Availability of Noodler's ink in India

Aravind_A_2310

Hi.

I've been watching a lot of content on YouTube by Nathan Tardif (owner of noodler's) and I've been meaning to try his inks, especially the noodlers black and noodlers blue(Yes... I know it's a boring choice... But it's a start...). His views on the fountain pen, durability, longevity, frugality and getting the most for your money are some of the most interesting views I've seen (and I totally agree with him, partly because I'm a student and broke AF, even with a part time job). 

I've been meaning to get his Inks for a while but they seem to be either out of stock on Amazon or are way too expensive even with the current exchange rates. One 3oz/90ml bottle of noodler's black costs around 2600 rupees/ 33USD. I don't have pens that cost even half that much !  Whereas the retail price of this ink is around the 12-14 USD. I know logistics and customs contribute to this, but surely there are atleast slightly less expensive ways to procure these inks in India.

Anyone has an idea of where can I get them in India apart from Amazon?

Your opinions and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Regards

Aravind

If you wish to contact me you can via

Mail: aravindap@protonmail.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aravind_A_2310

• IlikeInksandIcannotlie

• RitwijMishra

• Shyahi

Noodler's cannot be got for less than 2k INR, AFAIK. There's no official distributor in India. Ravi at Penspoint Delhi does have Noodler's ink,  but I doubt it'll be available at any less than 1500-1600 INR. If you want good, cheap ( relatively) and water resistant ink then Pilot 350 ml bottles are your best choice, I think, apart from 500 ml bottles of Herbin Black and 1 L Pelikan ink bottles.

57 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Noodler's cannot be got for less than 2k INR, AFAIK. There's no official distributor in India. Ravi at Penspoint Delhi does have Noodler's ink,  but I doubt it'll be available at any less than 1500-1600 INR. If you want good, cheap ( relatively) and water resistant ink then Pilot 350 ml bottles are your best choice, I think, apart from 500 ml bottles of Herbin Black and 1 L Pelikan ink bottles.

I've contacted Ravi ji before. And unfortunately they don't seem to sell noodlers anymore

Oh. Your only options seem to be imports then. I haven't seen Noodler's up for sale at any website other than sites that import from the US.

1 hour ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Oh. Your only options seem to be imports then. I haven't seen Noodler's up for sale at any website other than sites that import from the US.

Unfortunate indeed😓

Well, Noodler's certainly does have many good colours, but they do have consistency issues. 

16 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Well, Noodler's certainly does have many good colours, but they do have consistency issues. 

Well, it's made by one man in a shed in Massachusetts... So some inconsistency will be there. But some inconsistencies are intentional for security and traceability reasons for example, to trace which batch of ink the person used to sign his last will and testament, so they could detect a fraud document...

He does take fraud resistence and security very seriously.

If you haven't, I do recommend checking out the interview he did with Goulet pens on YouTube, as he gives a great insight on his views on how a fountain pen should be... It should be for the masses and be the most economical than the rollerball or ballpoint. Affordability, longevity, permanence and repairability are kind of the 4 pillars he stands by for his pens and inks...

Here's the link for those who haven't watched:

https://youtu.be/dqLmMbq_eFo

Not really. The Warden series is meant to be variant, for security reasons. Everything else is probably just accidental. Even his non- permanent inks are inconsistent to a large degree. De Atramentis, on the other hand , is a bit more consistent.

I would suggest contacting one of the Montblanc boutiques we have in our country, and ask them whether or not Montblanc Permanent Black could be had at the moment, bottled or in cartridges. In my experience of making interminable use of it exclusively, I have found it to be in flow (viscous enough for pleasure, dry enough to articulate the nib grade), colour (perfectly dark), permanence (perfectly so, unless what has not yet bonded with paper washes off) and in relative ease of availability a more than substantive alternative to be had for my use than the Noodler's line.  

A B&M in Raipur had a couple of bottles of the Eel line in stock when I visited them last, and was duly informed that they were planning to have some of each (the Warden series, the Bulletproof and Eternal lines, etc) in stock in some eventuality, due in part to customers having asked for them a great deal.  

Perle Noire is, of course, an excellent alternative. I did use Perle Noire for a long while, and I do recommend it as the one ink of whose apodictic - that it is near perfection - is not puerile. 

15 minutes ago, RitwijMishra said:

I would suggest contacting one of the Montblanc boutiques we have in our country, and ask them whether or not Montblanc Permanent Black could be had at the moment, bottled or in cartridges. In my experience of making interminable use of it exclusively, I have found it to be in flow (viscous enough for pleasure, dry enough to articulate the nib grade), colour (perfectly dark), permanence (perfectly so, unless what has not yet bonded with paper washes off) and in relative ease of availability a more than substantive alternative to be had for my use than the Noodler's line.  

