Hongdian 100 14K Ebonite Piston Filler

J120

The silver color one is a lot prettier (less gaudy).  But the question I have is what the weight capped/posted is, because I don't like heavy pens (a friend gave my husband a Hongdian -- forget what the model is -- and it's even heavier than the Monteverde Strata she gave me, which Truphae Pens,where I think she got it from, said is about 40 grams capped).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J120

• Mech-for-i

• mke

• A Smug Dill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, now that I've had it inked and writing with it for a week or so I can give some initial impression 

- the section is actually brushed and the finish is somewhat satin , not chrome like.

- the nib is typical Hongdain , nothing new to report here

- the nib unit unscrew and no.6 generally fit , was thinking about a Bock Titanium as the final setup

- it's heavy at almost 49g and even without the cap it's 28g+ , yes it do post securely

- not sure about it's price elsewhere but in it's home market it's actually cheaper than N1 N1S N6 & N7 , for the price that is a lot to had

- mine do come with the piston tool and 2 different instruction booklet , one is about general fountain pen , the other specific to the upkeep of the piston

- I suppose it.must be the weight , it just write with easier effort than the other Hongdain I had

Really another winner from the Mfr. I might end up getting a 2nd or third , I like the way the metal are finished , the brushed section and the knurling on the piston knob all contributed to tactile feedback, positively.

• 3 weeks later...

The silver-colored one is available now on Hongdian's Aliexpress shop. 14 more available.

If you want to spend a bit of money in addition to the #100, there is also the LT Hongdian 928 Three Generations of Koi Fountain Pen with a hooded 14K. 19 to go.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:40 AM, J120 said:

BUY IT

I couldn't let pass the chance to get one. As I am not more regularly checking the usual places, I bought it a bit more expensive, i.e. directly at HD. Ebay would have been $4-5 cheaper. Fortunately, they had a (minor %) off coupon.

On 7/22/2022 at 9:40 AM, J120 said:

Very impressive. BUY IT.

I have received it meanwhile and I second this statement. If no problems occur later, then this pen is one of my better buys.

Well guys, I bite the bullet for $31.19.  Makes my 4th HongDian pen, and hoping it

writes as smooth as my other three.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:48 AM, inkstainedruth said:

(a friend gave my husband a Hongdian -- forget what the model is -- and it's even heavier than the Monteverde Strata she gave me, which Truphae Pens,where I think she got it from, said is about 40 grams capped)

Sounds like the Otto Hong Design 07 with 49g capped.

This one here (Hongdian 100, silver-color) is also 49g - inked.

On 8/6/2022 at 8:10 AM, Helen350 said:

not 14k

The 14k nib is probably only available with the pen from the original post.

My silver-coloured one arrived today - just a heads-up for anyone else: do check the bubble wrap for the piston tool as I was just about to toss the wrap in the rubbish when I noticed a dark shadow, which turned out to be the tool in a little zip baggie!

On 8/9/2022 at 11:04 AM, garyc said:

My silver-coloured one arrived today - just a heads-up for anyone else: do check the bubble wrap for the piston tool as I was just about to toss the wrap in the rubbish when I noticed a dark shadow, which turned out to be the tool in a little zip baggie!

Good point.  I almost threw my pen tool out for that same reason.  Fortunately, I decided to

check to make sure and there it was stuffed deeper down in the bubble wrap.

Reporting back here , just finish my 3rd fill of this pen , first two only for testing, running in the nib , take only a day to do it then 3rd is just daily use and daily practice of my lousy penmanship, so far everything work fine , the nib do improve over time but not as apparently so as some others

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 4:15 AM, Dan Carmell said:

All steel is easier on my eye, but I think it would have been neat to keep the enameled red star on that wavy edged clip. Just one spot of color!

On 7/3/2022 at 4:24 AM, J120 said:

Happy they kept the Red Star on the cap.

I guess they ran out of the first batch of cap finials left over from the premium, gold-nibbed Iron Man version of the pen, so now we have a full-on War Machine version?

large.780190675_HongDian100-IronManandWarMachine.jpg.d4b673993c0b7593256ec4b0b1b1a014.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 10 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:05 PM, A Smug Dill said:

I guess they ran out of the first batch of cap finials left over from the premium, gold-nibbed Iron Man version of the pen, so now we have a full-on War Machine version?

large.780190675_HongDian100-IronManandWarMachine.jpg.d4b673993c0b7593256ec4b0b1b1a014.jpg

A bummer that they changed the cap finial as I thought the pop of color at the top was a nice touch. I ordered one and got the silver finial, which looks fine but has less character. 

I got this with a long knife nib and it is my current favorite pen. The nib is extremely smooth and wet right out of the box, no tuning necessary, and the specialty grind makes even my poor handwriting look fancy. I filled it with Baystate Blue and the weight and feel of the pen combined with the varying line widths really makes the whole experience feel upscale and premium. It is the heaviest pen I own by far and I have to use it unposted for longer writing  sessions even though it does post securely. I really adore this pen. 

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.” 

-Groucho Marx