Lightweight good quality UK FP Friendly paper

Mark from Yorkshire

I am looking for a nice A4 Sized or similar paper that is available easily in the uk for writing letters to my pen pals from this fine forum. 

I currently have lined refill type pads of Clairefontaine and Pukka pad. I also have a slightly undersized A4 plain pad of Rhodia No18 which is nice but want something that is the correct size that i can see through so I can put my guide sheets behind it. I will also consider a ruled pad preferably 5mm spacing just not refill type paper if that makes sense.

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark from Yorkshire

• Karmachanic

• Chimera01

• Ergative

Where are you sourcing your Tomoe River from? Looking on google it is currently like rocking horse (bleep) in the UK or Blood from a stone hens' teeth etc?

Cosmo Air?

Looks like an expensive Etsy purchase for loose Cosmo air sheets

I'm a fan of Three Candles and Basildon Bond, both of which I consider light weight and come with guide sheets attached to the pad. They come in A4 pada also have matched envelopes. Easier to get in your neck of the woods than the states :D HTH

5 hours ago, Ergative said:

This stuff is good:

Thank you!  I'll get a ream for Justin Case.

Add lightness and simplicate.

QConnect Bank paper, if it's still available.  Very light weight, FP friendly, available in reams.  I had a ream shipped to Oz a few years back, when it was still practical to do so.  Can't afford the extortionate postage charged now.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

The suggestion by @effrafax of Q-Connect bank paper is interesting. I see it is still available, and not at all expensive. I might try a ream, although I generally prefer heavier weight papers, but at this price..... 🤗

https://www.paperstone.co.uk/paper/copier-printer-paper/q-connect-a4-white-bank-white-paper-50gsm-ream-500-sheets/p-90726

On the topic of UK paper in general....

Some years ago my favoured UK made FP friendly paper (Conqueror wove smooth 100gsm) unexpectedly became FP unfriendly.

When I contacted the manufacturer ArjoWiggins they were happy to send me a sample pack of a couple of dozen A4 sheets of their papers for fountain pen friendliness testing, some of which I see are still listed on this page....

https://arjowigginscreativepapers.com/en/catalog/

There has been some turmoil and closures of paper mills in the UK since then. And their business focus is commercial print use, not fountain pen users.

I have been wondering if 2022 Conqueror papers are now FPfriendly again. (Though not lightweight as needed by @Mark from Yorkshire )

As a UK supply source, this company may be worth noting also.

https://conqueror-paper.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Thank you all I will give the printer type papers a miss, as my cross pens do not seem to like any printer paper, atthe moment the Century classic deos not like writing full stop but thats a whole other story. I am considering the Q connect bank paper, cosmo air Three candlesticks if can get A4

You could try GoodInkPressions? They're in Spain but they ship to the UK. If you hover over their landing page long enough they'll offer a 15% discount for signing up for their newsletter. I've not shopped with them but I have colleagues who recommend them (https://goodinkpressions.com/en-de). I've tried ordering from BazNotebooks in Bologna through Etsy, but it's gone two weeks now since they shipped and I'm still waiting.

Thank you @Chimera01 what are there postage rates like just been stung by a EU retailer. Also is B5 equivalent to European A5

33 minutes ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

what are there postage rates like

Not sure. I think I put a few things in a basket once to check out the postage rates and it seemed OK. On their website they say "For all orders we offer Economy Shipping (2-5 weeks) and express options via DHL. Shipping cost varies depending on the destination and will be calculated during checkout." I think they offer a few different shipping options... depending on how much of a hurry you're in.

Amazon UK might have some as well and available through their overnight shipping option. Might work out the same, once you include postage, and I guess you could have it straight away? Like I said, I ordered from Italy... still waiting... probably stuck at Dover!

Thanks all, Finally got hold of three Candlesticks what lovely paper if a little toothy. I am Still after cosmo, Q connect bank paper or TR. I am also considering Midori DP as well. What do people think of the Midori paper?

At some point in the future it might be worth checking out Muji Planting Trees paper, it comes in several sizes including A4 (I use the A5) but t is designed for folders so has holes down the one side. However, it is lovely FP friendly paper, reminds me of a thicker version of Tomoe River and it is excellently priced.

https://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?CatID=150205

• 5 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 10:38 PM, Chimera01 said:

Amazon UK might have some as well and available through their overnight shipping option. Might work out the same, once you include postage, and I guess you could have it straight away? Like I said, I ordered from Italy... still waiting... probably stuck at Dover!

My order via Etsy from Italy finally arrived here in the UK and I'm very happy with the Tomoe River notebooks I received. I got mine from BazNotebooks.