New Pelikan Color; M605 Tortoise & Black

OCArt

This is a really beauty. It’s been a long time since I have been impressed by a new Pelikan release, this one might be the next one for me. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carola

• Intensity

• N1003U

• sansenri

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

Brown?? I don't see any brown in the pics. I thought the "tortoise" name is used more to describe the variations and striations in the binde?

This looks straight black and silver to me. Which, if it is, was a brilliant move and will likely sell like hotcakes.

I'd be interested if they made it in an M805...

Isn’t the 805 Stresseman basically a larger version of the same finish?

4 minutes ago, stric75 said:

Isn’t the 805 Stresseman basically a larger version of the same finish?

No it isn't.

If you can't tell by looking at these initial pics, just wait -- someone will inevitably do a side by side comparison.

7 hours ago, sansenri said:

we will have to see the real thing to understand whether there will be any transparency

I am planning on asking my brick and mortar store to get one so I can have a close look (and maybe buy it).

... and I did just that today. They promised me to order one (with a B-nib of course) for me to take a close look and buy it if I like it. And they will call me as soon as they get it.

18 hours ago, sirgilbert357 said:

The Streseman was beautiful, but I never bought one. I think this blows the Streseman away...

They are easily different enough to have both. Same thing with the brown special edition M800 tortoise and the recent Brown Black Special Edition.

I think they are, the Stresemann seems to show more rigour, with those perfect stripes, this new one aims at more eye catching reflections, as far as I can guess from one single image (which is likely a rendering anyway)...

I find M600s to be a nice size for me, anyway

large.1222068943_P1190131-3Pelikan605Stresemann.jpg.d9afc320d2f0243890add87483760092.jpg

I was expecting and hoping for a multi-colored tortoise finish, like the red tortoise...so I'm a little disappointed. I can't deny it's elegant though, and I'll probably jump on the bandwagon when it comes out.  I enjoy playing detective and recognizing when companies use similar materials...here it looks like Pelikan has made stripes out of the same grey material as the m101n grey-blue maybe. Prettier in this version. 

Cult has it priced at $399.40.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 4/14/2022 at 3:07 PM, sansenri said:

yes it does sort of look like a Stresemann but with the irregular stripes of the tortoiseshell (but in monotone grey-black colour)

It does look rather nice and is now on my radar too

so much for Pelikan being "in trouble"...

When you say that Pelikan is in trouble, what do you mean by that? 

17 hours ago, sansenri said:

I think they are, the Stresemann seems to show more rigour, with those perfect stripes, this new one aims at more eye catching reflections, as far as I can guess from one single image (which is likely a rendering anyway)...

I find M600s to be a nice size for me, anyway

large.1222068943_P1190131-3Pelikan605Stresemann.jpg.d9afc320d2f0243890add87483760092.jpg

That is a really nice looking pen. Is the barrel translucent to allow for checking on ink volume?

Recently I’ve read somewhere that Pelikan is not going to offer translucent barrels in the new models due to som supply shortages and lack of raw materials. Does anyone know if this new M605 tortoiseshell will have Trans Lusche the barrel?  

6 minutes ago, stric75 said:

When you say that Pelikan is in trouble, what do you mean by that? 

As a company, Pelikan has had issues with the fine writing division and getting pens produced. You can browse the past articles at The Pelikan's Perch:

https://thepelikansperch.com/

4 minutes ago, stric75 said:

Recently I’ve read somewhere that Pelikan is not going to offer translucent barrels in the new models due to som supply shortages and lack of raw materials. Does anyone know if this new M605 tortoiseshell will have Trans Lusche the barrel?  

I am curious on this as well, but I expect it to be opaque, since it's release comes after the announcement from Pelikan about changing the barrel design. We'll see, though...

we will have to see, on a recent thread here someone who bought the recently re-launched M800 red reported that the barrel is translucent...

so I'm wondering whether the point is a shortage of material or a precise choice to make some striped models opaque, but some others translucent... the matter still needs clarification

18 hours ago, sansenri said:

we will have to see, on a recent thread here someone who bought the recently re-launched M800 red reported that the barrel is translucent...

so I'm wondering whether the point is a shortage of material or a precise choice to make some striped models opaque, but some others translucent... the matter still needs clarification

Very unlikely it's going to be the similar case for this Black Tortoise IMHO. The recent striped M60x Special Editions have a trend to use opaque barrels. (M600 Pink/Turquoise/Violet/Red Tortoise, M605 Green-White. The M605 White transparent is the ONLY exception). I would be super surprised if the Black Tortoise releases with translucent barrels. (Take my money then! The deal breaker regarding these modern Tortoise is mainly the opaque barrels to me.)

I will know at the end of May/beginning of June. Got a call from the store today that they are ordering one and were told by Pelikan when to expect it.

A few vendors here in the US have been advertising it (not sure if it's in stock or still just a pre-order).  But the pen is WAY out of my price range.... :crybaby:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I noticed this on penchalet today:

"UPDATE: In 2022, Pelikan announced they would be changing the material used on their Souveran models from the transparent material in many past releases to a new opaque material. The Pelikan Souveran 605 Tortoiseshell Black fountain pen will feature the opaque material. (Past tortoiseshell releases already featured the opaque material). "

Oh well.  In the last few weeks, I bought the red and blue M600s while I could.  Those will take care of my "striped Pelikan needs" for a while.  In the past, I ignored them because there was always a special/limited edition to buy and I could get the "normal" models "anytime".  Hopefully someday they will get their supply issues sorted out, and/or release the occasional SE/LE with a window or translucent material.

This is just beautiful and I'm afraid my order will be going in today, even if it blows through my pen budget.

I was very, very happy with the red tortoiseshell - I adore the mixture of the very chatoyant material and the rigid pinstripe lines. This looks like the follow-up. I can imagine this is how tortoise shell would look if steampunk tortoises evolved with silver-plated shells...

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/