Hongdian cartridges

They are not "international", aren't they.

Tried to use one with a Jinhao X450 - doesn't fit.

Very nice black, btw.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• Dan Carmell

• A Smug Dill

• J120

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, J120 said:

$11.99 set of 30 in 11 colors on amazon 

That is not bad. In Japan, offers on Amazon are much more expensive. And, as most are coming directly from China, buying on Aliexpress makes more sense.

I saw there are a number of other "brands" serving the 3.4mm size - at least on Aliexpress - typically $1 for 10 pieces.

Hongdian certainly outsourced the production too, so it might be the same ink.

I think the majority of the known brands are getting their ink from the same manufacturer and just putting their labels on the product. The Hongdian listing in Amazon shows the exact same ink for Asvine and Hongdian, just with different logos. No shame but the ink is good

5 hours ago, J120 said:

I think the majority of the known brands are getting their ink from the same manufacturer and just putting their labels on the product. The Hongdian listing in Amazon shows the exact same ink for Asvine and Hongdian, just with different logos. No shame but the ink is good

Will sellers on AliExpress send ink in bottles to the US? I sometimes see ‘not available for shipment’ so I haven’t looked further. Given the ridiculous prices of US/European inks now, I’d be tempted to try a few colors, even with the over abundance of inks I already have

5 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

Given the ridiculous prices of US/European inks now

I doubt Chinese sellers will do because only Fedex or UPS recently accepted a shipment of inks from me.

At that time DHL didn't but I think I got my last shipment fom The Netherlands by DHL.

It requires additional forms to be filled out. Don't know if the Aliexpress sellers want to get into that trouble. Especially, there are good chances that it is returned to them.

Octopus Fluid inks from Germany are around 15 Euro per 250 ml. 

http://mkepens.blogspot.com/2019/05/more-inks-from-germany.html

They shipped a bunch - let's say all they sell - by UPS to me. 

Otherwise, I consider Waterman inks to be cheap - especially, if bought at LCdC.

1 hour ago, mke said:

Octopus Fluid inks from Germany are around 15 Euro per 250 ml. 

http://mkepens.blogspot.com/2019/05/more-inks-from-germany.html

They shipped a bunch - let's say all they sell - by UPS to me. 

Otherwise, I consider Waterman inks to be cheap - especially, if bought at LCdC.

That makes perfect sense about ink coming from China, thank you. 

250 ml, yes a very good price! My question was mostly out of curiosity. If I never buy another bottle of ink, I doubt I’ll use what I have now. 

I haven’t tried or looked at the Waterman inks since the new color line was introduced but I still have two precious bottles of Havana, one of my favorite browns. 

From everything I’ve seen, Waterman only changed the names on their inks. The colors are the same as the ones with the old names

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

31 minutes ago, Ted A said:

From everything I’ve seen, Waterman only changed the names on their inks. The colors are the same as the ones with the old names

Thank you, that’s awesome news! I better spend some time in the ink forum catching up on news. Poor Waterman, though, so diminished, even from the prime Jif days. Those color names don’t exactly fire the imagination. 

11 hours ago, Dan Carmell said:

Will sellers on AliExpress send ink in bottles to the US? I sometimes see ‘not available for shipment’ so I haven’t looked further.

Some will. The core issue is that Chinese postal regulations prohibit shipping of liquids in any type of container and/or volume to destinations outside China; and many well-known international delivery services also refuse carriage of liquids out of China, although I don't know whether they are prohibit by the government there from doing so. So, either the seller attempts to sneak your order of bottled inks out through normal channels, and risk having the items rejected and returned by Customs, or worse still confiscated and trashed; or it has to send it via a very limited selection of non-mainstream delivery services or occasionally overseas warehouses. (I've had shipments of ink ordered from AliExpress sellers come via Russia-then-Netherlands, Vietnam, etc.) The AliExpress sellers who will agree to ship bottled inks to Australian and US delivery address will charge extra for it to cover its costs and/or risks, to the extent that the shipping charges may well eclipse the item prices for the inks on order.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hero standard seems to be well adopted by most Chinese manufacturers, Hongdian appears to one of those. The Hero standard also seems to be the only one that allows for refilling and re-sealing by the user.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

45 minutes ago, mke said:

I didn't know that it is a Hero standard.

