What to know about Urushi

MartinPauli

I have seen many questions in the forum about urushi, regarding, quality, technique, cleaning, prices and so on.
So I thought I should take a time and write an essey on this toppic.

Feel free to download the pdf from the library on my website.
There is also a German version for download

Best regards,

Martin
https://www.manupropria-pens.ch/angularmomentum-manupropria/uploadfiles/static/88c232f/16aa8898-3970-472c-bccc-cf3dda069e75.pdf/What%20to%20know%20about%20Urushi.pdf

screenshot_01.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MartinPauli

• mke

• Karmachanic

• awa54

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for this Martin. I will enjoy diving into this carefully. 

I would like to engage regarding the industrialization of urushi. In modern times the topic of industrialization of urushi seems to better fit operations like Sakamoto Urushi https://japan-product.com/ads/sakamoto-urushi-manufacturing-co-ltd-urushi-surface-manufacturing/.

The Namiki patent and process, according to my reading of the patent, and to my understanding based on the memories of Gonroku Matsuda, seems to be aimed at making ebonite a suitable substrate for urushi. As you are no doubt aware ebonite varies in quality even batch to batch. The untreated substrate was not deemed suitable to direct application of finish coats or maki-e due to instability. Ebonite, not being a natural product, also seemed to best require a base preparation technique that was a mix of modern and traditional. This is actually very interesting--urushi is so adaptable! The fast industrial way would be to polish the ebonite, maybe after aging it a bit under heat and vacuum, and proceeding directly to urushi finish. It would be years or decades before the inferior quality would potentially be revealed. Seems like Namiki was thinking about the long term stability and beauty of their products. 

Please let me know your thoughts.  

10 hours ago, jandrese said:

....Ebonite, not being a natural product....

well, not "natural" like wood, but it *is* derived from tree sap, as is urushi.

however it's much more natural than say, acrylic resin which also gets decorated with urushi these days.

I do get your point though, that the process of turning raw latex into hard rubber is one that introduces other compounds (making it a manufactured substance) and can produce finished material of varying quality.

while I'm no chemist, it certainly seems like residual or outgassed sulphur could be a real issue in the longevity of any coating on an ebonite item.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks Jandrese for the link and comments on Ebonite.

There are not many Ebonite manufacturers left. There are some in France and in the US, but they only make balls for bowling and Plectrum for Guital playing.

I buy my ebonite from Nikko in Tokyo. It is a "dry" ebonite and for lacquering the best quality I aassume. There is another ebonite company in Germany, Schöneberger Ebonite Manufaktur. They make excellent black, colored and patterned ebonite.
Namiki buys the black material there for tobacco pipe mouthpieces. Polished, it is really flawless and jet black.
German ebonite is also mostly used for ink feeders. Schöneberger adds lamp black to the raw rubber and sulfur. The problem in this case is that the adhesion of Urushi is poor because of the oily lampblack.

By the way, Bock experimented with Nikko ebonite for feeeds but found that the tools become dull faster than with the German, slightly oily material.

Cheers,

Martin

1 hour ago, MartinPauli said:

There are not many Ebonite manufacturers left.

and in India?

On 5/8/2022 at 8:03 PM, jandrese said:

The Namiki patent and process, according to my reading of the patent, and to my understanding based on the memories of Gonroku Matsuda, seems to be aimed at making ebonite a suitable substrate for urushi.

Thank you Martin - very interesting!

I think that the aforementioned patent's use of the words "patterns or figures" relates to chasing etc. (to prevent it from oxidizing and flattening out/returning to shape by (hand)heat) and not to maki-e or other lacquer techniques? I believe the patent predates Namiki's idea to decorate the objects with maki-e (for the European market!) - this is how I interpret Matsuda Gonroku's account. I could be wrong.