About Shanghai Pen Industry Company

TFHS

In the last century, the center of the Chinese mainland writing instrument industry was in Shanghai, mainly led by the Shanghai Pen Industry Company(also called "Shanghai Writing Instrument Industry Company", called "上海市制笔工业公司" in the Chinese), and many pen brands such as Hero and Wingsung were ranked below it. 

Overall, the operating model of Shanghai Pen Industry Company is similar to Newell Brands: The subordinate factories are relatively independent, have their own trademarks, but have a certain division of labor. Shanghai Pen Industry Company has some finished product factories, as well as some raw material factories and pen parts factories. However, in December 1986, the company was abolished for various reasons and its factories became independent units.

Next, I will briefly introduce the various factories that belong to the company before 1986.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TFHS

• Number99

• jchch1950

• Dan Carmell

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The main content of this post is to introduce the company's factories and institutions, so I will omit the details of each factory.

1. Shanghai Hero Pen Factory(英雄金笔厂)

It was founded in 1931 and the main brand is Hero, Wolff. The main business is the fountain pen and fine line tip pen.

2. Shanghai Xinhua Pen Factory(新华金笔厂)(Renamed "Shanghai Wingsung Pen Factory" in 1987)

It was founded in 1947 and the main brand is Wingsung, Xinhua, Lucky. The main business is the fountain pen.

3. Shanghai Feng Hwa Ball Point Pen Factory (丰华圆珠笔厂)

It was founded in 1948 and the main brand is Fenghwa, Zhonghua. The main business is the ballpoint pen.

4. Shanghai Ball Pen Factory (上海圆珠笔厂)

It was founded in 1940 and the main brand is Hero, Vens, Shanghai. The main business is the ballpoint pen and color pen.

5. Shanghai Ball Pen Reservoir Factory (上海圆珠笔芯厂)

It was founded in 1938 and the main brand is Shang Xin. The main business is the ballpoint pen refill.

6. China No.1 Pencil Factory (中国铅笔一厂)

It was founded in 1935 and the main brand is Chunghwa, Great Wall. The main business is the pencil.

7. China No.2 Pencil Factory (中国铅笔二厂)

It was founded in 1940 and the main brand is Three Star. The main business is the pencil and mechanical pencil.

8. Shanghai Pencil Board Factory (上海铅笔板厂)

It was founded in 1931 and the main brand is Three Happiness. The main business is the pencil board and pencil.

9. Shanghai No.2 Pencil Board Factory (上海铅笔板二厂)

It was founded in 1979. The main business is the pencil board.

10. Shanghai Writing Instrument Chemical Factory (上海制笔化工厂)

It was founded in 1947. The main business is the ink and plastics.

11. Shanghai Writing Instrument Electrochemical Factory (上海制笔电化厂)

It was founded in 1939. The main business is the aluminum barrel & cap of pen, and other aluminum tube.

12. Shanghai Pen Nib Factory (上海笔尖厂) (Renamed "Shanghai Stainless Steel Material Factory" in 1988)

It was founded in 1950 and the main brand is Dengta. The main business is the stainless steel strip, the nib of dip-pen.

13. Shanghai Pellet Factory (上海铱粒厂)

It was founded in 1953 and the main brand is Guiguan. The main business is the iridium pellet, the ball of ballpoint pen.

To be continued...

6 hours ago, TFHS said:

To be continued...

Thank you, I look forward to the continuation!

2 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

Thank you, I look forward to the continuation!

Thank you.

Another point is that many factories do not have direct overseas business, so there is no official English name.

14. Shanghai Ink Factory (上海墨水厂)

It was founded in 1925 and the main brand is Hero, Panda. The main business is the ink and glue.

15. Shanghai Air Rifle Factory (上海汽枪厂 or 上海英雄绘图机厂)

It was founded in 1930 and the main brand is Industry Brand, Hero. The main business is the air rifle, ink and graph plotter.

16. Shanghai No.1 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件一厂)

It was founded in 1947 and the main brand is Feitu. The main business is the feed of fountain pen and the aluminum ring hood of the pencil.

