Kakimori Po (Pigment ink) - Mini review

yazeh

According to Kakimori "A colour tucked away in our hearts. Po is the way we blush when falling in love; the warmth of a face admired from afar." 

Bottle – Curtsey of Kakimori 
01-po_1080x.jpg?v=1636422782

The ink window makes a really nice contrast to the charcoal Safari
large.1070326975_Inkwindow.jpg.380dd37971ed412da93e776783851746.jpg

This is eye searing bright red/ salmon. 
The chroma doesn't show much of a mystery:
large.1758545679_Chroma-Po.jpeg.11df1851e6fbd262d8b62b1eb6825102.jpeg

Tomoe River 68gr
large.2089050231_TR68gr1.jpeg.004454c32fba8b893b4d92852b55dc72.jpeg
In a nutshell: Good for nibs M and above, low lubrication with F/Ef nibs. Long dry times. Nice Shading. Beautiful bottle. 

Midori Note long dry times, with broad but decent with a reverse broad...
large.1802576070_Po-drytimeMidori.jpeg.5db220aff5a86eadd0ef057fe611bdd6.jpeg
Rhodia Kanwrite flex
large.Rhodia.jpeg.8d265fda03ae170c63b157398b7a2495.jpeg

The colour changes depending pen/paper combo. On absorbent paper the colour is pale salmon. 
large.cheap.jpeg.8fe6d69a09382e76f741c7160efbdfc1.jpeglarge.842141718_cheapback.jpeg.febf420aa7eeb685b5c08dd328f1d648.jpeg

This is a good ink for markups, editing, or short notes. But I doubt if you would like to receive a long letter with this ink, unless you like eyes searing inks. 
Photo: (Note: text is a French Renaissance poem, by Clément Janequin, translation follows) 
large.0A276550-581A-4A18-AE80-E28C0D9D22A2_1_201_a.jpeg.618cc428b367dff92a6803dd7bb5d96e.jpeg

Water test: Right side was held on water...
large.Watertest1.jpeg.80deb52c747a4b5a32123d88a7f4497c.jpeg
Comparison / contrast
large.Compariason.jpeg.4cdd0ea6a1a8107ad59701788b18a504.jpeg

• Pens used: Lamy Safrai broad/Kanwrite Ultraflex
• Shading: Depending nib and paper. But yes.  
• Ghosting: Yes on thin papers.
• Bleed through: Same as above.
• Flow Rate: Good
• Lubrication: On the dry side.
• Nib Dry-out: Not noticed
• Start-up: Not noticed
• Saturation: Bright salmon red. 
• Shading Potential: Yes
• Sheen: None
• Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed
• Nib Creep / “Crud”: No
• Staining (pen): I doubt it. 
• Clogging: Only time will say. But none so far. 
• Water resistance: Excellent
• Availability: 30 ml bottles

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• namrehsnoom

• frolic838

Thanks for the great review, @yazeh!  Another bright red - especially in that Safar!  I think I like that Sheaffer Skrip Red better, though. :)

54 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Thanks for the great review, @yazeh!  Another bright red - especially in that Safar!  I think I like that Sheaffer Skrip Red better, though. :)

Thanks @LizEF. I'm not a fan or Skrip Red, as it takes an eternity and day to clean. I'll see how Kakimori fares when it's time to change the pen's diapers :D

I have to admit that flaming red ink bottle can be used as an accent in my messy office.... ;) 

1 minute ago, yazeh said:

I'm not a fan or Skrip Red, as it takes an eternity and day to clean.

Oh, right.  I forgot you'd said that.  Yes, that does put a damper on it.  But the color sure looks nice. :)

1 minute ago, yazeh said:

I'll see how Kakimori fares when it's time to change the pen's diapers :D

:lticaptd:

2 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I have to admit that flaming red ink bottle can be used as an accent in my messy office.... ;) 

Yes, that would definitely stand out.  And if you get bored, you can attach googly eyes to the lid and draw polka dots on it - or something...

3 hours ago, dragondazd said:

I love the ink window shot. Wild!

Isn't it? It's even wilder in person :)

Great review - thank you. Although I like what I see, I don’t see myself using red inks… the only times I use them is for annotating papers/reports. Even so, there’s a fair amount of red in my ink stash, but that’s because I tend to explore complete ink series (including the ones that are not really my thing). I’ve found that searing reds like this one are great mixing candidates with blue inks… there’s often nice violet/lavender purples coming up.

17 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Great review - thank you.

Thanks! Same here. Red inks are tricky. I have to yet find one that I like. 

17 minutes ago, namrehsnoom said:

Although I like what I see, I don’t see myself using red inks… the only times I use them is for annotating papers/reports. Even so, there’s a fair amount of red in my ink stash, but that’s because I tend to explore complete ink series (including the ones that are not really my thing). I’ve found that searing reds like this one are great mixing candidates with blue inks… there’s often nice violet/lavender purples coming up.

Good to know. I haven't been bod enough to do ink mixing. But now, I'm tempted :)

• 1 month later...

This may be an interesting alternative for me since I need a markup ink and something with at least a little character would be fun! Thanks for the review.

I am different.  Let this not alarm you.  ~ Paracelsus

If you're interested in corresponding, let me know!

3 hours ago, frolic838 said:

This may be an interesting alternative for me since I need a markup ink and something with at least a little character would be fun! Thanks for the review.

Most welcome. 🙏

A really good thing about this ink, is that it's easy to clean.