Stub O'Day Part Two

amberleadavis

On 4/22/2022 at 10:11 PM, dragondazd said:

Thanks for the info. Wow those are pretty lines!

The price range is probably too much for me and my wallet. I  might still keep an eye out for any good deals worth a try, or get myself to a pen show (I live near none).

Really it's a matter of luck, and patience.  As I said I just bought the Swan Safety Screw Cap eyedropper complete with Elastoplast on the cap and a nice stub/italic nib for less than £25 delivered.  You might say "A Lucky Find"!

C.

A Lucky Find.jpg

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• amberleadavis

• dms525

• roshpens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the PIF, Amber. This is a fun nib.

71E74ADC-5303-48DA-B45A-95A2204C6D4A.jpeg

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I won an eBay auction for a Pearl Gray J Esterbrook with a 2314-B nib. Once I figure out how to post photos from my gallery area, I’ll start posting photos again here. I’ve gotten some new pens with stub nibs that want to show off.

Posted Image

On 5/1/2022 at 10:43 PM, Misfit said:

I won an eBay auction for a Pearl Gray J Esterbrook with a 2314-B nib. Once I figure out how to post photos from my gallery area, I’ll start posting photos again here. I’ve gotten some new pens with stub nibs that want to show off.

@A Smug Dill has an excellent tutorial.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

That's a neat comparison of the old paper and new paper.  I think the pen is beautiful and I"m glad you enjoying the ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

49 minutes ago, amberleadavis said:

That's a neat comparison of the old paper and new paper.  I think the pen is beautiful and I"m glad you enjoying the ink.

I got the notebook inserts from Paper Penguin on Etsy. It’s a good way to use the regular size Traveler’s Notebook. I do have to take one out of the rubber band for photos.  I figured I’d put Monteverde ink in a Monteverde pen. Of the Monteverde inks I own, Iced Cookie is the only blue leaning ink I have. 

Pity that showing old and new Tomoe will be moot at some point. But for now, it might help someone.  🙂

Posted Image

I mostly like the Monteverde Mountains of the World pens. I’m not sure what they were thinking with the silver end cap, which is not removable. 
large.0A855CC4-BB9D-4B29-AF5B-99D312C5DA66.jpeg.4832e8ed85b50133d23bb182b16146b1.jpeg

Posted Image

That's a beautiful pen, thanks for showing it. I also like the ink. But most of all, thanks for the comparison of the two TR variants - plus a tip on where to find them! Going to follow up soon...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

9 hours ago, Misfit said:

I mostly like the Monteverde Mountains of the World pens. I’m not sure what they were thinking with the silver end cap, which is not removable. 

I like the pattern of this Mountainpen!

You own more of those, @Misfit?

One life!

large.PXL_20220507_013715537.jpg.937917f54814bfb056805f76028b7f6a.jpg

On 4/28/2022 at 9:22 AM, Ted A said:

Thank you for the PIF, Amber. This is a fun nib.

71E74ADC-5303-48DA-B45A-95A2204C6D4A.jpeg

I am glad you are enjoying it!

@Cob

large.20220425_018.jpg.d99f6e8db4036affee7a1144eaff6292.jpg

12 hours ago, InesF said:

I like the pattern of this Mountainpen!

You own more of those, @Misfit?

My first was Kilimanjaro. I’ll be putting ink in it soon. I rinsed the nib last night. I have Vesuvio waiting.  I ordered Everest, but it will be saved to be a Christmas gift maybe. Then last night I ordered K2 and Fuji from a very nice seller in India who worked with his trading partners to get those pens shipped to me. 

I order a lot from Speerbob on eBay. He sells the mountain pens for $45 with free shipping. The MSRP is $90, but some websites show it as $85. I ordered Vesuvio when it was on a really good sale in the mid $30s.  All of them except Kilimanjaro were ordered with stub nibs. Kilimanjaro was a gift several years ago.  

The question I’m asking myself is if I’ll weaken to get the Black Mountains pen.  The Black Mountains are in North Carolina, according to Wikipedia “part of the Blue Ridge Provence of the southern Appalachian mountains.” It’s the tallest on the East Coast, at 6,684 feet.  The pen is mostly black, with black trim and nib. 

To me, the earlier MOTW pens are closer to the real mountains in appearance, and the nicest looking. I can hardly wait to see K2 in person. Oh the neat part of my Denali pen is the top of the cap. To me it’s the summit.  

Posted Image

12 hours ago, mhguda said:

That's a beautiful pen, thanks for showing it. I also like the ink. But most of all, thanks for the comparison of the two TR variants - plus a tip on where to find them! Going to follow up soon...

I was looking at the Etsy shop last night, and didn’t see TR paper. The seller is excellent at answering questions, so I’d suggest asking her when she would have more TR paper. She has the Cosmo Air paper, which is a contender to “replace” TR paper. She has a sample set that costs $1.25.  It does not include TR paper. 

Posted Image

I did a search for TR paper notebooks on Etsy, and while your seller did not come up, I found several. Have not yet bitten the bullet, but I'm guessing I will soon. I really want to put a pen on that new 52gsm stuff.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

1 hour ago, mhguda said:

I did a search for TR paper notebooks on Etsy, and while your seller did not come up, I found several. Have not yet bitten the bullet, but I'm guessing I will soon. I really want to put a pen on that new 52gsm stuff.

I’ve noticed that the Seven Seas Writer notebook is out there with new TR paper. But that is more of a commitment. 

Posted Image

Another Mountain pen with stub nib, and the book it inspired me to check out. 
Old Tomoe paper is on the  left, with new TR on the right. 

large.EE473B36-D5FB-47EA-8491-2574C626ADF8.jpeg.4a8dafcbeb5952d441440980347abf58.jpeglarge.6A1DCD8A-337D-4410-89D4-61C1D7E22159.jpeg.27cbdf002bf85c2fb34ce05b215b528d.jpeg

Posted Image

16 hours ago, Misfit said:

My first was Kilimanjaro. I’ll be putting ink in it soon. I rinsed the nib last night. I have Vesuvio waiting.  I ordered Everest, but it will be saved to be a Christmas gift maybe. Then last night I ordered K2 and Fuji from a very nice seller in India who worked with his trading partners to get those pens shipped to me. 

All the 8k peaks in 6 month ...

(wasn't this a movie?)

One life!

6 hours ago, InesF said:

All the 8k peaks in 6 month ...

(wasn't this a movie?)

Probably. I don’t know if they ever made a pen for Aconcagua. I searched, but didn’t find anything pen-wise. 

Posted Image