NEW Delta for 2022!

cjabbott

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

Delta Don Quijote (BP or FP, green pref.)

other Delta Indigenous People

(M nibs or wider preferred)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjabbott

• jchch1950

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

Agreed.  MSRP on Yafa’s site was almost $1,600.  

I’d be curious to hear thoughts on price and style.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

The celluloid is very attractive--the curvy body not so much. I like the idea of the removable weight at the back, so the writer can choose which balance is wanted.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

😵 the price, and it’s marked down some. Attractive pen, but over $1,000.  Good luck new Delta. 

Posted Image

19 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Good luck new Delta.

I also wish Delta good luck, since it seems the brand had (and still has) many fans, who mourned its exit from the scene some years ago. If someone has gone to the trouble of necromancy to resurrect the brand, then obviously fans of the brand would be targeted to recoup some of the cost or ‘debt’ in such black magic.

From what I've observed — and I only look casually, since I'm not particularly attached to any brands with perhaps glorious, perhaps chequered history but have gone broke or otherwise went away — resurrection of old brands by new owners is not usually in the spirit of there is heritage that deserve to be preserved, and merit of old that ought to be made accessible to a new wave or generation of hobbyists, but what's ‘worth’ the exercise is that there are wallets that can be tapped and money bags to be squeezed on account of cashed-up fans' nostalgia. I haven't seen any resurrected brand try to make a comeback, and vie to get back into the top tier of pens in hobbyists' regard, just by being competitive in the current landscape.

Edit:

Oh, so it seems it's the previous owner of Delta reacquiring the brand and trying to resurrect it. Still, I don't think he thinks Delta is coming back from a disadvantage, and trying to win the hearts, minds, and spend of the current wave of hobbyists, to fight its way through just being better yet accessible (in pricing and otherwise) compared to other offerings in the current market; in other words, by being unapologetically competitive and trying to claw market share from other brands.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It seems I’m not alone in my first reactions! I love the material (my first thought was “leftover Enrico Caruso?”) I even think the optional weight was a cool idea. The design and price both leave me cold and disappointed. The pen looks like they took the cap and barrel from two different prototypes and joined them.  

I’m a big Delta fan. I’ve been looking forward to this. In my opinion, Delta went wrong originally with increasingly odd designs that they wanted more and more money for. Now, they return with an even weirder design at even higher prices.

WANTED:

Delta Indios (FP or BP)

Delta Inuit (FP or BP)

3 minutes ago, jchch1950 said:

The new Delta company will repair the old Delta Pens?

Not under warranty, or free-of-charge as a policy, if the Delta pen company has officially shut its doors and did not exist in the intervening years, I presume.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The important thing is to find someone that some one can make the repairs. I'm willing to pay for them .

On 5/19/2022 at 10:00 PM, A Smug Dill said:

Not under warranty, or free-of-charge as a policy, if the Delta pen company has officially shut its doors and did not exist in the intervening years, I presume.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems Nino Marino has bought back name, machines, materials and all. Delta wasn't Nino Marino alone though.

A lot of Delta has gone into Leonardo.

The pen itself doesn't do much for me, wonderful material no doubt, and probably Delta had stock, but that's not enough.

I see a lot of Maiora's "mistakes" in this pen, complicated form (step down, metal threading, a cap that does not quite look right on the rest of the pen), excessive price, excessive embellishment.

Perhaps this is an initial excercise of (questionable) "style".

Maiora has not done all ugly pens, some of their ebonite pens look rather nice (and DolceVita reminiscent).

I suspend judgment for the time being, let's see what comes up next.

Unless they tame those prices they are not going to have an easy life, though.

I agree with @sansenri about the "Delta" branded pens from Maiori. I think it is Nino Marino's worst effort to date. The pens in his "signature" series and the Alpha K's are really nice aesthetically, IMO. They are tasteful, seem well-made and the three I have write beautifully. However, they are large for everyday carry, like Leonardo's MZ Grandes.

The one referenced in the OP uses a beautiful celluloid, but that is the only thing I like about it.

Leonardo's MM "DNA," which uses the classic orange resin of the DolceVita, is even less blingy than the original. It is also less pricey, especially with a steel nib. I have ordered one. The Momento Magico is a practical size for an everyday carry for me. 

David

• 2 weeks later...

I was never a fan of Delta and sold my only model, the Nettuno, without regret, since it was too clunky for me. I do appreciate the Dolce Vita line, which is much imitated.

Leonardo pens are less clunky, more stylish, and I like them better. But apart from my MZ Positano, I don’t see the need to own more. Don’t know why - maybe just not as classic as Aurora?

When reinvented brands are priced higher than the still available originals, I don’t quite get the point.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang