PENTEL KERRY P1035 & P1037 MECHANICAL PENCILS: THE PENCIL THAT LOOKS LIKE A FOUNTAIN PEN

donnweinberg

Now I understand, Number99.  It's not the official translation by CDT, but only and algorithmic translation by the browser I use.  Do you believe that the pasted translation (the algorithmic one) is not a reasonably accurate translation from the original Japanese?  🥴

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Peter_H

• Astronymus

• Intensity

6 hours ago, donnweinberg said:

Now I understand, Number99.  It's not the official translation by CDT, but only and algorithmic translation by the browser I use.  Do you believe that the pasted translation (the algorithmic one) is not a reasonably accurate translation from the original Japanese?  🥴

It's a difficult situation.

I am also looking at the sentences translated into Japanese in my browser.

If the translation is not rational, it is not possible to determine which translation software is the cause.

😄

Please let me know if there are any strange or ambiguous translations you have obtained.

For me, English is a ciphertext, so it may be decipherable if you take the time (refer to a random number table called an English-Japanese dictionary).

After a quick read of the English text, there are quite a few omissions.

In Japanese, the symbol "。" Is put at the end of the sentence, so why not translate and concatenate the Japanese sentences one by one by separating them with "。"?

The premise of the explanation in the original text (Japanese) is that the Kelly CDT model is listed as a CDT product manufactured by Pentel.

And first, Kelly's commentary (that part matches your commentary).

Based on that premise, they explain the features of the CDT model as their product.

There is a designer's name, but it is not mentioned that he designed it, it is explained that he is evaluating it, and the original text is ambiguous.

The original text uses a method to gain the understanding and evaluation of the reader by vaguely quoting the "established evaluation". (I don't think it's a good technique)

In that sense, I had to send them an inquiry email.

The best way is to contact CDT directly.

postscript;

The reason I shared the CDT homepage link was intended to suggest that the overseas sales line for this model may be different from Pentel.

That's because I learned in this thread that it's difficult to buy this model overseas.

I don't know how stationery is distributed outside of Japan, but at least the starting line for distribution in Japan is different from other Kelly.

I don't know if things will go well, but I thought that if you approached from a sales line that handles imported stationery instead of Pentel's agency, you may be able to see a way to get it.

Edited by Number99

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing guide. Thanks!

I remember going to the local stationary store to buy my daughter a nice mechanical pencil. I was looking for the Pilot Vanishing Point Mechanical Pencil but they stopped making them a while back.

It was nostalgia, because I used the Pilot pencil when I was in grade 2 and I wanted her to have the same pen.

The clerk told me about the Pentel Kerry. I wrote a few words with it and oh my, what a great mechanical pencil. Little did I know that there is a cult following for the Kerry.

She is super happy about the Kerry and I think it is better than my Pilot and my Rotring 600 in terms of ergonomics.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your collection! I really like my Kerry. It's a great pencil and perfect for the times I need to carry a pencil in my pocket. I did not know there were so many colors.

5 hours ago, doriath19 said:

I did not know there were so many colors.

Until a few hours ago, I had never even heard of Kerry!  I have “sworn off” buying any more fountain pens, but this does not formally extend to other writing instruments. 😬

So, after recently getting a decent ballpoint (Sheaffer Prelude art-deco), I’ve been looking to round things off/out with a mechanical pencil which was not merely utilitarian and came across the Kerry in my searches.

It looks like there are only about 4 or maybe 5 current production colours for this marque (plus the CDT?)  I opted for the P1035KD, which is olive-green.  Should be here by the weekend - can’t wait!

Never would have guessed there was such a cult following - great article, thanks.

Glad to learn that you are getting one.  I don't know if the CDT is still being manufactured, but there seem to be enough of them available for purchase.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:54 PM, donnweinberg said:

Glad to learn that you are getting one.

Thanks, Donn.  It’s here and is even better than I expected.  Lovely colour and finish, discreet branding (including full Pentel model info at 180 degrees to the KERRY imprinting) and great usability.

This really completes my small collection - 6 FPs, 2 Demonstrators, 1 EDC (Kaweco), a legacy (un-inked) Sheaffer Prelude, plus a ballpoint (Prelude art deco) and pencil (Kerry).  So, no more writing instruments (since I have a glass dip-pen too).  Collection complete - and you can quote me!  Strictly a user now, although I do have a few wax seal stamps I could expand…

Congratulations.  I wish I had your self-control with writing instrument buying. 🤪

I was locking for mechanical pencils that won't punch a hole in a bag or pocket today on Amazon and found the 0.7 Kerry. Usually ballpoints as EDC will be dried up at the exact moment you need them or won't write on the paper you get. Fountain pens I usually only use at home or at work. Even though the Lamy pico ballpoint is quite reliable I want a backup. I have the Tombow OnBook at the moment but it's quite fragile and tends to fall apart when pulled from the bag.

I wondered if I should consult the forum before I buy one. Funny, this thread was qite on the top of this section when I opened it. Seems the Kerry is exactly what I'm locking for. How much does one pencil weigh?

14 minutes ago, Astronymus said:

...Seems the Kerry is exactly what I'm locking for. How much does one pencil weigh?

According to Jetpens, 21 grams with lead.

1 hour ago, WalterC said:

According to Jetpens, 21 grams with lead.

Thanks!

On 5/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, donnweinberg said:

Congratulations.  I wish I had your self-control with writing instrument buying. 🤪

We'll see - should be OK, though. I even have enough inks!  😁

Keeping it simple... 🤞

14 hours ago, Astronymus said:

Seems the Kerry is exactly what I'm locking for.

It is a lovely pencil. Light, comfortable and quite compact.  Designed for use posted and mechanically superb. The Ain STEIN leads are lovely, too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 5:57 PM, donnweinberg said:

Hubris got me!  I realised that my EDC never goes into my main pen case, so I had a ‘vacancy’.  A Kaweco tin is on the way for my Sport EDC, as is a Retro 51 rollerball.  Came across these by accident and fell for the Albert - having taught physics for years and worked on thin films and quantum well devices, it was perhaps inevitable.  Exciting!

The good news is that the Albert will be a birthday present (full disclosure has its advantages), so it counts as a ‘gift’.  Whew!

Back to the AMKS, a model with an “Amber” color and chrome/SS trim and band, shown by me as the last photo I provided:  It definitely is a new color, different from "Bronze Gold" and other colors.  There appears to be only one seller of it on Ebay.  

I'm still searching everyday for the VD -- the blue-violet version -- that is so rare.  I've asked a few of the sellers of PK in Japan, and no one has it so far.  The two other 40th Anniversary models remain generally available on Ebay.  Why the VD is so rare is a mystery to me.

Got 2 specimen of the 0,7 Kerry. One in black and one in blue. I'm happy.

• 1 month later...

This is an excellent article, I agree though  with those who found the original font difficult to read. 

I bought a Navy blue one, .7, late last year. Nice pencil which won’t dig your chest or hole your shirt.  At Christmas I brought it over on a family gathering to show my 8-yr old nephew who also likes to draw & let him use it. Sure enough, the little end piece which covers the eraser went missing. I wrote to Pentel USA customer service. They told me Pentel provides a lifetime warranty on the pencil. It took some time,  but they sent me without charge 2 replacement end caps. 

I think this is a great pencil. I wish though that they would return to having the “tip” end, where the lead emerges, made out of metal again, or, at least, offer that as an upgraded model. I’d be willing to pay a bit more for a metal tip. 

I also fancy that special edition black & gold model, but I’ve seen it listed on Amazon for $55.00. That’s nuts so I won’t buy it at that price. 

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com