About Shanghai Pen Industry Company

TFHS

On 5/3/2022 at 1:43 PM, jchch1950 said:

I think this information can be very important to understand the pen production in China. Do you know where I can find more information about it,if possible in English.

I always copy and paste Chinese text and search.

I am convinced that it is better to refer to local information and opinions by translation.

I think that English is okay because it can be translated into Japanese by setting the browser.

You can use it without logging in without getting an account.

This will give you an overview.

Of course, if you increase the number of search languages, you can search Google, but the display (list) of the search results will not be translated. Please let me know if there is a good way.

https://wapbaike.baidu.com/

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TFHS

• Number99

• jchch1950

• Dan Carmell

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/3/2022 at 12:43 PM, jchch1950 said:

I think this information can be very important to understand the pen production in China. Do you know where I can find more information about it,if possible in English.

If you're asking about the explanation of the concept of "横向联营", it's a little difficult for me because it involves so much political and economic stuff.

If you ask each factory which factory has carried out the "横向联营" behavior, it will take time, but I can give you some examples.

Within the Shanghai Writing Instrument Industry Company, Fenghwa Factory and Parts No. 6 Factory, Hero Pen Factory and Parts No. 5 Factory, Shanghai Ballpoint Pen Factory and Parts No. 7 Factory, respectively carried out "横向联营". 

Externally, the more famous is the "横向联营" between the Hero Pen Factory and the Zhejiang Lishui Pen Factory in 1985, and this influence is still there today, and many of the fountain pens named "Hero" are not produced in Shanghai.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7788451600

On 5/5/2022 at 6:13 AM, Number99 said:

I always copy and paste Chinese text and search.

I am convinced that it is better to refer to local information and opinions by translation.

I think that English is okay because it can be translated into Japanese by setting the browser.

You can use it without logging in without getting an account.

This will give you an overview.

Of course, if you increase the number of search languages, you can search Google, but the display (list) of the search results will not be translated. Please let me know if there is a good way.

https://wapbaike.baidu.com/

For non-Chinese mainland users, Google Books is a good platform to translate the keywords to be searched into Chinese and English. However, there is a disadvantage, that is, only a small piece of text in the context can be displayed.

In Chinese mainland, in addition to various forums (Baidu Tieba and penbbs), academic platforms such as CNKI or Duxiu (which require Chinese mainland mobile phone number to register for account access) are more effective. Baidu Wapbaike can hardly retrieve more useful information.

http://www.penbbs.com/forum.php

https://www.cnki.net/

https://www.duxiu.com/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2022 at 11:12 PM, TFHS said:

For non-Chinese mainland users, Google Books is a good platform to translate the keywords to be searched into Chinese and English. However, there is a disadvantage, that is, only a small piece of text in the context can be displayed.

In Chinese mainland, in addition to various forums (Baidu Tieba and penbbs), academic platforms such as CNKI or Duxiu (which require Chinese mainland mobile phone number to register for account access) are more effective. Baidu Wapbaike can hardly retrieve more useful information.

http://www.penbbs.com/forum.php

https://www.cnki.net/

https://www.duxiu.com/

Thanks for the pen forum pen bbs link.

This site is a site that often appears in Google search, but it appeared in a form that could not reach the home screen.

I can now use the site search.

Can I get an account here without a phone number in mainland China?

I can't post because I don't have the language skills to verify the translation, but I would like to get an account and view the images.

Does this site have anything to do with the stationery maker PEN BBS? (I looked it up. I found out that the owner of this site started manufacturing and selling stationery, so the site is original.)

CNKI is searchable to me, and Duxiu was stuck on the "Registration" screen.

I think I'll be using google search for a while, with the addition of pen bbs and CNKI when I need academic articles.

thank you very much.

14 hours ago, Number99 said:

Can I get an account here without a phone number in mainland China?

It is said that foreign citizens can use their passports to go to the service outlets of Chinese operators to apply for Chinese mainland mobile phone numbers. I don't know much about the situation lately.

Does this site have anything to do with the stationery maker PEN BBS? (I looked it up. I found out that the owner of this site started manufacturing and selling stationery, so the site is original.)

Yes, the holders of the forum and the factory are one.

CNKI is searchable to me, and Duxiu was stuck on the "Registration" screen.

Maybe some universities in Japan can access the resources related to "Duxiu", but I'm not sure. In addition, many resources of Duxiu can also be retrieved on Google Books.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:40 AM, TFHS said:

In the last century, the center of the Chinese mainland writing instrument industry was in Shanghai, mainly led by the Shanghai Pen Industry Company(also called "Shanghai Writing Instrument Industry Company", called "上海市制笔工业公司" in the Chinese), and many pen brands such as Hero and Wingsung were ranked below it. 

Recently I found the official translation of "上海市制笔工业公司" is "Shanghai Pen & Pencil Corp.".1853170598_.JPG.351f1c5bda1eba8afe3e0f4edd9a879a.JPG