New Pelikan Color; M605 Tortoise & Black

OCArt

5 hours ago, N1003U said:

I am convinced this pen is going to be very good-looking,

Me too! But I am not convinced even the EF nib will write finely and crisply enough for my liking, and since sending it to a local nibmeister for after-market nib customisation work is out of the question, I'll pass.

I went into a bricks-and-mortar department store a couple of weeks ago, and saw that they had a Pelikan M605 Stresemann in the display cabinet, so I asked to have a look at it and eyeball the nib tipping closely. Sadly, nope, it wouldn't do.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carola

• Intensity

• N1003U

• sirgilbert357

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/6/2022 at 1:12 AM, A Smug Dill said:

Me too! But I am not convinced even the EF nib will write finely and crisply enough for my liking, and since sending it to a local nibmeister for after-market nib customisation work is out of the question, I'll pass.

I went into a bricks-and-mortar department store a couple of weeks ago, and saw that they had a Pelikan M605 Stresemann in the display cabinet, so I asked to have a look at it and eyeball the nib tipping closely. Sadly, nope, it wouldn't do.

I am mostly in agreement with these sentiments. When I need to write finely and crisply, I have a few Pliots and a couple of Sailors that do just fine.

My Pelikans have a somewhat different mission. When I want larger and more expressively, the Pelikans do just fine. I am also a sucker for the Pelikan styling and piston fillers, and the M6xx in particular has excellent size and light weight and a nearly perfect balance for may hand, so my flock continues to grow. This tortoise will be attractive, I think. The red tortoise is gorgeous to my eye, and this one in neutral tones will make for a nice change-up.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:20 AM, N1003U said:

I have added a couple of M101Ns to my flock in recent times, and I have come to appreciate them very much, but my first love is still the M600.

I think this one will be a nice addition to the flock.

I looked at the images repeatedly throughout the week. Joshua's article also swayed me to preordering.

Looking forward to it. 

Maybe one day Pelikan will decide to introduce the D series, instead of the K series, to accompany their special editions. But this is highly unlikely.

9 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I looked at the images repeatedly throughout the week. Joshua's article also swayed me to preordering.

Looking forward to it. 

Maybe one day Pelikan will decide to introduce the D series, instead of the K series, to accompany their special editions. But this is highly unlikely.

Yes, pencils seem to be much less popular than they once were.

• 2 weeks later...

The price is a bit high for the nib quality imo

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

18 hours ago, Calabria said:

The price is a bit high for the nib quality imo

I see Pelikan’s gold nibs as excellent canvas for custom grinds.  Two of my most favorite pens and nibs are my Pelikan M101Ns: one F and one M.  Both have flex mod by Gena Solerino and custom cursive italic grinds by others.  Absolutely fantastic to write with, beautiful to look at, smooth piston action, don’t dry out.  Also loved my M800 with IB nib turned super broad crisp cursive italic.  Currently using a stock Fine M600 Red Tortoiseshell and trying to decide if I should keep it at stock or not.  I got lucky with this nib; it writes perfectly in both orientations and fairly finely too, around Sailor MF.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

On 5/17/2022 at 12:58 PM, Intensity said:

I see Pelikan’s gold nibs as excellent canvas for custom grinds.  

For sure, but that adds to the cost. All of my Pelikans write well, I just think they could give more attention to the nib at that price level. 

I mostly buy pens because of the uniqueness of the nibs so have started to pass on current Pelikans. Their earlier nibs btw are stellar.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Hi all, mine arrived today - here's some real world pictures straight out of the box. [I apologise for the dust]

Pretty pleased with how it looks. It's a very slightly blue grey next to something more neutral (see the second picture with the M805 and M815 for comparison).

As far as I can tell there's no translucency at all, iphone torch doesn't show through even when the barrel was completely empty. As for the nib seems fairly normal for current Pelikans and writes well (for me at least!)

_5DS7588.thumb.jpg.fc1f02f03bad91b9ccd1902f5a096cd9.jpg_5DS7591.thumb.jpg.f26db63a08d1fe30e017d571f7a30cb8.jpg_5DS7579.thumb.jpg.c1c0742d52376500919319f9306c1379.jpg

Lovely bird. This is the first picture I have seen in the wild.

2 hours ago, bbs said:

Thanks, that is a great video!

Agreed. Beautiful pen. I've taken a long break from new pens but I might have to have this one!

I’m very glad that the blue hues shown on promo pictures do make an appearance in the final production pen.  I like how the video review makes a comparison with the stresemann model in a detailed manner.  The two are quite different, though indeed complementary.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

More photos in this reddit post, including one next to a Stresemann:

I am going to see this pen tomorrow, live and in colour. Got a notification from the brick and mortar store today it is in stock now and put aside especially for me.

I received mine today and am happy to say it is more beautiful than expected with nice variation. In the sunlight I could see a tad of other colors where the ribbons of the material are curved (like pink), but maybe it was also wishful thinking that the grey stripes resemble abalone ;)