Stolen Visconti Divina Commedia

terim

Hello-

We were recently a victim of credit card fraud and we lost this lovely Visconti ...

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/visconti-la-divina-commedia-limited-edition-fountain-pen-31-388-antique-celluloid-w-vermeil-power-filler-18k-stub-nib-mint-in-box-works-well.html

If you happen to be offered the pen, and the serial number is #31, please know that it was stolen from us by someone in Canada using a fraudulent credit card. 

Thanks!

TERI

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• Paul-in-SF

• jchch1950

• Seney724

So sorry to hear that. I'm not likely to be buying one of those, but I hope those who are will keep their eyes peeled and their wits about them. 

13 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

So sorry to hear that. I'm not likely to be buying one of those, but I hope those who are will keep their eyes peeled and their wits about them. 

Thanks, Paul!  It just kind of occurred to me that someone might be researching the model, and spot this post.

If one of us runs across this stolen pen, for sale or in some other way, what would you like us to do? Do you have any recourse, if you can positively identify the pen (especially when they may be in a foreign country)? I hope so.

2 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

If one of us runs across this stolen pen, for sale or in some other way, what would you like us to do? Do you have any recourse, if you can positively identify the pen (especially when they may be in a foreign country)? I hope so.

My question, exactly.  What guidance or advice about to how to proceed if one of us happens to run across it?

Sorry you had this happen to you Teri, it's awful.

Shameful . The Divina Commedia is a beautiful pen. The FPN readers and members should be alert in case it is for sale somewhere.

Wow.  That really sucks.  Have you (or the owner of the credit card) contacted the police and the credit card company?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I’m curious as to how this happened.  Were you selling the pen and someone bought it with a stolen card?  If so, didn’t you have to send the pen to a certain address?  Not sure why I think that matters…someone got a hold of my mom’s credit card numbers, somehow opened a PayPal account with it, and obviously the person who was using her card to shop had an address to ship things to…but I think fraud like this is so widespread, there just isn’t enough manpower to track down and charge every person who is doing it.  Such a shame.  

20 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Hi Paul-

Nah, I doubt if there's anything I can do even if the pen does surface. I wouldn't want anyone to get involved, other than to say "Gee, there's a post about that pen on FPN."

If someone buys it, they should know the provenance, maybe that will tarnish the resale value. Or make them think twice before buying more pens from the seller.

Thanks!

TERI

59 minutes ago, Geslina said:

I’m curious as to how this happened.  Were you selling the pen and someone bought it with a stolen card?  If so, didn’t you have to send the pen to a certain address?  Not sure why I think that matters…someone got a hold of my mom’s credit card numbers, somehow opened a PayPal account with it, and obviously the person who was using her card to shop had an address to ship things to…but I think fraud like this is so widespread, there just isn’t enough manpower to track down and charge every person who is doing it.  Such a shame.  

Yes, the pen was purchased off the website using an apparently stolen credit card, as the chargeback reason was "fraud." Yes, it was shipped to an address in Canada and DHL obtained signature, but this doesn't really hold up when it comes to chargebacks.

18 hours ago, Seney724 said:

My question, exactly.  What guidance or advice about to how to proceed if one of us happens to run across it?

Sorry you had this happen to you Teri, it's awful.

Just say "Hmmm, I think I read a post about that pen on FPN."  And of course I'd love to hear from anyone who saw the pen.

2 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Wow.  That really sucks.  Have you (or the owner of the credit card) contacted the police and the credit card company?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I doubt if there's anything for me to do since it shipped to Canada. If it had been in the USA I might have sent a feeler out to the local police department. But I think this happens a lot (not to us, thankfully!), and I regard it as one of the costs of doing business.

• 4 weeks later...

I am really sorry for the lost; absolutely horrid.

Who steals from small businesses, fountain pen ones at that?!

Perhaps notes should be shared among the retailers.

The timing and location of these scams is oddly coincidental.

Another scam in Canada, Montreal 

relevant thread and another mention of another retailer

Bad news starts at the beginning of 02:45 ...

We do participate in a closed forum of dealers on Facebook specifically designed to share info on frauds and scams. I contacted Yoseka and asked if they'd like to be invited to join, but have not heard back from them yet.

So sorry (and mad) to hear about this!  These are really difficult to find, and I wish I hadn't sold mine years ago.