17. Shanghai No.2 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件二厂)

It was founded in 1956 and the main brand is Great Wall. The main business is the clip of pen, various copper tube, and the guide pipe of mechanical pencil.

18. Shanghai No.3 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件三厂)

It was founded in 1937 and the main brand is Great Wall. The main business is the eraser, ink sac of fountain pen, and various adhesive.

19. Shanghai No.4 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件四厂)

It was founded in 1978. The main business is the stainless steel barrel & cap of pen.

20. Shanghai No.5 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件五厂)

It was founded in 1979. The main business is the component assembly of fountain pen.

21. Shanghai No.6 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件六厂)

It was founded in 1979. The main business is the small pen parts of ballpoint pen and mechanical pencil.

22. Shanghai No.7 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件七厂)

It was founded in 1979. The main business is the metal raw materials of pen.

23. Shanghai No.8 Pen Parts Factory (上海制笔零件八厂)

It was founded in 1958 and the main brand is Butterfly. The main business is various ruler.

24. Shanghai Writing Instrument Research Institute (上海制笔工业研究所)

It was founded in 1960 and the main brand is SWIRI. The main business is collecting intelligence information on the pen making industry, participating in the technical work of other factory, publications related to the pen-making industry.

25. Shanghai Writing Instrument Industry Company Vocational Secondary School (上海市制笔工业公司职工中等培训学校)

It was founded in 1984. The main business is training for practitioners in the pen-making industry.

26. Shanghai Writing Instrument Industry Company Car Fleet (上海市制笔工业公司汽车队)

It was founded in 1979. The main business is transportation of goods and personnel.

27. Shanghai Guoguang Harmonica Factory (国光口琴厂)

It was founded in 1931 and the main brand is Guo Guang. The main business is harmonica and zinc type of typewriter.

28. Shanghai Typewriter Factory (上海打字机厂)

It was founded in 1958 and the main brand is Shuangge, Feiyu. The main business is typewriter and mechanical computer.

29. Shanghai No.2 Typewriter Factory (上海打字机二厂)

It was founded in 1944 and the main brand is Hero. The main business is typewriter.

30. Shanghai Number Machine Factory (上海号码机厂)

It was founded in 1930 and the main brand is Great Wall. The main business is number machine.

31. Shanghai Typewriter Parts Factory (上海打字机零件厂)

It was founded in 1979. The main business is the parts of typewriter.

32. Shanghai Stenograph Factory (上海速印机厂)

It was founded in 1952 and the main brand is Great Wall. The main business is stenograph.

33. Shanghai Huanqiu Lock Factory (环球锁厂)

The main brand is Earth. The main business is lock.

END

8 minutes ago, mallymal1 said:

Thank you for the information @TFHS. That's really interesting. 

Thank you for reply.

It was printed on the refill of the Cloisonne ballpoint pen that arrived today.

DA

丰华一分厂

Ball pen refill

Shanghai China

944 F4

It may be 3. factory related products.

Will the name of the factory change after 1986?

33 minutes ago, Number99 said:

It was printed on the refill of the Cloisonne ballpoint pen that arrived today.

DA

丰华一分厂

Ballpoint pen refill

Shanghai China

944 F4

It may be an plant(工廠)-related product in 4.

Will the name of the plant(工廠) change after 1986?

"DA" means archival, and its handwriting is stronger. 

"94" means 1994.

After 1986, Feng Hwa Ball Point Pen Factory became an independent company, and in the 1990s, it moved its headquarters to Pudong New Area and carried out the reform of the shareholding system. During this period, Feng Hwa may have opened some branches.

However, in the mid-1980s, there was a policy called "横向联营", which was very lengthy to explain. In simple terms, it is to authorize some small factories to produce, and after that, these small factories may become the official factories belonging to Feng Hwa.

On 5/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, TFHS said:

On 5/1/2022 at 5:14 PM, TFHS said:

However, in the mid-1980s, there was a policy called "横向联营", which was very lengthy to explain. In simple terms, it is to authorize some small factories to produce, and after that, these small factories may become the official factories belonging to Feng Hwa.

I think this information can be very important to understand the pen production in China. Do you know where I can find more information about it,if possible in English.