Namiki Emperor #50 nib

mke

A question regarding the linesize written by a Namiki Emperor #50 F nib compared to a Custom 743/823 F.

Are they identical? (same paper, same ink)

Or is it different as with the Sailor KoP M/ 1911L M pair?  

Thank you.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• NeverTapOut

• gerigo

• TitoThePencilPimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I own a Namiki Emperor #50 in F. It writes a true western Fine to me.

I also own a custom 823, but it has FA nib. I write with very little pressure, and the line widths are similar.

My Sailor 1911 F (both 14k/21k) writes a bit thinner.

6 hours ago, arcfide said:

I would check out the Nib Nook by Goulet Pens and see the differences there. 

Thanks, I will look at it. I eventually find some pens which I have to compare.

1 hour ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

It writes a true western Fine to me.

Thank you. If it is really so, it would be too broad for my taste. I guess I need to find a shop where I can test it.

When I asked at Maruzen, they didn't want to allow it. Actually, I would have not bought it there anyway. The pen on display was not moved for over a year, as it seemed. I don't want to buy such an expensive pen from an illuminated display box.

Eventually, need to write to Pilot directly. But, I have not yet asked at Shosaikan or Itoya. That will come first.

2 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

My Sailor 1911 F (both 14k/21k) writes a bit thinner.

That should be quite a bit thinner if the Namiki writes like a Western F.

My own experiences are approximately, give or take a little bit:

Western F = Sailor M

Western EF =  Sailor/Pilot F

Western XXF (fpnibs.com) = Sailor EF

My most favorable size lies between Western XXF and EF. That size is unfortunately only available with Hongdian EF pens.

2 hours ago, mke said:

Thank you. If it is really so, it would be too broad for my taste. I guess I need to find a shop where I can test it.

When I asked at Maruzen, they didn't want to allow it. Actually, I would have not bought it there anyway. The pen on display was not moved for over a year, as it seemed. I don't want to buy such an expensive pen from an illuminated display box.

Eventually, need to write to Pilot directly. But, I have not yet asked at Shosaikan or Itoya. That will come first.

Western F = Sailor M

My most favorable size lies between Western XXF and EF. That size is unfortunately only available with Hongdian EF pens.

Try Itoya. I purchased all my expensive Namiki's from there, and they have always allowed me to test the Emperor, the Yukari Royale and the Yukari. I have not purchased really expensive pens from Maruzen because in those days, they did not do sales tax returns, which is not the case today.
As for the fine, remember the filling system and feed is vastly different than their other pens so probably the reason why they have never had a true F, only FM. It might be too wide for you.

22 hours ago, mke said:

Western F = Sailor M

MKE...It seems we like the same nib size. I am going to order a F/M. Once the pen arrives i will dip it to see how I like the pen and how it writes. Then I am going to send it the next day to a nibmeister here in the states to adjust ink flow and grind the pen to a Japanese EF or EEF slightly finer than 0.02mm. I might just go to a Japanese F and get an architect grind. Dennis who owns Lcdc in the Netherlands said the F/M is a "standard European F (not being Pelikan of course)." I would trust what he says because he ownes a the pen store, he owns the pen and it is his favorite pen. My point is I'm not "test driving" the pen. I am going into it knowing probably I will be getting nib work done to the pen...unless I like the way it writes when I dip it.

When are you buying yours?

Regards,

David

Thanks everyone. You gave a lot of good insights.

A standard European F is of course a little bit too broad - I want to use it everyday, if I buy it. I would probably settle for a Sailor/Pilot F (1911/Custom 823).

Anyway, I will wait a bit more until hopefully, the pandemic retreats. Then I will visit a number of shops in Tokyo to inquire about this pen and discuss with some knowledgeable shop owners. 

@NeverTapOut

You need to try a Hongdian pen. Their EF nibs are great. I bought these pens mostly because of their EF nib: 

http://mkepens.blogspot.com/2022/02/slimming-down.html (Scroll down to the Hongdian pens.)

On 4/21/2022 at 5:23 PM, NeverTapOut said:

I am going to order a F/M.

