Chart of Vintage Pelikan Nib Choices

OCArt

(I wish I could attribute the source but I don't know where I found this)

3316176_PelikanNibs.thumb.png.58bb0163089cfb230201676985d8eefb.png

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stoen

• Bo Bo Olson

• Inkysloth

• OCArt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seems to br the second or perhaps the third revision of the Pelikan nib grades list, I believe from the era of later 100 (1936-44) and 100N (1937-54), since Pelikan established its own in-house nib production. Early model 400s (1949-53) also used this nib grading and naming convention.

It is covered here:

https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Nibs/Nibs/index.html

• 4 months later...

Here’s one of the earliest Pelikan nib grind chart that I came across, for Pelikan 100 ( 1xx ), from the 1932 wholesale catalog:

609FD919-14B6-4457-865D-8E5ABC32DEB1.jpeg.c3f9c6c04bffe8174d0f83d93dfcb592.jpeg

It lists Available nib tips:

Most of what is written can also be understood in English without translation.

The size S stands for monolinear script (without line width variation).

The size R stands for rounded script.

H stands for the extra hard option.

D stands for manifold (pressure copy) nibs.

All O nibs are left-oblique.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, stoen said:

The size R stands for rounded script.

I may be wrong, but I thought that was roundhand, which include the scripts that square-edged nibs are used for. William Mitchell square-edged dip nibs are still sold as roundhand nibs.

A picture of an R nib would clarify, if anyone has one. 

Instagram @inkysloth

On 9/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, Inkysloth said:

A picture of an R nib would clarify, if anyone has one. 

That would be great, indeed!

Considering those nibs must be pretty rare, among the already scarce Pelikan 100s which still exist nowadays.

As for rounded script, in German it is a “script with pronounced roundings” (Schriftart mit betonten Rundungen), AFAIK. This may be what’s called roundhand in English (analogy to Kurzschrift = shorthand).

Please also observe that, at some point “R” began to stand for  the right oblique nibs (rechtsschräge Spitze).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

…and here’s the first known

Pelikan Nib Chart

from 1929/1930:

F29EA01A-CE4F-495E-9CD6-214232014000.jpeg.dc491ca42f12ea8b9f76f6f13a1e8a21.jpeg

This hopefully completes the nib chart list set for vintage Pelikan pens between 1929 & 1965 within a simple, informative and comprehensive FPN thread.

• 3 months later...

In the 1963 Pelikan catalogue the nib grind type and naming got again redefined for the variety of pen models having been produced at that time:

ECC372B1-0352-4FED-BCCF-E49A13780FCE.thumb.jpeg.3332822a2917594eeacb417f7c597099.jpeg

• 2 months later...

As requested, deleted. To far from OP's direction.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:11 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

I doubt if my 400nn KF, is a round hand nib....it is not the round nib (American Bump Under of a Geha school pen FK )

With due respect, in no vintage Pelikan nib chart (most of which can be found within this thread) there is any kind of evidence that K was ever used as designation for a roundhand nib (German: Rundschrift) - from the original 1929 hearthole nib to 1962 400NN nibs, it was only used for designating ball-shaped nib tips. 

Here’s a piece of first-hand evidence: a hearthole nib with its ball-shaped tip and K designation:

F7AA2396-8A5C-41C0-AAFF-F9E0A62217F7.jpeg.bf1fb5c34b843b16b69f40d7b782e62c.jpeg

As for the roundhand script nibs, they have most likely been marketed only between 1932 and 1936, carrying the designation R (RB, RBB).

As confusing as this may appear to the reader, the same signs have been re-designated right oblique (German: Rechtschräg) between 1937 and 1954.

As of 1937 it looks like no one in GW seemed to care for roundhand script nibs anymore. Probably…

As of 1963, K designation disappeared altogether: all the EF, F and M nibs were ground with ball shaped tips by default, until the termination of 400/140 models production in 1965.

as requested, deleted

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.