Urushi Question: Urushi and Desert Southwest Climate

rookie85

Hi All, I'm considering my first urushi piece. I've done a lot of reading about how to care for Urushi. I understand urushi should not be subjected to extreme temperature changes and very dry/hot conditions. I live in the Las Vegas where the house can get as dry as 10% humidity. For those of you who live in a similar climate and have urushi have you had any issues? Do you use a humidifier?

Appreciate your insight. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• wtlh

• Poision Pen

• Number99

Viva Las Vegas Rookie85,

While I do not have technical information, I have personal experience living in Vegas for ten years.  A friend sent me an expensive Urushi tray from Japan to Vegas; it cracked in a few years due to shrinkage, but I think this was mainly due to the sub material (wood or bamboo).  There was no damage to the Urushi finish.  I do not know how ebonite with Urushi finish reacts with Vegas heat.  Hope this info was useful.

Go Golden Knights!

Urushi may not fair well in very dry climates. Can always store the pens in a humidor when not in use. 

• 1 month later...

I live in the Phoenix area. For what it's worth I have about a dozen urushi pens and have never had any problems, though I only have a couple older than 10 years or so.  I keep them in a wooden case (not humidified) and out of direct sunlight.  It never really occurred to me that I might have any issues--I guess I have something new to be paranoid about now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

low humidity itself , sure , is not friendly to Urushi, actually not friendly to any natural Lacquering but its likely not going to hurt the finishing so long its been properly cured ( its not drying , for the worth of it natural lacquer need to be cured in fairly humid and warm , closer to hot condition ) , but hot and dry together might be a issue which will induce cracking , this happen with all lacquer-ware , so just keep it away from the heat ( and preferably from the sun also ) 

• 1 month later...

Humidity or dryness only really affects the substrate, i.e. the base material urushi is painted on.  Urushi itself is non-permeatable, thus moisture does not affect the finish itself. 

Nevertheless if the substrate itself expands or shrinks due to moisture, it will cause the urushi finish to crack.

Urushi which peels off the substrate are usually due to poor workmanship at the time of application.  Properly applied and cured urushi should adhere to the substrate extremely well and should not peel off.

If you are purchasing a metal pen with urushi finish, then I would say it should not be affected by dryness or moisture at all.

One thing you do have to take care of is the desert sun.  Urushi will deteriorate under light, especially the UV spectrum.  Red urushi suffers the most while black suffers the least.  Regardless, extended exposure to sun light or any strong natural light (even inside a room) will cause irreversible damage to all urushi.  They can lose their luster quite quickly and start to show cracks.  Once that happens the damage is done and the restoring process involves removing the entire damaged layers and reapplying new layers --- i.e. more expensive than buying a new pen.

• 1 month later...

I have only heard about the damaging effects of UV rays. I have not read anywhere about humidity levels being an issue. But that's all I know of. Oh, and dropping. Don't drop them.🤣

Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Long Cigar, standard fine two tone nib/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Piccolo, soft medium stub in two tone/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Neo Standard, medium cursive italic/ Sailor Pro Gear fine/ Sailor Pro Gear medium cursive italic/ Pelikan M800 extra fine/ 1954 Monte Rosa medium left oblique/ Nakaya Naka-ai, medium left oblique, Heki-Tamenuri/Sailor Realo ll, medium left oblique/ Cross Townsend “Year Of The Rooster” medium/ Pilot Vanishing Point, fine.

The Pilot Fountain Pen web page has the following notes and explanations

https://www.pilot.co.jp/support/fountain/post_33.html

漆・蒔絵製品

漆(蒔絵)製品は、乾燥と紫外線の影響を受けると色褪せをしますので、ご使用後は光に当たらない場所で保管ください。

お手入れは、柔らかい布で乾拭きしてください。

translation:

"Lacquer and Maki-e Products

Lacquer (maki-e) products will fade when exposed to dryness and ultraviolet rays, so please keep them out of the light after use.

To clean, wipe dry with a soft cloth."

This is a cautionary note for general hon-urushi itself, but after the lacquer product is shipped from the workshop and in the hands of the user, it undergoes a full-scale hardening reaction that takes several years to complete. (枯らし"withering").

The substrate is irrelevant as it is a reaction of the paint itself.

I have some Nakaya pens that I have had for about 10 years. I also live in Las Vegas. I just keep them in their pen kimonos when not in use and they seem to do well. I also have a Sailor King of Pen that is ebonite. It receives indirect sunlight sitting in my pen cup. I have noticed that the top part, exposed to light, has oxidized; the bottom looks brand new. I have a cloth that I purchased from Nibs.com that will polish it when I feel like it. 

I would add that I keep these pens inside my house; the temperature is usually 80ºF or lower. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.