A B&M in Raipur had a couple of bottles of the Eel line in stock when I visited them last, and was duly informed that they were planning to have some of each (the Warden series, the Bulletproof and Eternal lines, etc) in stock in some eventuality, due in part to customers having asked for them a great deal.  

Perle Noire is, of course, an excellent alternative. I did use Perle Noire for a long while, and I do recommend it as the one ink of whose apodictic - that it is near perfection - is not puerile. 

Thank you for your suggestion... I'll look into MB inks and if there's any available in my region(I'm from Kerala BTW). 

Also, do you happen to have the contact of the store in raipur you visited? And is there a chance they'll send it to Kerala?

6 hours ago, RitwijMishra said:

MB ink is a little expensive for the price. MB permanent inks also seem to be out of stock at most retailers right now. I agree with you on the points made about Perle Noire, it is an excellent ink, and the only ink I have nearly 100 ml of.

8 hours ago, rohit1974 said:

MB permanent inks available at swastikpenn.com

MONTBLANC - SWASTIK PENN

Thanks... But it's kinda expensive for what you're getting... I might buy the big pilot or herbin bottle instead... More ink for your buck... And I really like the pilot blue black shade 

I would be more than pleased to DM Mr Prateek Jain's - the owner's - contact information. He may inform you if, or when, and what, colours he may procure. 

I do understand MBPB at INR 2525/- or so for 60 ml may not appear to offer much of a value proposition relative to the larger bottles of Pilot or Perle Noire (INR 1800/- for 100 ml), but it entirely depends on the user's discretion and requirements. I require the dark tint and permanence and flow Perle Noire very nearly achieves but that which MBPB entirely does (for me, at the very least; we are, admittedly, iterating the platitudes of our own subjective reconstructions). Whatever feels resonant to your usage is of excellent value. 

8 hours ago, RitwijMishra said:

I would be more than pleased to DM Mr Prateek Jain's - the owner's - contact information. He may inform you if, or when, and what, colours he may procure. 

I do understand MBPB at INR 2525/- or so for 60 ml may not appear to offer much of a value proposition relative to the larger bottles of Pilot or Perle Noire (INR 1800/- for 100 ml), but it entirely depends on the user's discretion and requirements. I require the dark tint and permanence and flow Perle Noire very nearly achieves but that which MBPB entirely does (for me, at the very least; we are, admittedly, iterating the platitudes of our own subjective reconstructions). Whatever feels resonant to your usage is of excellent value. 

Platinum Carbon black is also known for excellent permanence while being cheaper. Maybe you could have a look at it.

10 minutes ago, IlikeInksandIcannotlie said:

Platinum Carbon black is also known for excellent permanence while being cheaper. Maybe you could have a look at it.

Isn't that more of a pigment based ink?... Also I've heard that it's a bit of a hassle to clean off... My primary pens are airmail 69T and a 71JT with a feed and nib swap, and I use them a lot... And to be honest, I haven't branched out at all to th premium ink brands. The inks that I use are mainly from bril, Camlin or Parker since they are more readily available in my area. Like I said in the post, I'm a student who lives on a small stipend and the reason I looked at bigger capacity ink bottles was because I'm going through the 60ml bottles of bril and Camlin sooner than I anticipated. Within 4 months I've already finished 2 bottles of bril royal blue. And i wanted something with a bit more water resistance. Bril blue was surprisingly resistant to water. But it wasn't enough for me. I was intrigued by noodler's ink but at the current rates at which they go, it doesn't make sense for me to purchase them. Atleast , not in my current situation. I'm currently looking at the 300ml pilot inks, as they do seem reasonable for what you're getting.  But thank you for your suggestions.🙏

43 minutes ago, Aravind_A_2310 said:

Isn't that more of a pigment based ink?... Also I've heard that it's a bit of a hassle to clean off... My primary pens are airmail 69T and a 71JT with a feed and nib swap, and I use them a lot... And to be honest, I haven't branched out at all to th premium ink brands. The inks that I use are mainly from bril, Camlin or Parker since they are more readily available in my area. Like I said in the post, I'm a student who lives on a small stipend and the reason I looked at bigger capacity ink bottles was because I'm going through the 60ml bottles of bril and Camlin sooner than I anticipated. Within 4 months I've already finished 2 bottles of bril royal blue. And i wanted something with a bit more water resistance. Bril blue was surprisingly resistant to water. But it wasn't enough for me. I was intrigued by noodler's ink but at the current rates at which they go, it doesn't make sense for me to purchase them. Atleast , not in my current situation. I'm currently looking at the 300ml pilot inks, as they do seem reasonable for what you're getting.  But thank you for your suggestions.🙏

MB PB is also pigment based, I was just suggesting PCB as an alternative to MB PB . For you the best option is very likely Herbin black or Pelikan Blue Black or Pilot Blue Black.

