.

Noodler's Red-Black

Noodler's Air Corp Blue-Black

Parker Quink Blue

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black

Diamine Ancient Copper

I'm using Pilot Namiki Blue-black for my work notes (and general messing around with my new pen), Noodler's red-black for personal wiritng and Noodler's Black on my carry pen for taking notes and such.

I have plenty other pens inked but not being used as much.

34 minutes ago, The_Beginner said:

I heard that monteverde takes a while to dry is this true.

Well, I've only used the ink a little bit, and it doesn't take NEARLY as long to dry as Kobe Suma Beach Blue (and that's on the crummy absorbent  Piccadilly sketch pad paper... :o).  I did really like Mulberry Noir and Horizon Blue, and don't remember either being super slow to dry.  When I tried Rose Noir, I didn't like the color; and it's been so long since I tried Olivine that I just don't remember at this point.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is what I have inked and with what today. Paper is a Apica CD11 notebook

16528435548123266102009703381517.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

😮 I have been looking for a good solid yellow and i think you just helped me find a nice one!

Blacks: Platinum Carbon, Pilot Black, Robert Oster Motor Oil

Browns: R&K Kastanienbraun, Platinum Brown (the one in the cartridges - I needed some empty carts as spares - so bought a 2/pack of these to use and save. I don't know if it's available in bottles), J Herbin Terre de Feu, Diamine Chocolate Brown, Diamine Dark Brown

Greens: Diamine Safari, Sailor Waka-uguisi

Red: R&K Alt-bordeaux

Blues & greys: J Herbin Vert de Gris, Diamine Prussian Blue, Robert Oster Chicago (from a sample - it's still interviewing pens)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Diamine Safari is an amazing green! Have you tried Oxblood for a nice rich red?

40 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

Blacks: Platinum Carbon, Pilot Black, Robert Oster Motor Oil

Browns: R&K Kastanienbraun, Platinum Brown (the one in the cartridges - I needed some empty carts as spares - so bought a 2/pack of these to use and save. I don't know if it's available in bottles), J Herbin Terre de Feu, Diamine Chocolate Brown, Diamine Dark Brown

Greens: Diamine Safari, Sailor Waka-uguisi

Red: R&K Alt-bordeaux

Blues & greys: J Herbin Vert de Gris, Diamine Prussian Blue, Robert Oster Chicago (from a sample - it's still interviewing pens)

11 hours ago, The_Beginner said:

😮 I have been looking for a good solid yellow and i think you just helped me find a nice one!

Yeah, me too -- KWZI El Dorado looks nice!  

Kobe Taisanji Yellow is pretty nice too, and a tad yellower.  I got it as a sample because when I got the Sailor 1911S Wicked Witch and 1911S Loch Ness Pens, I needed (at least for the first year, while the pens were under warranty) to use ONLY Sailor-made inks in them (because of the special coating on the nibs).  And I just thought "Why is the Wicked Witch pen PURPLE?  In The Wizard of Oz she ruled over the Winkies -- and their color choice was yellow (the way the Munchkins liked blue).  And my WW pen has the "music" nib -- so I needed something that would look good coming out of that wide a nib as well AND be legible on the page.

I use the El Dorado almost exclusively in the M400 White Tortoise with its juicy B nib. Although it does get Edelstein Olivine on occasion.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

29 minutes ago, Runnin_Ute said:

I use the El Dorado almost exclusively in the M400 White Tortoise with its juicy B nib. Although it does get Edelstein Olivine on occasion.

Can i be a prude and ask to see how it writes with a broad?