Because it isn't one that was started by, or otherwise owned by, the Hero brand or its manufacturer, as far as I'm aware. There are two dominant quasi-standards across the vast majority of c/c-filled fountain pen models with Chinese brands: 2.6mm-bore, and 3.4mm-bore. Some brands (e.g. Jinhao) even use both of these, in different pen models. The ~2.4mm-bore ‘international standard’ has a small presence in very, very distant third place in the Chinese fountain pen landscape, mainly only in use in pen models with Schmidt #5 nib units.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

the Hero brand or its manufacturer, as far as I'm aware

So, who used it before?

Standards are rarely "owned" by some parties, few exceptions exist -  Fraunhofer's mp3 being one.

Often they are just attributed to the most vocal party or to the one making it popular - see table of elements and Mendeleev or the Walkman and Sony.

So if Hero made that one format popular by using it, then why not naming it a "Hero standard"? Especially if the "inventors" are unknown.

6 hours ago, mke said:

Standards are rarely "owned" by some parties, few exceptions exist -  Fraunhofer's mp3 being one.

Portable Document Format (PDF), now ratified as the ISO 32000 standard, was Adobe's proprietary format (that it owned and over which it had intellectual property rights) until the company released the specification by way of a Public Patent License in 2008 for all to freely use. Even prior to that event, there were non-Adobe software applications that produced PDF files as output (at least as one of the options). Nobody is going to argue that PDF was an Adobe standard; but today it is just PDF, being an open standard, known by its proper name independent of Adobe.

Just about everybody these days knows what a Lightning cable is, and there are multiple manufacturers making Lightning cables, connectors, and port adaptors and selling those products in the market, with or without MFI certification by Apple. That is an Apple standard, protected by a patent; and no other brand of personal electronic device uses the Lightning connector for charging or data transfer cabling.

2.6mm-bore and 3.4mm-bore ink cartridges and converters, for which there are no other specifications or constraints as to the external diameter, total length, other details of physical geometry, (only for converters) filling mechanism, etc. are nobody's standard, but just uncontrolled formats that any company can use for all, some, or any of its products. If HongDian chooses to use 3.4mm-bore converters in all of its c/c-filled models as one of the company's standard design parameters, you could possibly claim that it is the HongDian standard within the narrow scope of only what is HongDian-branded. You can't reasonably claim that is a Hero standard, however, because Hero never owned a patent for it, or published that as a specification with copyright, or claimed to be the originator of the format; and Hero c/c-fillers do not all use 3.4mm-bore converters. Even though, unlike HongDian, Hero does not make a habit of putting the converter bore in the product specifications in its marketing collateral, according to product listings on Taobao and Etsy, etc., Hero models 100 with 14K gold nib50207053, 9377A02A, and whatever the hell this ‘student pen’ model is, use 2.6mm-bore cartridges and converters, while models 359, 359A, 362A, 709, 1088, H601, etc. use 3.4mm-bore cartridges and converters. So 3.4mm-bore is also not a Hero standard across its c/c-filler models.

Hero itself produces three types of ink cartridges as retail products, two of which are 2.6mm-bore and the other 3.4mm-bore, to suit its pen models.

O1CN016krn142DuRywZ0nML_!!1712408669.jpg

Source: Hero flagship store (i.e. official store) product listing on Taobao

6 hours ago, mke said:

So if Hero made that one format popular by using it, then why not naming it a "Hero standard"? Especially if the "inventors" are unknown.

Because 2.6mm-bore and 3.4mm-bore is perfectly fine and adequate, without implicitly containing any misinformation. There is absolutely no reason or justification for naming it a “Hero standard” even if it makes it easier to remember or more comfortable to say for some individual. We're talking about standards, not personal preferences here.

Is there any way to tell if a pen requires a 2.4, 2.6 or 3.4? And is there any way to tell which size a cartridge is?

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire