Add Egg Dye Tablets to Underwhelming inks.

amberleadavis

@HalloweenHJB sent me some Ferris Wheel Press Morning Mint which has a beautiful looking but very impractical bottle and an undersaturated ink.  (Seriously, was the company trying to save on dye?)

So, I took out some samples for play and since the PAAS egg dying kits were on sale .. well, I bought some.

I have tried experiments like this in the past with "Trench Pens" but this was the first time I stopped and documented the process.

en-forest-friends-instruction-scaled.jpeg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• InesF

• Kari Homan Shannon

• inkstainedruth

Here was the Ferris Wheel Press Morning Mint in a VERY wet pen. 

large.20220421.jpg.d65d5c9ee61460815ed1a8f391033d02.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

If you haven't seen the Pineider Alchemy Set, check it out. I used these bottles.

https://www.dromgooles.com/pineider-ink-alchemy-set.html

In the first bottle, I filled it about 70% full and then I add 1 cyan and 1 yellow dye tablet.  (Later I added one more of each tablet, but I don't have a pen filled with that right now.)

large.20220421_002.jpg.ea4fe36169881942d1722f573b48accb.jpg

In another batch, I added Blackstone Ink Gel #3 - OH MY - Miss both Blackstone and Ink Gel.

large.20220421_001.jpg.b38e55a50f08554643e4397f3af6bc20.jpg

So, I was asked what I did with the other tablets....

Well, my "Potions Cabinets" needed some spooky bottles, but as @lapis and I discovered, alcohol is MUCH less expensive than ink, and when I was burglarized, the thief stole my bottle of Alien Tequila which was filled with INK.  So, I decided to just color the alcohol this time.  Images will follow.

large.PXL_20220424_011422888.jpg.de8154e9a37fde2867f5a2e66b5400aa.jpglarge.PXL_20220424_011340620.jpg.71e57d79f8ed19d78fe91f4d162586b8.jpglarge.PXL_20220424_011452069.jpg.7be26fa96ad1ce7afc3f22cf5cbf90c5.jpglarge.PXL_20220424_011205654.jpg.4f0f0e0a39bc3584d1efda927d9c1c68.jpglarge_djt.jpg.21911f98544e3dcb2c443a5d264219dc.jpg

If anyone is interested in some ink samples, please let me know.  The not really ink samples are not available.  :)

I like all the greens, including the non-dyed original. The other two are certainly brighter and less murky, but the Morning Mint has a certain deflated charm about it. Not too forward, repressed and keeping its head down. 

Interesting. Something more to look at.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

9 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

(Seriously, was the company trying to save on dye?)

Seems quite possible.

And/or to

- capitalize on the pastell ink trend

- enable/improve/enhance shading

Multiple flies, one clap/swat (not sure if that saying exists in the english language 🤔)

Personally I quite like pale inks, so I'm probably not gonna follow your advice 😉 especially not with rather pricy inks like Ferris Wheel Press (which I don't have anyway).

Your bottles with the egg dye colored liquid/alcohol do look nice tho 🙂

What an interesting topic!!! I remember using food coloring in my fountain pens in high school.... I'm thinking they might not be concentrated enough...  Is there anything besides egg coloring dye that can be used? 

- dilute alcohol inks (can they be diluted enough to not harm pens and if so, will the ink be watery/faint as well?)

- dye paste for coloring icing

- acid dyes

- fibre reactive dyes

- concentrated water color solutions 

??? 

On 4/23/2022 at 9:26 PM, amberleadavis said:

So, I was asked what I did with the other tablets....

Well, my "Potions Cabinets" needed some spooky bottles, but as @lapis and I discovered, alcohol is MUCH less expensive than ink, and when I was burglarized, the thief stole my bottle of Alien Tequila which was filled with INK.  So, I decided to just color the alcohol this time.  Images will follow.

Well, I guess the cops will be able to easily spot the perp -- it will be the person whose mouth is colored some weird color.... :lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

15 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, I guess the cops will be able to easily spot the perp -- it will be the person whose mouth is colored some weird color.... :lticaptd:

They're going to take one sip and swear off alcohol forever, because they'll think something is wrong with them. 😂

🤣

Of course there's a lot of booze that I think is too disgusting tasting to drink already....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 4/24/2022 at 3:53 AM, amberleadavis said:

If anyone is interested in some ink samples, please let me know.  The not really ink samples are not available.  :)

LOL :lticaptd:

What a great idea to upgrade (upcycle?) those small bottles into something useful! Thx @amberleadavis!

On 4/25/2022 at 10:37 PM, Kari Homan Shannon said:

Is there anything besides egg coloring dye that can be used? 

Yes, there are some possibilities, but the range of colours is limited:

- the often mentioned food colours - nice hobby, but nothing you would not get (better) from regular inks;

- plant extracts, such as from walnut husks, elderberries, red beet, blue wood, red wood, coffee, tea, etc. - also a nice hobby and some of them look really good!;

- textile colours (only those for cotton and only those not pre-mixed with salt) - same as food colours, nothing special to achieve but mixtures may be interesting;

- flouresceine, which is probably not suitable by its own but can make interesting effects when added to other inks - it will change the appearance of an ink line dependent on the light source, especially when exposed to direct sunlight or to a UV-lamp;

- if you like to do an experiment with higher effort: collect biomass from "algal" bloom (which is mostly cyanobacteria), separate the green solids from surplus water (and from dead animals and such), freeze the solids for 1-2 days, slowly thaw & collect the released liquid; it's phycocyanin and has a lovely turquoise-blue (cyan) colour.

Customise your "inks" by adding smallest amounts of detergents and Gum Arabic to your liking. Never ever use alcohol or other organic solvents - do not even think about!

remark: extracts from berries change colour with pH-value, from orange-red when acidic to dark burgundy red and grey towards teal when alkaline. The teal has short lifetime but the acidic forms are quite stable. Use the pH-dependency creatively (say: 2 Pilot parallel pens filled with opposite pH).

One life!

9 hours ago, InesF said:

LOL :lticaptd:

What a great idea to upgrade (upcycle?) those small bottles into something useful! Thx @amberleadavis!

Yes, there are some possibilities, but the range of colours is limited:

- the often mentioned food colours - nice hobby, but nothing you would not get (better) from regular inks;

- plant extracts, such as from walnut husks, elderberries, red beet, blue wood, red wood, coffee, tea, etc. - also a nice hobby and some of them look really good!;

- textile colours (only those for cotton and only those not pre-mixed with salt) - same as food colours, nothing special to achieve but mixtures may be interesting;

- flouresceine, which is probably not suitable by its own but can make interesting effects when added to other inks - it will change the appearance of an ink line dependent on the light source, especially when exposed to direct sunlight or to a UV-lamp;

- if you like to do an experiment with higher effort: collect biomass from "algal" bloom (which is mostly cyanobacteria), separate the green solids from surplus water (and from dead animals and such), freeze the solids for 1-2 days, slowly thaw & collect the released liquid; it's phycocyanin and has a lovely turquoise-blue (cyan) colour.

Customise your "inks" by adding smallest amounts of detergents and Gum Arabic to your liking. Never ever use alcohol or other organic solvents - do not even think about!

remark: extracts from berries change colour with pH-value, from orange-red when acidic to dark burgundy red and grey towards teal when alkaline. The teal has short lifetime but the acidic forms are quite stable. Use the pH-dependency creatively (say: 2 Pilot parallel pens filled with opposite pH).

Really awesome news.... I've heard of using glycerine, and dish soap in ink, but not gum arabic.... Can you tell me what these do for the ink?  

/me here to glean your inky intellect.... 

On 4/29/2022 at 11:45 PM, Kari Homan Shannon said:

Really awesome news.... I've heard of using glycerine, and dish soap in ink, but not gum arabic.... Can you tell me what these do for the ink?  

Hi @Kari Homan Shannon, you're welcome.

Glycerine and sugar are often used. Nothing wrong there, especially for iron gal inks with very low pH-value. But you need to consider both these ingredients are highly welcome substrates for microbes in all inks with pH above 3 or 4. So, if you feed them ... hmm, they will thankfully grow well.

Polyethylene glycol, ethyl- or methyl-cellulose, alginates, guar, glucomannan, carrageen, Traganth, Xanthan,  and Gum Arabic are synthetic and natural water soluble polymers which are not well biodegradable. They will increase viscosity (and shading if the ink allows shading) and reduce line width and feathering, while increasing colour intensity. However, with all of them you need to be careful and restrictive. Always use the absolute minimum amount to achieve an improvement. All of them can clog the ink capillaries when drying in the pen. However, all of them are water soluble - you will get them out again, even after weeks of soaking time.

Consider: dried standard ink will also need a long time to dissolve again - no difference here.

Trivia: Gum Arabic is often used in beer, in sweeties (marshmallows) on ginger bread or for encapsulation of some drugs ...

Detergents are another topic. There seems to be no general answer for using or not using them. You may stabilise some dyes while you may precipitate others (depending on same or opposite ion charge). I have no better tip than to do some try-and-error experiment with the dye you selected. Dishwasher soap is nice but not the best you can use. Triton X100 (or X200, or another X-type) is often used for fountain pen inks. You may buy it in your drugstore or as a so called ink wetting agent.

However, any detergent decreases surface tension and increases the amount of ink released from the nib, while significantly increasing feathering and bleed through. The same advise again: use the absolute minimum amount that shows the expected effect - at best: do not use any.

One life!

@InesF Thank you for adding your expertise!

On 4/25/2022 at 3:54 PM, inkstainedruth said:

We did a have thief that threw the bottle down the stair well. The stains are still there.

Here's some decanted ink in bottles from a local company.  All of the inks are from the powdered ink test.

Red Diamond Dregs, Red Diamond Top, Green Cashmere, Two Blue Cashmere and GB (which was a different company). 

PXL_20220501_065342414.jpg

22 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

Red Diamond Dregs, Red Diamond Top, Green Cashmere, Two Blue Cashmere and GB (which was a different company). 

Great! I love it! 💖

One life!