Quality Pen Boxes / Chests in Black?

Keyless Works

I currently use a couple of pen boxes from Wolf Designs and I would like to upgrade them to something that is better quality that will last a long time. Ideally I would like something that can hold 20-24 pens that has a lock or latch instead of drawers. That said black and high quality are my top priority so I am willing to accept drawers and smaller or larger sizes.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Keyless Works

• my63

• sansenri

• Linger

I am surprised that you have not had lots of suggestions for boxes, I made my son a trinket box from bog oak which as it suggests is oak that has spent 100's years in a bog and a reaction turns it black, similar to ebonising.

It is very difficult to find and difficult to work with as it is so hard.

51788235314_b4629c1ec8_z.jpg2021-12-30_04-32-13 by my0771, on Flickr

I can put you in touch with some high end box makers if you want something heirloom quality.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

On 5/5/2022 at 3:40 AM, my63 said:

I am surprised that you have not had lots of suggestions for boxes, I made my son a trinket box from bog oak which as it suggests is oak that has spent 100's years in a bog and a reaction turns it black, similar to ebonising.

It is very difficult to find and difficult to work with as it is so hard.

51788235314_b4629c1ec8_z.jpg2021-12-30_04-32-13 by my0771, on Flickr

I can put you in touch with some high end box makers if you want something heirloom quality.

Very cool!

I don't know if I want heirloom quality as it is not something that I keep out on display. My budget is about $500 max. I am seeing these boxes from Morici that look decent. I don't know if anyone has experience with them:

https://moricicollection.it/en/prodotti/luxury-box-en/pen-boxes/firenze-black-box-3-drawers/

spacer.png

I have had a look at their website and they look to be well made boxes. It looks like they use mdf for the carcus which is better than real wood as it does not move. As long as the pen slots are wide enough then you are sorted.

The only other option I could see would be a vintage cutlery canteen adapted to hold pens there are some fantastic ones out there, That could be done in your budget. 

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

15 hours ago, my63 said:

I have had a look at their website and they look to be well made boxes. It looks like they use mdf for the carcus which is better than real wood as it does not move. As long as the pen slots are wide enough then you are sorted.

The only other option I could see would be a vintage cutlery canteen adapted to hold pens there are some fantastic ones out there, That could be done in your budget. 

I saw a store post on this website about a different style box from them and they said it fit everything other than their largest Danitrios. I can email them to get the dimensions.

13 hours ago, Linger said:

Check out Italian artisan 

https://www.coinsandmore.it/en/categoria-prodotto/collectible-pens/furniture-for-pens/

he has a variety of boxes in black.

You can also have something customized from Japan

https://www.toyocraft.com/en/

they do black as well - but on a higher pricelevel.

Italian artisan looks really good for the price, however, the black finish doesn't look nice to my eye.

I have a small Toyooka Craft box. I like the quality. I didn't know they offered a black finish. Do I just email them and ask for a specific item in black? Is it a lot more expensive than their standard brown wood?

I had a pen box made to order - their 60 pen box but trimmed down to 48 pens, so from 5 drawers to 4. Simple email exchange - that started by filling out the online orderform submission, bit tricky, you'll figure it out. They give you dimensions, production lead time, price, etc. all up front.

Don't know about the price for a black box. Their instagram account showed examples of MTO boxes, so they do offer the possibility. Given their reputation (both perceived by all reactions, and experienced myself) the finish will be stellar. Go for it!

now and then I also check out these boxes as I would like one made, have not made up my mind yet. Coins and more focus a lot o coins and watches, their offer for pen boxes is restricted and their design is sort of old fashioned (wooden finish, and not high quality finish).

Morici looks much better to me, as long as you like the shiny finish, I think it is "piano lacquer" and I would agree the box is probably made of MDF (which is not  a bad thing, as my63 says, as it will not warp and crack the lacquer).

You might also wish to check Alberto Zecchi, his pen boxes and trays look rather nice.

http://www.albertozecchi.it/home.html

when you do decide, please share, I'm really curious to see your final choice

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

now and then I also check out these boxes as I would like one made, have not made up my mind yet. Coins and more focus a lot o coins and watches, their offer for pen boxes is restricted and their design is sort of old fashioned (wooden finish, and not high quality finish).

Morici looks much better to me, as long as you like the shiny finish, I think it is "piano lacquer" and I would agree the box is probably made of MDF (which is not  a bad thing, as my63 says, as it will not warp and crack the lacquer).

You might also wish to check Alberto Zecchi, his pen boxes and trays look rather nice.

http://www.albertozecchi.it/home.html

when you do decide, please share, I'm really curious to see your final choice

I haven't heard of that brand either. They do look quite nice. I am bookmarking this thread for future reference.  I ended up ordering this Morici one from La Couronne Du Comte as I had a coupon and they offer free shipping. It is back ordered so I hope I get it in a month or two. I will share pictures once it arrives.

spacer.png

39 minutes ago, Keyless Works said:

I haven't heard of that brand either. They do look quite nice. I am bookmarking this thread for future reference.  I ended up ordering this Morici one from La Couronne Du Comte as I had a coupon and they offer free shipping. It is back ordered so I hope I get it in a month or two. I will share pictures once it arrives.

spacer.png

that looks quite nice and might suit me, as in fact I find the drawer system more comfortable, and may even consider not to have the top glass.
Let us have your direct impressions when you get it , thanks.