Even if pens point had it they never would ship it outside Delhi.

So no point in asking a retailer who wouldn't want to ship it outside the state.

Next for black ink try Brill black that's a bit more water resistant as black inks commonly are i assume.

Won't they fade or something like that while writing note's.

Also how on earth are you able to take notes when teacher/Lecture all they do is travel in a TGV and that's a worse case scenario to write fast with a fountain pen atleast not for me.

Unfortunate i didn't knew about this fountain pen writing before as mostly they would advise is to stick to a ball pen instead of a Gel/Roller ball

9 hours ago, Shyahi said:

Even if pens point had it they never would ship it outside Delhi.

So no point in asking a retailer who wouldn't want to ship it outside the state.

Next for black ink try Brill black that's a bit more water resistant as black inks commonly are i assume.

Won't they fade or something like that while writing note's.

Also how on earth are you able to take notes when teacher/Lecture all they do is travel in a TGV and that's a worse case scenario to write fast with a fountain pen atleast not for me.

Unfortunate i didn't knew about this fountain pen writing before as mostly they would advise is to stick to a ball pen instead of a Gel/Roller ball

I mainly use bril and Parker inks on my airmail pens that I carry daily... Mainly because they don't stain the barrel unlike Camlin inks do... And I've tried bril black and make no mistake, it's a very good ink... But I want to keep stock of some ink and I want to come out of the bril, Camlin, Parker bubble...

I'm afraid of ordering from Amazon as when I ordered some quick black from them, it arrived in a black box... Not for aesthetics, but the box was literally stained black from the ink... 30ml of it... And the bottle was broken... So I've held off ordering ink online and sticking to local shops...

While taking notes, fade is the least of the problems, the main problem is smudging and bleed through... But thankfully in Kerala, where I live, there are many cheap notebooks made by local makers that are for the price, very good for use with fountain pens... And smudging can be reduced by using a fine nib, which is what I mostly use anyway...

Regarding fade, the worst is Parker quink as it'll start to fade within 2 months... Bril inks hold up reasonably well to fade... I'm surprised that bril sells these for ₹25/- for 60ml! even if they were close to ₹100/- for 60ml, especially the royal blue, it'll still be worth the price...

Also, taking notes in school require the hand to move as fast as Jackie Chan's fight scenes, so a ballpoint made more sense to me... But in college, taking notes atleast for me was less of a hassle... I'll just note which topic the lecturer takes and take notes at home using PDFs and reference texts... Granted it's time consuming, but any time I get to write with my fountain pens is time well spent in my books... Plus it was a good revision strategy...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, Aravind_A_2310 said:

I mainly use bril and Parker inks on my airmail pens that I carry daily... Mainly because they don't stain the barrel unlike Camlin inks do... And I've tried bril black and make no mistake, it's a very good ink... But I want to keep stock of some ink and I want to come out of the bril, Camlin, Parker bubble...

I'm afraid of ordering from Amazon as when I ordered some quick black from them, it arrived in a black box... Not for aesthetics, but the box was literally stained black from the ink... 30ml of it... And the bottle was broken... So I've held off ordering ink online and sticking to local shops...

While taking notes, fade is the least of the problems, the main problem is smudging and bleed through... But thankfully in Kerala, where I live, there are many cheap notebooks made by local makers that are for the price, very good for use with fountain pens... And smudging can be reduced by using a fine nib, which is what I mostly use anyway...

Regarding fade, the worst is Parker quink as it'll start to fade within 2 months... Bril inks hold up reasonably well to fade... I'm surprised that bril sells these for ₹25/- for 60ml! even if they were close to ₹100/- for 60ml, especially the royal blue, it'll still be worth the price...

Also, taking notes in school require the hand to move as fast as Jackie Chan's fight scenes, so a ballpoint made more sense to me... But in college, taking notes atleast for me was less of a hassle... I'll just note which topic the lecturer takes and take notes at home using PDFs and reference texts... Granted it's time consuming, but any time I get to write with my fountain pens is time well spent in my books... Plus it was a good revision strategy...

Try Pilot black i recently ordered from Amazon they came crisp and clear without any leaks.