I just checked with a shop in Tokyo. The Emperor can have F, FM, M or B.

Unfortunately, they let me only test writing using water.

Next month, I will have a look.

If I buy that pen, there will be a number of pens available for sale:

two Pelikan M1000, a Sailor KoP, two Montblanc 149, a Lotus Dodeca, a Lotus Virat, a YOL Viceroy Grand - as I plan to use that pen all the time.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2022 at 3:51 AM, mke said:

I just checked with a shop in Tokyo. The Emperor can have F, FM, M or B.

Unfortunately, they let me only test writing using water.

Next month, I will have a look.

If I buy that pen, there will be a number of pens available for sale:

two Pelikan M1000, a Sailor KoP, two Montblanc 149, a Lotus Dodeca, a Lotus Virat, a YOL Viceroy Grand - as I plan to use that pen all the time.

Mke...That is interesting that The Emperor in Japan comes in a F nib and here in the States the smallest nib size is a FM.

Also you can only "test drive" it using water. Maybe they dip it in Pelikan Royal Blue or Namiki Blue and hand it over to you. Both inks clean easily with water.

David

mke,

Don't forget Eurobox, Fujii San has many new and second hand pens all available for testing (with ink).

On 5/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, NeverTapOut said:

The Emperor in Japan comes in a F nib

I think they mean the Makie-Emperors but not the Urushi-Emperors. I will see that when I visit the stores in Tokyo.

@Pen_Padawan

Thank you. Yes, I should not forget.

Thanks guys this is a very informative thread. I don't mean to hijack the thread.

I have been collecting MB 149's for years and it is basically the only pen I own. I would get the nibs ground down to needlepoints on some.

I have them all sold.

I purchased a Nakaya 17mm portable in an EF nib 3 months ago.

Now the hard part...I can't decide to go with the Emperor or the Royale. I can't test them and each has a loyal following.

What is the downside to either pen?

I think I just want 3-4 pens in my collection and that is it.

Also, The Sailor KOP M is comperable to what nib size?

Thanks for all the help.

David

On 6/7/2022 at 11:26 AM, NeverTapOut said:

Thanks guys this is a very informative thread. I don't mean to hijack the thread.

I have been collecting MB 149's for years and it is basically the only pen I own. I would get the nibs ground down to needlepoints on some.

I have them all sold.

Now the hard part...I can't decide to go with the Emperor or the Royale. I can't test them and each has a loyal following.

Thanks for all the help.

David

Much has been written comparing the Emperor and the Royale. #50 (Emperor if maki-e) is a large long pen with a long nib. #20 (Yukari Royale if maki-e is an oversized pen made from brass so heavier than it would otherwise seem. Nearly perfect balance. For most folks the #20 seems to be a better writing experience. The 149 has a fairly long nib. Maybe you will prefer the #50. Only medium/fine nibs are available on the narrow end so to get needle point ground by a nibmeister. 

Sailor KOP M is comparable to Western fine. Long nib like the 149.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:56 AM, NeverTapOut said:

I have them all sold.

Thanks for all the help.

David

Hi David,

The narrowest part of the section on the #50 measures 3.5cm to the nib tip which may be a deal breaker depending on your hand size and where on the section a user places the grip. Another determinant of writing comfort is the girth of the #50’s narrowest part of the section. I have large hands, but find the Yukari Royale a much more comfortable pen for longer writing sessions. If you’ve tried the Nakaya Dorsal Fin which has a girthy section and found it uncomfortable - I wouldn’t recommend the #50.

FF2B8B0D-A371-433B-BC6D-CF3338176F94.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

So, I went ahead and purchased my 3rd Namiki 50 urushi just last week. This time in black and with a medium nib. With my other 2 crimson models, I now have all of the nib sizes the Namiki 50 comes in and would have to say the medium is an everyday nib that is a joy to use.
A few weeks prior, my hmm... drug pen dealer of choice showed me this year's yukari limited edition, and that promptly came home with me. While I have been using the Emperor almost non-stop, and the Namiki 50's are among my most favored pens, secretly the giant nib completely throws my grip off, and I find the Yukari to be the PERFECT everyday writer.